Massive Prawns- Port Hacking

FishingGuy

Hey Raiders,

Just a short report but managed to get out to Lilli Pilli landbased. Not much fish, actually not a bite all night. The rainy weather didn't make it much better. But there were some massive prawns around, can anyone explain this because I never thought there would be prawns this big in the Hacking, easily 15cm long.

Cheers,

FishingGuy

Edited by FishingGuy

Where.

The whole of the waters of Port Hacking and its tributaries, upstream of a line drawn southerly from the southernmost extremity of Hungry Point to the northernmost extremity of Cabbage Tree or Pulpit Point.

Methods of fishing prohibited.

Any method involving the use of the following:

a a hoop or lift net,

b a hand-hauled prawn net,

c a crab trap,

d a lobster trap,

e a push or scissors net (prawns).

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/info/closures/rec-sw-loc/central-coast-index/port-hacking#Port-Hacking---Nets-and-Traps

Edited by NaClH2OK9

Big Pete, Overdraft.

Sorry to inform you but you two blokes are totally wrong. I looked into this matter last year

Here is the link to the post I made about it then

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=74775&hl=

Here is an the exert from the legislation.

Banned fishing Methods

Port Hacking—Nets and Traps
The whole of the waters of Port Hacking or its tributaries to the westward of a line drawn southerly from the southernmost extremity of Hungry Point to the northernmost
extremity of Cabbage Tree or Pulpit Point.
Any species of fish.
Any method involving the use of a net or a trap, other than the following:
(a) a dip or scoop net (prawns),
( B) a landing net.
All year.
That should pretty much settle the issue.
Bob
Edited by BalmainBob

Have caught a few prawns in the Hacking (not for some years now) with a scoop net.

Fisheries officers spoke to me one night while prawning, inspected the catch, said good work and left me alone.

One word of warning: there are a few sharks about and they do swim into the shallows at night. Not trying to scare anyone, but just be careful.

And the prawns generally do not run with the tide, most sit on the bottom and need to be scooped up. My biggest prawn out of there is over 17cm, but have seen bigger during autumn.

Stupid fisheries and its complicated rules.

How do they expect fishermen to follow the rules if we simply can't understand it!

Half of us thinks it's ok and other half doesn't, even after reading the rules! lol

port hacking - Any species of "FISH"

Any method involving the use of the following: (a) a hoop or lift net, ( B) a hand-hauled prawn net, © a crab trap, (d) a lobster trap, (e) a push or scissors net (prawns).

Ok so yes u can use prawning or similar nets in hacking as prawns aren't fish! also u can keep any fish caught whilst prawning as long as it's not undersize or over bag limit.

Infact based on above, use can use all kinds of nets not listed in Prohibited form of fishing as long as you are NOT targeting fish! lol

dynabolt scoop net is landing net. oh I didn't know what a scoop net was as well! lol

Edited by gianniz