Hawkesbury Luderick

Centrepin

After 4 years the Luderick are back at some of the old haunts on the Hawkesbury.

While they are high in numbers the size is down from what we saw on their previous visit.

Previously they started at 32 and lots of fish +38.

Now many of the fish are sub 32 with a few at 35 and 36.

Having said that it is easy to get plenty of keeping fish and they fight so hard.

Finding weed is the hardest I have ever seen and I had to resort to cabbage.

They don’t mind cabbage even this far from the Ocean.

Great to see some old friends return and we had some good fun.

IMG_20221223_125729166.jpg

IMG_20221223_125737126_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221223_140015071_HDR.jpg

• Like 17

Only ever fished for Luderick in the Hawkesbury once , I used to work with a bloke who fished for them at Kangaroo point - I didn’t do any good though. I would love to know if the weed flies work better with some scent on them - like s factor etc . 

Edited by XD351
  • Like 1

What a lovely post. Reminiscing the previous time when the Blackfish visited, accompanied by some photos of a beautiful area to fish for them. How long do these visits last?

I love Blackfishing, primarily the traditional way with float and weed, but also fly fishing for them with a weed fly. They are such spirited fish on either type of gear... reminiscent of the early days of when I used to coarse fish in the UK. Good thing about fishing is the wonderful memories of days gone by which were significant in our lives.

Cheers, bn

• Like 3

Thanks for your update Geoff, finding appropriate weed is the perennial issue - one of my buddies sent me a pic of council pressure cleaning the hair weed from Corrimol ocean rock pool a few days ago and there was enormous amount being “flushed away”, might be a while till this source is available again (but it will come back). I guess “one man trash is another man’s treasure”.

• Like 3

Good going Geoff, it’s alway nice to hit up some old spots and reminisce.

The blackfish are quiet in the rivers and creeks down here at the moment.

@XD351Dizzy scent makes a weed scent purposely designed for flies. I’ve used it and although I don’t believe you necessarily get more “downs”, the fish hang onto fly longer making them easier to hook. My catch rate has definitely improved since using it.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Good going Geoff, it’s alway nice to hit up some old spots and reminisce.

The blackfish are quiet in the rivers and creeks down here at the moment.

@XD351Dizzy scent makes a weed scent purposely designed for flies. I’ve used it and although I don’t believe you necessarily get more “downs”, the fish hang onto fly longer making them easier to hook. My catch rate has definitely improved since using it.

Ok Thanks GH ! I had never heard of it - now in search of it as I really want to try the flies . I do love Luderick fishing - have since I first fished for them at Narrabeen lagoon 40+ yrs ago , but I too suffer from the no weed problem  and it is a PIA to drive from near Penrith to the ocean rocks to get cabbage or weed if I want to fish harbour or Hawkesbury. When I was a kid I lived not too far from a decent supply at putney but this disappeared when the rivercat hit the scene .

Any recommendations on weed fly - ie make,colour etc ? I was toying with the idea of trying them and if they work for me maybe tying my own .

Also great report Centrepin!  Some nice chubby luds there ! I notice that your location is Wollongong, do you fish for them down there ? I reckon Wollongong  harbour , port Kembla and Kiama harbour would hold some decent fish !

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, XD351 said:

Ok Thanks GH ! I had never heard of it - now in search of it as I really want to try the flies . I do love Luderick fishing - have since I first fished for them at Narrabeen lagoon 40+ yrs ago , but I too suffer from the no weed problem  and it is a PIA to drive from near Penrith to the ocean rocks to get cabbage or weed if I want to fish harbour or Hawkesbury. When I was a kid I lived not too far from a decent supply at putney but this disappeared when the rivercat hit the scene .

Any recommendations on weed fly - ie make,colour etc ? I was toying with the idea of trying them and if they work for me maybe tying my own .

Also great report Centrepin!  Some nice chubby luds there ! I notice that your location is Wollongong, do you fish for them down there ? I reckon Wollongong  harbour , port Kembla and Kiama harbour would hold some decent fish !

Contact DerekD re the weed flies and best rig to use them effectively. bn

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, XD351 said:

Similar here. I have no problem finding weed close to home in winter, but summer its a 1.5 hour round trip. I successfully kept it alive in an aerated container last year and actually had it growing, though it can be a lot of work.

I tie my own weed flies on Gamakatsu Pan Fish hooks using Tiewell Weed Dubbing in either green, chartreuse, or a blend of both. There simple to tie and there’s a heap of info on YouTube on how to tie them.

You can buy them in tackle stores for about $5 each or get them cheaper on eBay. IMO nothing beats the real thing though and I never seem to do as good using flies as I do on weed.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Nice work @Centrepin. Given your fly fishing skills and your difficulty finding bait, have you ever tried targeting them on fly?

Yes they are good on fly but as you mostly fish downstream you use a "float" indicator, so not really fly fishing. God fun fly fishing when you can see them and cast.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, big Neil said:

What a lovely post. Reminiscing the previous time when the Blackfish visited, accompanied by some photos of a beautiful area to fish for them. How long do these visits last?

I love Blackfishing, primarily the traditional way with float and weed, but also fly fishing for them with a weed fly. They are such spirited fish on either type of gear... reminiscent of the early days of when I used to coarse fish in the UK. Good thing about fishing is the wonderful memories of days gone by which were significant in our lives.

Cheers, bn

Neil,

When they arrive they usually stay till April. Some of the best fishing is just around Anzac day. Then most fish are gone. Winter is slow. Head closer to the ocean to find them.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Burger said:

What a great looking spot to soak some cabbage and drift a float. Must be so very peaceful.

Just now, Centrepin said:

Neil,

When they arrive they usually stay till April. Some of the best fishing is just around Anzac day. Then most fish are gone. Winter is slow. Head closer to the ocean to find them.

13 hours ago, XD351 said:

Only ever fished for Luderick in the Hawkesbury once , I used to work with a bloke who fished for them at Kangaroo point - I didn’t do any good though. I would love to know if the weed flies work better with some scent on them - like s factor etc . 

The Old timers tell me Aniseed oil works a treat. I have some but have never used it. Blackfish are super sensitive to smell. When I handle a fish I always wash my hands before touching the bait. It started with keeping sand off the reel then I found it was working when I caught fish when others didn't so I maintain the practise.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pickles said:

Thanks for your update Geoff, finding appropriate weed is the perennial issue - one of my buddies sent me a pic of council pressure cleaning the hair weed from Corrimol ocean rock pool a few days ago and there was enormous amount being “flushed away”, might be a while till this source is available again (but it will come back). I guess “one man trash is another man’s treasure”.

Bulli, Towradgi and Bellambi are the best ocean pools to get it. Yes they do clean it but it comes back quickly.

• Like 1