Yowie Bay Boat Ramp - Sunday 23.11.14

sydney south

Yesterday afternoon, I witnessed the worst behaviour at a boat ramp in all my years.

To give you an idea. I am 48 and have had boats since I was 12 and generally put 50 - 100 hours an a boat yearly.

There were people jumping overboard and swimming around with all the boats.

People doing burnouts when leaving the ramp - one bloke for at least 20metres.

Taking off at full speed when they could not get a spot - 8 knot zone.

Cue jumping and arguments.

I also saw three minor collisions between boats.

In general, no one had an idea how to behave.

Everyone was just thinking of how they could get their boat out the quickest.

One poor lady was struggling backing the trailer, only to have all look at her with no help. To a gentleman's credit, he did come over and assist and got the trailer in the water for her.

You lot need to sell your boats and learn to work with others to get the job done before owning another boat.

Disgusting behaviour.....

Yesterday afternoon, I witnessed the worst behaviour at a boat ramp in all my years.

To give you an idea. I am 48 and have had boats since I was 12 and generally put 50 - 100 hours an a boat yearly.

There were people jumping overboard and swimming around with all the boats.

People doing burnouts when leaving the ramp - one bloke for at least 20metres.

Taking off at full speed when they could not get a spot - 8 knot zone.

Cue jumping and arguments.

I also saw three minor collisions between boats.

In general, no one had an idea how to behave.

Everyone was just thinking of how they could get their boat out the quickest.

One poor lady was struggling backing the trailer, only to have all look at her with no help. To a gentleman's credit, he did come over and assist and got the trailer in the water for her.

You lot need to sell your boats and learn to work with others to get the job done before owning another boat.

Disgusting behaviour.....

I I experienced a similar thing at grays point ramp lastyear.

A women with her boat waiting for hubby to come with the trailer and people pushing and shoving.

This lady was in tears by the time I helped them load their boat.

Some idiot decided to have a go at me accusing me of pushing in after I had waited in line with my trailer.

I simply ignored him, pushed my boat of the beach past his and loaded.

Unfortunately it looks like the good weather weekends bring them out in droves.

If only they would remember to bring their brains, patience and commonsense.

Cheers.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

Hi Mate,

I have seen this a lot these days, a lot of boaties don't care about the rule anymore. Especially PWC drivers, full throttle at no wash zone. No keep distance between vessels and swimmers. Dumping rubbish to the water. We need more water police to get this scumbags.

Shame.

Foreshore ramp was manic aswell

People unload there boat and dont even move it up the dock just where it came off the trailer then multiple had to jumpstart boats and the amount of jetskis gunning it around the dock and inbetween the two was disgusting. Myself and two other fishos waited for a littke before backing out rigs down together ... sure we could have gone straight away but it was just dangerous with the jetskis and amount of people in the dock. Im with scratchie out real early and back before the mayhem really kicks in

Seen it all at Drummoyne I usually fish Saturday or during the week but Sunday is when the stupid people come. People parking cars in trailer spots because there is a footy feild near by they think it's the parking for some reason. Funniest thing one day when there was a big game on and about 10 cars with no trailers were parked and the ranger comes over and people start running to their cars but he moved quick and they got booked. I've seen a family decide they'll park their boat in the reversing area and their other car in the other reversing area and have a chat for 30mins while they causally got their boat ready. I've seen a old guy try to get his tiny little inflatable dingy onto his box trailer and another guy with a boat try and reverse down past him this was only on one lane they got annoyed at each other and the old guy took for ever. I've even seen a sail boat take up one hole side of the pontoon where the double lane is to set up there sails while there was a massive wait I've even seen and group of people having a tea party in the back of there sail boat while tied up to the wharf. I've seen people prepare and put their straps on half way down the ramp.

They need something like a life gaurd tower watching all the people and telling people to move on or booking them

The trick is to drop the person who gets the car let them reverse and then drive on put the strap on and get out of there as quick as possible

Cheers sydneyfisher12

The key is to leave early and get back early! I don't want to even get into the amount of dumb ass things I've seen at a boat ramp. ( I live in the tourist area port Stephens)

All we can do, is lead by example!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Too right...

lead by example and give them and hand where possible.

Cheers

Jim

Guest Aussie007

the worse thing u can do is sit back and talk to your mates how it should be done, step up and help these people

It's even better to drop the person on a boat that's hogging the pontoon, give them a thumbs up while you walk across their boat.

i once was that boat hogging the pontoon but i waited my turn while many boats dropped off a driver than motored back out to deeper water i idled and waited patiently for a turn to use the pontoon, its not actually hogging the pontoon mate people need to tie up for various reason's, being alone,engine problems, no drive on trailer, new to boating less handling skills, the list is endless... if u see them tie up and crack open the champaine and have a cigaret than fair enough say something

the time i was "hogging the pontoon" some asshole decided to drop his mate off and walk all over the bow of my boat in disrespect than they had a laugh about it, im a believer in karma and it would have been there turn since... people like that need to be thrown in the water

We were at Cooks river one day, I was watching a young guy with P Plates struggling to back a trailer with an XR6 Ute, he had it sidewise, over the ramp dividers, you name it, he just kept mucking it up.

