Bad corrosion on punt

high_speed_metal

Hey Raiders, I purchased a little 11ft flat bottom punt the other month cheap with a motor and have some corrosion work to do, I done the bung because a lot of water was leaking through there but after more coming in behind the engine board I decided to rip that off and have a look and was I glad I did, Holes everywhere haha!

Advice I need is, I can only access one side of the aluminium that corroded so what should I do? the back part on the outside is welded on. should I cut it off to fix it propertly?

What should I use to seal the holes, I was thinking about some kind of filler, sand that prime and paint? then put a new motor board on.

Any help with someone who has been through this before would be awesome, I don't have any money to take it into a boat repear joint.

I did serch through the forums but come up with a lot of mixed idea's.

Regards

Hushy.

post-9132-0-41191800-1420428199_thumb.jpg

post-9132-0-27948600-1420428210_thumb.jpg

post-9132-0-88600000-1420428221_thumb.jpg

mmmmm that sux i would cut the whole section out and replace it what you can see with the pitting is only half the problem the whole area is corroded if you get the holes welded a pin hole turns into a hole the size off a 10 cent peace but having said that and being short off coin a patch job may work for a while i would just be a bit worryed about how sound the ass end is cheers gary

filler is a cheap & easy fix for small holes but your boat is beyond that.

Welding is an option but for the No. of holes you have would become also expensive & , I suspect the metal is very thin & as fast as you fill one hole another will appear.

As Gary suggested replacing the whole transom is the best but , again not cheap.

Considering you are on a budget & don't want to spend a lot of $$$ on something you may only keep for a short while I would be leaning towards the plywood option as mentioned above or , purchase a sheet of Aluminium cut it to size , apply a generous amount of sikaflex 291 or a suitable silicon around the holes & edges then pop rivot the sheet on.

It may nit look too flash but will do the job at a reasonable price & if you cover the whole transom will give it a bit more strength.

Geoff

Thanks for all the replys,

It does only have an 8HP on it, and used on flat water (Clyde River)

I will be doing the marine ply accross the back on the inside and a smaller part on the outside, Im also going to fill the holes and paint it to slow the process a little.

I'm sure it will be fine for a few more years. (Hope)

Guest Aussie007

looks to be electrolisis from a bad earthed battery or power from the engine as its only happen around where the engine is bolted on

your 6 engine mounting bolt holes look ok but u do have some cancer around the outsides of some of the holes

im with the other guys on this one get the whole section cut out and weld in a new sheet it wont be cheap but any aluminium welder with a quality machine could weld that in no time flat with a mig welder and get a brace put on the inside of the transom for some strength as the only strength u seem to have is that top lip

i read your strapped for cash so maybe the better option is to clean it up than use some JB Weld its an epoxy metal just tape one side and fill the holes, another option is to drill out each hole to a certain size say 5mm than use a 5mm stainless bolt and sikaflex it in

Advice I need is, I can only access one side of the aluminium that corroded so what should I do? the back part on the outside is welded on. should I cut it off to fix it properly?

What do you mean by only having access to one side?

And what was bolted on to the transom on the top Starboard side?

There is no way that I would cover the corrosion with ply, you would never know what is going on under the ply.

Save your money and have it done properly, much too dangerous the way it is. You could end up tearing the back out of the boat and sinking, Even if you are a good swimmer and always wear a lifejacket that could be very awkward or even fatal, especially if you take kids out.

This is probably not what you wanted to hear.

Cheers

Paikea

Mate,don't mean to be rude but that boat looks more like a colander than a boat.

I wouldn't waste time mucking around patching that for a second rate job,it's pretty much too far gone.

I'm with Paikea for all the reasons he mentioned +more.

I would save up some coin and get the transom replaced properly and while your there find out what the cause of this was in the first place otherwise you'll eventually suffer the same outcome.

The water isn't somewhere I'd be skimping ob boat repairs/maintenance if I were you.

Cheers.

looks to be electrolisis from a bad earthed battery or power from the engine as its only happen around where the engine is bolted on

your 6 engine mounting bolt holes look ok but u do have some cancer around the outsides of some of the holes

im with the other guys on this one get the whole section cut out and weld in a new sheet it wont be cheap but any aluminium welder with a quality machine could weld that in no time flat with a mig welder and get a brace put on the inside of the transom for some strength as the only strength u seem to have is that top lip

i read your strapped for cash so maybe the better option is to clean it up than use some JB Weld its an epoxy metal just tape one side and fill the holes, another option is to drill out each hole to a certain size say 5mm than use a 5mm stainless bolt and sikaflex it in

the engine pad caused it, salt build up behind it and it etchs eats into the ally underneath as its never flushed

nearly every boat will have damage behind the engine pad if left long enough

Yeah well I just cleaned it right out and filled it with you Knead it. sealed it with a crap load of marine silicone if it holds for a few years I will be happy, its still very strong and is never in open choppy water only still fresh brackish water.

I agree its not the best avenue but but at the end of the day with close monitoring I'm sure it will be fine for a while.

Cheers for the input.