Topping up braid

SgtBundy

One of my reels has lost some line through normal attrition and I think it might be at the point where it is starting to affect casting just with the resistance to come off the spool. There is still a heap of line on there, and I don't want to waste it just to top up.

I figure my best bet is to unspool the braid, put some backing on (options are 15lb mono or more of the same braid), then join on the original braid and fill it back up again. This should put the join far enough along the line that it really should not come into play (and if it does with 50lb braid, I am gone regardless) and I also don't want a joining knot that is likely to interfere with casting.

Is this the way to do it or am I just overthinking it and causing myself a lot of work?

General practice is mono backing mate, if it's enough to feel like it's hindering casting definitely run it off and back on with the mono. If If you can get more braid underneath with the same method then do that I reckon

If you have a couple of spare spools/reels you can put the mono/backing of choice on top of the braid on your reel to the perfect capacity, then take the backing off onto spare spool A then all of the rest of the line off onto spare spool B. Put the backing from spare spool A then the line from spare spool B back on and you will have a perfectly filled spool without having to guess how much backing to add. If there is already some backing under the braid you can just remove the braid part to spare spool B and put the new backing from spare spool A between the old backing and the braid to save winding

Definitely take off all the braid and add whatever you want to backfill it. In the process I'd suggest reversing your braid as well so the nice new looking stuff from the bottom of the spool is what you're fishing with.

An easy way to do this is to screw a bolt through the lid of a 1.25l bottle and stick that into a drill, then you can easily run all your line from the reel onto the bottle using the drill instead of your wrist, then if you do want to reverse the line before putting it back onto your reel, change to another 1.25l bottle (can use the same lid with bolt) and wind the line onto the 2nd bottle before back onto the reel.

if this doesn't make sense i can take a pic of mine, I can't remember where I found this online, might have even been here?

You should always have mono backing on a braided spool anyway. If you get a decent fish and your braid doesn't have the right tension, all your braid could start spinning on the reel and your going nowhere. All my braided reels have some mono backing!

Cheers scratchie!!!

You should always have mono backing on a braided spool anyway. If you get a decent fish and your braid doesn't have the right tension, all your braid could start spinning on the reel and your going nowhere. All my braided reels have some mono backing!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Any specs on the backing? same grade as the braid? How much backing?

I am moving from mono to braid so very curious of the above.

Any specs on the backing? same grade as the braid? How much backing?

I am moving from mono to braid so very curious of the above.

that all depends on size of reel and how mich braid you have. my general rule is not to use lighter mono backing than the mainline coz if a fish does manage to strip all your braid you don't want the mono to break.

I find that masking tape on the spool gives enough grip once there are a few turns. I always put loads of tension on after the first couple of turns and have never had slippage. If you get to the arbour knot your in trouble

With the exception of one reel. I never use backing. I just buy big spools of braid and fill them up.

Edited by NaClH2OK9

Linc. - the only issue with reversing the braid is if you have a weak point 10 meters in then when it snaps you lose 90 meters of braid instead of 10. Found this out the hard way! If you are going to reverse check the first 10-20 meters for abrasions!

I find that masking tape on the spool gives enough grip once there are a few turns. I always put loads of tension on after the first couple of turns and have never had slippage. If you get to the arbour knot your in trouble

With the exception of one reel. I never use backing. I just buy big spools of braid and fill them up.

To the guys using braid here's an idea.

Grab yourself a old/new bicycle tube slightly smaller in diameter than your spools.

Cut some rings out of the bicycle tube the thickness of your spool making sure you remove the powder from the insides of the tube with a damp rag.

Stretch the ring over your spool and tie on your mono/ braid and fill her up.

The beauty of this is no mucking around with tape etc to avoid slippage and you can fill the spool straight through with braid if you so wish as it will not slip.

Give it a try.

Cheers.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

Linc. - the only issue with reversing the braid is if you have a weak point 10 meters in then when it snaps you lose 90 meters of braid instead of 10. Found this out the hard way! If you are going to reverse check the first 10-20 meters for abrasions!

Yeah good point, you don't want to be putting damaged braid onto your spool no matter where it is on the spool, always pays to check

I opted to just go the top shot with a double uni knot and tack on more braid - it was down a lot lower than I thought so it took quite a lot of line to top up. Will see how it plays out when I get out on the weekend and if I dont like it I can go through the work to reverse it and bury the knot further in.

I never thought of that, that is a good point. Looks like I'll be spending more on braid now, thanks tef1on

Definitely take off all the braid and add whatever you want to backfill it. In the process I'd suggest reversing your braid as well so the nice new looking stuff from the bottom of the spool is what you're fishing with.

An easy way to do this is to screw a bolt through the lid of a 1.25l bottle and stick that into a drill, then you can easily run all your line from the reel onto the bottle using the drill instead of your wrist, then if you do want to reverse the line before putting it back onto your reel, change to another 1.25l bottle (can use the same lid with bolt) and wind the line onto the 2nd bottle before back onto the reel.

if this doesn't make sense i can take a pic of mine, I can't remember where I found this online, might have even been here?

Hi Linc,

Could you please post a picture, coz I'd like to add a bit more backing to my reel.

thanks

Richard