My "ozzie angling adventures" Report 25 - the final one.

snatcher

This report sees me having a few days down at Bermagui trying to catch my nemisis - a flathead !!!!

My mate Frank (some of you know him as Nimrod) picked my up at my daughters at Frenchs Forest and we headed south down to Bermigui,boat in tow. The route down the coast was familiar to me as on our first trip to oz I had hired a car and driven down the coast to Melbourne and then onto Adelaide.

It was red hot on the drive down and as there was no air con in the car we had the windows wound down. Consequently as we drove though the wooded areas the sikadas were absolutely deafening,I could not believe how loud they were. We also had a detour to make due to bush fires.

Frank had arranged for us to stay at his mate Rogers house for a couple of nights. It was a lovely place about a 20 minute drive west of Bermagui. Here are a couple of pictures of it.

post-34124-0-01481400-1420284901_thumb.jpg

They also had a couple of friendly magpies that knocked on the window for food. Here is a picture of me feeding them :sun:

post-34124-0-78416900-1420285044_thumb.jpg

Bermagui was also a lovely place

post-34124-0-36581300-1420285107_thumb.jpg

post-34124-0-14959300-1420285149_thumb.jpg

Anyway back to the fishing,it was to rough to fish out at sea so we elected to fish the tidal part of the river. On the first day we tried a variety of lures and baits to try and nail that flathead but we did not get a single bite between us :mad3: Frank suggested that the water temperature was still a bit too cold.

On our second and last day we again launched at the same spot

post-34124-0-42903200-1420285454_thumb.jpg

It really was a grey overcast day and again in the morning session not a bite between us. The afternoon session was proving just as difficult but just before last knockings Roger managed to get a flathead on a lure. :sun:

post-34124-0-37109000-1420285624_thumb.jpg

Well it was down to the last cast or two of the day when guess what ? YIPPPPEEEEEEEEEEE

post-34124-0-88128100-1420285923_thumb.jpg

It was not a big flathead but hey,I eventually managed to catch one. It had been a great trip down to Bermagui and the craic had been good with plenty of fishing tales being told :sun: Great hospitality from Roger and his wife too. Also a great thank you to Frank for arranging it.

Well fellow Raiders,this is my last report from my previous 4 trips to your great country. I have tried to pick/do a series of reports which have covered a fair representation of some of my fishing. My species count now stands at 43,a large proportion of which came off the Barrier Reef and from Port Douglas.

I hope you have enjoyed my reports and it would be great to try and meet/fish with a few of you guys when we come back over this year :sun: Never managed to catch a jewie yet - anyone fancy taking this old pommie bar steward out to try and catch one ? :sun:

John

Thanks for all your reports john. They have made for some interesting reading. Like all of us you have chose a great past time to enjoy during your travels. The sad bit is, you have probably seen more of this country than us occa's! Thanks again for sharing.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks for all your reports john. They have made for some interesting reading. Like all of us you have chose a great past time to enjoy during your travels. The sad bit is, you have probably seen more of this country than us occa's! Thanks again for sharing.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks for the kind feedback Raiders :sun: I can wedge a few more UK angling reports on if you want. As you probably know I am quite a keen photographer so would there be any interest in me doing a photographic dairy of our travels around your great country ?

Also cheers "GoingFishing" for that kind offer to take me out on a fishing session. That would be great :fishing1::sun:

John