Sussex Inlet - New PB Flathead x 2

Ocean Addiction

Spent a week and a half down at Sussex Inlet and managed to get a few good sessions in the Basin. The plan for day 1 was to drift over the artificial reefs and toss some plastics. When we arrived we found the reefs all had boats anchored on them. We decided to have a drift over near Sanctuary Point throwing some plastics around. Second cast of the trip I set the hook into a very heavy flattie that played up quite a bit. It was a nervous 6 shots with the net before my wife managed to get just over half of it into the net and swing it into the boat. It measured a respectable 90cm on 6lb leader - a new PB. A few photos and back she went.

post-34510-0-81172400-1421310564_thumb.jpg post-34510-0-44328600-1421310565_thumb.jpg

Check out the girth of it next to my foot!

post-34510-0-29814400-1421310564_thumb.jpg

We also landed several bream up to mid 30s on the same morning on bait and plastics.

post-34510-0-46267200-1421310563_thumb.jpg

I managed to get out again a few days later with my wife, mate Scott and his son Sam. We fished over near Sanctuary Point again. First drift I hooked up to another monster. My reliable net man (Scott) looked unusually nervous as the fish hit the surface. After some antics we finally had it in the boat and it measured 94cm on 6lb leader again. We took a few photos before we sent her back as well.

post-34510-0-11727000-1421310566_thumb.jpg

I was surprised how many fish we ended up catching as I find the extra boat activity usually puts them off a bit. We did try and stay in the quieter spots with less boat traffic though. We found there were stacks of whiting to throw poppers at in the inlet and canals. We also caught salmon and trevs in the river on stickbaits and poppers.

Interestingly, on one of the days in a similar spot we saw a disturbance on the surface which we thought might have been a seal. We motored over with the electric to check it out. In 30ft of water there was a huge flattie trying to digest a pretty large whiting on the surface. It thrashed around on the surface for a while and then sunk back down to the bottom with the whiting in its gob. To set eyes on three monster flatties in one trip was just unbelievable.

Guest stephanb79

wow great bloody job !!!! Wow I love fishing for flatties and cant wait to score one that big well done to the wife aswell !!!

What plastic did it take ???

wow great bloody job !!!! Wow I love fishing for flatties and cant wait to score one that big well done to the wife aswell !!!

What plastic did it take ???

My mate swears by the larger plastics in Lake Macquarie so I have upped my lures to very large prawn plastics with a flicky tail (brand doesn't seem to matter, just size). I'm getting a lot less fish overall but finding the few fish I do get are much, much bigger.

Very nice effort there mate.

I think I have the same landing net from my kayak days and find it difficult as it won't move thru the water at all

Thanks, it's a bugger of a net. Would make a great sea anchor.

Guest stephanb79

Usually a 4 inch. I like catching bream and the 5 inch seems to cut my numbers down way too much!

ok cool I really like 3 or 4 inch I had a 27cm swallow a 5inch jerk bait lol

Have any of you tried to get outside through Sussex Inlet? I fish the basin a bit and have thought about giving it a go but never got round to it.

Would like to hear from someone who actually has done it.

I've been out the bar a few times many years ago but it looks a lot shallower now. I would really like to get out there again as I remember the fishing was quite good. I would probably go with someone who could show me the ropes before I attempted it myself.

Mate top flatties!

i would love to have a crack at them and up my PB. two fish in the 90's is awesome! i bet you're dreaming of the magic meter fish now!

Sure am dreaming of a meter fish. So close but so far!