Crocalicious

nutsaboutfishing

Headed out this morning with DezM on his tinny at Balgowlah. We fished the drop off and I set out three rods, one with a sabiki, one squid head and the other with a smaller prawn bait.

Took quite a while but eventually got some hits on the prawn and pulled in a few pinkies 20-25 cm

Suddenly the sabiki loads up. It was a decent fish as I had trouble getting the rod out of the rod holder! Pumped and wound. Was really afraid of losing the fish coz of the tiny hooks. And you know what, that's exactly what happened

There were tiny bait fish everywhere on the surface, looked liked it was raining, except there wasn't a cloud in the sky.

We decided to head to deeper water. DezM caught a keeper flatty on a bait, then caught another on an SP.

Was beginning to wonder was I ever going to catch a keeper.

Suddenly a felt a bump on my SP, then on the next lift a felt weight, alot of weight! Began the pump and wind, ablely coached by DezM, he has a lot more experience than me. The SP got taken on about the second lift and I had cast a 3/8th jighead, so there was a lot line between me and the fish. Kept reeling in line and thought there must be some colour soon. There fish made a few runs, so I tightened my drag a bit but the runs kept on coming.

Finally after what seemed on eternity we got colour, a croc flatty!! Got her near the boat, but she wasn't finished and went for a couple more runs before I got her into netting range. My ever reliable net man DezM (this is the first time we've bought a net) looked a little nervous.

After a few attempts, this was one unhappy lady, we got her in the boat. Don't know my previous PB, but she was definitely the new one! Came in at 80cm and boy was she fat! Now came the decision keep or release?

I've actually never released a keeper in the past, but such a beautiful old fish, the decision really wasn't very hard. Felt really good to see her swim back into the depths.

Crocalicious!!

thanks for reading

richard

post-31299-0-48152600-1422073266_thumb.jpg

post-31299-0-51635100-1422073277_thumb.jpg

Well done Richard, nice croc and PB. You've come in leaps and bounds since the Soft Plastics Social last year and this is just a fantastic result all round.

That was a great day, Richard was one of the first guys I met.

Privileged to witness the big shovel headed flattie coming up from the depths. Big sides and that and that big mouth... what a catch.

Glad to have got the net shot right as well!

Congrats on the capture. One for the memories in future years to come.

Dez :sun: