Hawkesbury Houseboat Again...

aeb870

Speaking to some raiders at the soft plastics workshop, I came to realise that many are experts in this river system and was hoping for some tips / advice. Going out in 2 weeks...

Last time I went out in the Hawkesbury on a houseboat I tried some of the recommended spots such as the rail bridge with no luck. I basically ended up spending most of time at the public mooring near Little Jerusalem Bay (photo attached). In the mornings I was into some Tailor (mainly undersized) but at night I was generally live baiting with yellow tails and must have had 5-6 runs a night that would eventually cut me off shortly after setting the hook. I only managed to convert one of these to a 70cm Flathead; till this day I am not sure what kept cutting me off. Any ideas?

Public moorings just seemed so much less hassle than anchoring, although I don't mind either for a good fishing spot. This time, it's just me and my wife (her first time). I was just looking forward to some tips from any raiders, good spots, etc. Still chasing that first Jewie and I know this river system still holds a few decent fish.

Any tips would basically be great....thanks.

post-15508-0-12009600-1415437528_thumb.jpg

Edited by aeb870

The public moorings usually produce lots of Pike Eels, caught quite a lot when I was moored there.

Wire traces are a must, had a few on the boat and left them till next morning, went to salvage my hooks

and the "B" reared up at me, and one of its teeth pierced my thumb nail, so be warned.

Doing an autopsy later in the day all of them had hooks inside their guts, recovered quite a few.

Cooked one up on the BBQ, full of bones and after one taste it went overboard. Used them in the crab

traps for a few swimmers, so they were not wasted. Used the dingy to fish the slack water behind the headlands,

caught some jewies on the run in tide using this method.

Grandad

Thanks for the replies. It was in December last time, never really caught a hair tail so not sure how the fight. Caught pike eels and seen the teeth in those... Nasty.

Is there any other moorings or locations that are houseboat friendly and produce decent fish?