How to Fish?

tc1151

Hey Everyone,

So... It might sound like a silly question... but i don't know how to fish. Usually I use a float to fish which makes it a lot easier to detect if you have a fish on, but how do you fish without a float? Like sometimes i feel there is a pull when i don't fish with a float and just with a sinker and a hook, when should I set the hook? and how? What are the little taps as well? do i set the hook when there are little taps?or just the large ones? Sometimes i would leave my rod on the railing and i would see the tip bounce a little should i set it then? also, with circle hooks, when do you know that there is a fish on? do you just lift the rod up slowly and reel?

Sorry for the questions.. but it gets really frustrating when you just don't know how to fish properly and don'y get the results at the end of the day

Thanks in advance guys!

If you're getting a lot of little taps but not hooking up it could be more to do with the size of hook you are using. Try a smaller hook (maybe size 6 or even 8 long shank) and you might find that some of those picky fish will hook themselves. Generally you wait for the little taps to become a more solid tug and then set the hooks but there is no perfect science to this, a lot is up to chance.

You're right with circle hooks, just lift the rod and wind if you feel the fish.

Hey Everyone,

So... It might sound like a silly question... but i don't know how to fish. Usually I use a float to fish which makes it a lot easier to detect if you have a fish on, but how do you fish without a float? Like sometimes i feel there is a pull when i don't fish with a float and just with a sinker and a hook, when should I set the hook? and how? What are the little taps as well? do i set the hook when there are little taps?or just the large ones? Sometimes i would leave my rod on the railing and i would see the tip bounce a little should i set it then? also, with circle hooks, when do you know that there is a fish on? do you just lift the rod up slowly and reel?

Sorry for the questions.. but it gets really frustrating when you just don't know how to fish properly and don'y get the results at the end of the day

Thanks in advance guys!

I use running sinker rigs fished as light as I can get away with according to the conditions on the day.

Somedays fish will hit your baits aggressively other days they can be very timid biters.

What I do when I'm fishing and I'm getting those very light taps,I drop the rod tip to give the fish some slack line watching the line the whole time for it to go taught knowing that the fish has taken my bait then I simply give the rod a swift strike and fight the fish.

90% of the time this method works for me.

Other times I open the bail and feed line out as above then flip it shut and strike when I think i have a fish on.

I either always hold my rod with the line resting on my index finger in-between the tip of the finger and the first knuckle to maximize the sensitivity to be able to feel for bites.

If I'm fishing a fixed rod I'll cast out,place the rod in a rod holder with a very light drag and kick back and wait for that reel to go off or the tip off that rod to bend indicating a bite.

I do the same thing as above,i calmly pick the rod up,tighten the drag a little,drop the rod tip and when that line goes taught I strike.

Other times fish will hook themselves with no imput from yourself even on standard hooks.

I always fish as lightly weighted rigs as I can get away with letting them waft in the current.

And berley without fail when anchored to the spot wether in my boat or landbased.

This is the basics of what works for me most of the time for all the estuary species I target.

Cheers.

I either always hold my rod with the line resting on my index finger in-between the tip of the finger and the first knuckle to maximize the sensitivity to be able to feel for bites.

This is how I was taught also. It seems strange to see people fishing, just holding the rod, and trying to sense bites without touching the line. I see it on TV fishing shows too.

I forgot to mention in my previous post if you really want to learn when a fish has taken your bait or not, nothing teaches you how to feel for bites,pay out line when need be,set the hook and fight the fish like the humble hand caster.

It's a shame you don't see people using them much anymore these days as they certainly can teach you a great deal about fishing.

I always have a few in the boat rigged to go and on more than one occasion they've out fished the rods.

The rig that never fails is the simple hook tied directly to the line or a tiny ball sinker running freely down to the hook wafting enticingly through the current and berley trail.

Cheers.

Cheers.

Thanks Guys! I think I have a pretty good understanding of it now! Going fishing tomorrow so I'll try and see if I can improve my hook up rate! Thanks NaCIH2OK9 for the offer, but I'm afraid that my parents won't let me as i'm still too young.. sigh.. I guess I'll have a try of hand lining in the future~, but in regards to that.. how would you set the hook when hand lining?

Wish Me Luck!~

Again, Thanks!~

Good luck tc. Raiders has some great socials / demos from time to time. Keep your eyes open. You could get your folks to bring you along. Good family friendly events. I'll be bringing my daughter to the next fishing focused one.

Edited by NaClH2OK9

To cast a hand-caster stand facing your target with the face of the hand-caster at your side in your left hand facing the direction you wish to cast to.

Let out enough line so you can grasp the line just above the sinker with your right hand and make an underarm back and through swing letting go of the line at the point of release.(As you swing forward it helps to point at the target as you release the line).

The shorter the backswing and follow through the shorter the cast.....vice versa for a long cast.

Also it pays to coil the loose loops of line neatly at your feet instead of coiling it directly back on the hand caster when fighting a fish as this greatly reduces line twist i find.

But be warned you need a fair amount of uncluttered workspace available.

I get around this by feeding line into a shallow round tub I keep on board my boat as i retrieve the loose line.

Hope this helps buddy.

Good Luck!!!

You can also, if there is room, instead of just a backswing, swing the line with sinker/hook on the end, in a complete vertical circle a few times to build up speed, just make sure you release it when it will go sailing out over the water :)

Also, I tend to use thicker lines as handlines, as they tangle less, and also cut your hand less if a huge fish grabs it and goes for a run while you are trying to stop it. Out on the reef I always wear gloves and use 80lb handline.

Sounds like you are pretty keen, and if you are already getting bites, well done, you are half way there! We all start out the same way and it just takes practice. Try to find someone with a bit of experience to go with you a few times. Nothing wrong with aiming for, and catching, small fish until you get the feel. Keep practising and good luck!!

Welcome to the forum young fella and it's great to see the younger generation embracing the sport of fishing.

There are many articles that will help you on this forum and none more informative than the link below.

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=75194#entry534688

Read up, go out and have a go, and we all look forward to you reporting back on your adventures!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Hi,

I tried to teach myself how to fly fish. In fact I could tie a fly before I could catch a trout!

Anyway, lots of fruitless sessions on the river with no luck at all.

Went out one day up to the Blue Mountains with an old feller who'd taken pity on me and I was catching fish almost straight away. The moral of the story is to get out for a day with someone who knows how to fish and who is prepared to take time out to show you what to do.

I had exactly the same experience learning to fish for blackfish off the rocks. Teaching myself took months of weekly fishing trips before I managed one fish. Then I overheard a fellow student at uni talking about fishing. I introduced myself to him. Stuart was a full on hippie and me a rugger bugger. He was very generous in the way he taught me everything from catching fish to making floats, how to read rock platforms, securing cleats to sandshoes using coathanger wire, gathering all sorts of baits for all sorts of fish. We became really good friends. We've lost touch after all these years and I hope he is well.

They are the memories of a lifetime and truly they are what fishing is all about.

There's a beginner's section here and mentors aplenty. Go for it.

In the meantime, learn your knots, read, and go fishing.

Good luck, keep at it and you'll get there.

KB

If you're land based and have access to deepish water - id personally get a couple of 85c loaves of bread from woolies and half a kilo of prawns - put a loaf of bread in a bucket and put just enough water in it for the bread to soak it all up - mush it up and chuck in a couple of handfuls every 5-10 minutes or so - then just send your prawn (peeled) down unweighted in the trail. sure fire way to catch a few fish. and try focus on an early morning/late afternoon high tide.

• 1 month later...