Fascinating flathead statistics

Goanna54

Here is a link to a NSW DPI study into the length of the most frequently caught dusky flathead. It appears that by quite a large margin, flathead are caught by recreational fishers and the most common length is around 40cm. The numbers steadily drop after 50+cm and these fish are most likely to be breeding females. It occurs to me (and this is probably a bit of self-interest) that if more fishos practised catch and careful release of fish above 45-50cm then in years to come there will be an increase in the number of larger breeding females and therefore an increase in the number of plate sized fish around 40cm or so for those who like to keep a proportion of their catch for a feed. In my opinion Fisheries should consider increasing the legal length to something above 40cm and no fish above 70cm (I have read this suggestion in another study). This would effectively remove males from the legal catch and leave more breeding females, therefore increasing the breeding rate and more fish for all!!

Cheers Tim

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/375878/Dusky-Flathead.pdf

While it may sound a good idea Tim, I don't need any more restrictions from Fisheries. While the bigger females produce more eggs, the smaller females still contain plenty of eggs in their roes.

While most flatties over 50cm are females, a few I caught were males.

As for the big females, can anyone provide any evidence they still produce plenty of eggs?

For the record, it is a myth than flathead are A sexual fish and the larger ones are breeders. They remain the sex they were born. However, the larger female species do produce more eggs than the smaller ones, thus producing more offspring.

Cheers scratchie!!!