No Salmon On Sunday

James P

Hi All,

After that great Salmon session on friday i thought i would try my luck again on sunday morning so my friend and i headed out at 5am and got there in half an hour. We were the third boat out and in the next hour 20 or so more joined.

It took 1 and a hlaf hours for the first sighting of them and we raced over and they were right around us so as i went to cast my lucky stick bait in that landed 3 on friday a massive tanlge came from no where :ranting2: and so i grabbed abother rod but by then they dissapeared. There was only about 3 more sightings in the next 3 hours and seeing most boats were anchored there was only 3 of us racing over to little effect, i got two hits but no love from the salmon and then a brown bird took my lure and flew into the sky, but thankfully did not hook into its beak. In between we were drifting and pulled up a nice little parrot fish, a nice little trevally about 33 cm from about 30m of water on the bottom, about 5 flathead each about a massive 10 cm long ( we didnt realize they were on our line), and one which spiked me 4 times with its glands in one movement and hurt. Just as we were leaving we pulled our lines in only to find both our lines had been cut above the sinkers clean through (one 10kg line and one 4kg line) does anyone know what might have done this, we didnt feel anything our tackle just vanished.

So then we went back behind the roseville bridge as far as we could go and caught some fun litttle bream. All in all a bit of a let down on the big fish but the smaller ones kept us amused, Back to work now :wacko: but cant be helped, hope some of you had better luck. Cant wait untill friday!!!!!!!!

I KNOW that people say they are fun to catch,an i got to agree,but just wondering how many people actually eat the Salmon they catch,or do most of you guys release them?

Ive only once kept 1,an tryed eating it :1yikes: Never again :1yikes: .

So bootom line i dont even waste my time with them anymore,prefer to be out wide trolling :thumbup:

Friday was the first time we caught them and my boss ate 1 my family ate 2 and my girfriends family ate 2 ( i love fishing with a passion but will not eat fish) and now i think when they said they were yum they were probably just being polite :mad3: , HAHAH oh well, i am only going to catch them for fun now though, great fight on light tackle.

I KNOW  that people say they are fun to catch,an i got to agree,but just wondering how many people actually eat the Salmon they catch,or do most of you guys release them?

Ive only once kept 1,an tryed eating it  :1yikes: Never again :1yikes: .

So bootom line i dont even waste my time with them anymore,prefer to be out wide trolling :thumbup:

66531[/snapback]

G'day mate i caught and kept one on saturday and i bled and skinned and filleted it, made up a beer batter and deep fried the fillets, i thought it tasted pretty good, i've had nicer fish but i also really enjoy the tatse of fish. And i had a few cans under my belt by that point!

actually thats pretty normal pags...

happened a lot when i used to work on a fishing charter. dont know why but they 'enjoy' biting off sinkers

one bloke sent a sinker down on a hook once in hope of catching one (to my disgust and a waste of resources).

of corse he didnt catch one beause that would be insane but the hook that held the sinker was bitten clean off

66580[/snapback]

:1yikes: maybe they know more than we think they know :1naughty:

pags

Hey guys,

Thats crazy :1yikes: , that would probably explain it then as we caught a huge one in the same spot on friday, it was a clean cut so it makes sense and i still had a lot of line to wind in, the cheeky devil, the amount of tackle people must have lost to these fish would be huge, the next one i pull in i am going to make sure whoever eats its appreciates the effort :biggrin2:

I KNOW  that people say they are fun to catch,an i got to agree,but just wondering how many people actually eat the Salmon they catch,or do most of you guys release them?

Ive only once kept 1,an tryed eating it  :1yikes: Never again :1yikes: .

66531[/snapback]

Are we still talking about eating????!!!!

I found salmon pretty ordinary when baked :thumbdown: ...

and ok when fried. :wacko:

However, grilling them in Cutlets on the BBQ in that McKormacks "Lemon and Pepper" seasoning is pretty good. :thumbup:

I also make it a habit of bleeding and (with salmon) gutting them as soon as they are in the boat as well...this might help

Salmon are a fair to good eating fish by my standards, although the bigger they are the drier they tend to be when cooked.

I've found that the smaller ones are great when cooked as fillets etc...

With the bigger ones they start lacking flavour that we enjoy in our many reef fish, my advice, fish cakes. Damn eay to make, alls you need is a few salmon and a few spuds, crumbed with a few herbs. beautiful on the BBQ with some lemon juice.

Just remember bleed them asap and cut out the red lateral muscles before cooking. You can't go wrong. :thumbup:

Dave

If you have any scent of bait or burley on your line the jackets will bite through at that point.

Salmon are fair tucker in my book - bled and iced, filleted and skinned and cut into strips dipped into beer batter laced with freshly ground black pepper and deep fried they are more than passable.

I would keep one or two for a feed and release the others caught that day.