His mate in the boat was yelling at him.

I finally went over and asked if he wanted a hand, before I finished, he'd slammed the handbrake on and flung the door open. I'm looking at him and thinking, oh no here we go.

He said mate please, it's a manual and I'm not used to it...

I backed it in for him, but also spent 5 minutes explaining what I was doing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We were at Cooks river one day, I was watching a young guy with P Plates struggling to back a trailer with an XR6 Ute, he had it sidewise, over the ramp dividers, you name it, he just kept mucking it up.

His mate in the boat was yelling at him.

I finally went over and asked if he wanted a hand, before I finished, he'd slammed the handbrake on and flung the door open. I'm looking at him and thinking, oh no here we go.

He said mate please, it's a manual and I'm not used to it...

I backed it in for him, but also spent 5 minutes explaining what I was doing

Funny... I always thought Manuals reversed the same as autos with only 1 reverse gear :sun:

Walking on someone elses boat is disrespectful and certainly not endorsed unless they invite you on.

I Launch/retrieve solo all the time, funny how no one says anything to me even if i am taking a little more time than usual. If i saw someone struggling id help out.... because i know when its windy my job of a solo retrieve on a ramp without a pontoon is a nightmare and i'd love someone to throw me a hand!

So how about instead of sitting back complaining about how crap launching a boat is on a busy ramp... help people out who need it!

Good on those who help out!

If people are genuinely struggling yes!!! jump in and give a helping hand 100 percent

on wind days in yowie I'd had people grab my boat docking it and I do the same but if I'm waiting to back in and there are people on the ramp doing idiotic things like blasting all over the place on jetskis and spinning the boat around causing other boats to bang around then sorry those who act like idiots at the ramp are on there own.. Just my opinion but I agree that if someone's genuinely struggling help out and I try to if needed

I always help and teach if I can at the ramp and have even walked down beside the drivers door and guided the driver.

Before my son went down to ramp for the first time, he watched all he could about backing trailers on you tube. Then practiced backing the boat in the street and driveway at home.

He does an okay job of it at the ramp, even under pressure and will only get better.

But when people are just plain idiots and inconsiderate. That's when I get frustrated. If more people worked together at ramps it would be so much quicker and there would be less ramp rage.

We should help when we can.

These people at Yowie on Sunday were thinking that they had the right to carry on like fools.

Unfortunately a selection of the JetSki community can be hoons on the water. This will never change. We need to also understand at times boat ramps aren't just for boats but kayaks, tinnies, jetskis, charter boats, skiboats and even construction barges. As well as the ramps the same applies to the water. We as fishermen just need to be patient and understand people will always be idiots.

The reversing a manual was probably down to not knowing what to do with a clutch pedal.

I was in a queue on the water at gunamatta for ages on Sunday as droves of jet skies launched. One after another after another and then leaving thier craft on the only bit of ground you can beach you boat to go and get your trailer. Then dissappear for ages while they tried to find a parking spot. I sat patiently untill they had all gone but did chuckle as I left my empty parking spot opposite the ramp knowing the long walk they would have when they returned. Isn't it common sense? If you see someone waiting to come in you may get a parking spot.

This is why i hate summer. Well the fact that cricket is on instead of League as well.

Fortunately i have a nice quiet ramp close by that gets very little traffic.

Dave

And that is why I don't use boat ramps......and why I have a to on the boat!

Hi Raiders,

I put my boat in at Oatley Bay normally and I must be lucky as our residents are generally ok. The ramp itself is good, 3 wide (as long as you know what you're doing), good jetty, good conditions. Yes, sometimes there are slowpokes, sometimes someone takes up 2 lanes and sometimes people are tied up at the jetty for a while for whatever reason. Sometimes the latter is me waiting for my guests to arrive. All you need to do is keep a watch out and temporarily move off if someone needs the spot. Overall folk are friendly and accomodating. Not always but mostly. I am a great believer in 'you reap what you sow', and happily it seems to work ok there. It's hardly difficult to help people tie up, shift boats etc.

In my old home port in Redcliffe, QLD, I remember waiting to put my boat in at the Clontarf ramp and seeing the van ahead of me making a complete hash of it. After a quick chat I hopped in and backed it down for them - the experienced one wasn't there yet, so they were very appreciative. As per the earlier post I took the time to give them a few tips.

More recently I took my daughter and her boyfriend fishing in Botany Bay. I got him to drive the trailer out and park after we went in, and as he had never backed a boat, when we came back (nice and quiet), explained the basics, put him in the driver's seat and talked him through the process. The next time we went fishing he did it himself. Not a big investment and now he has another skill in his arsenal. And we all get better working ramps.

Regards, Brad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk