Newbie questions

Rami

When do you strike?

During the weekend I went for a couple of hours fishing at Spencer while the family was asleep. The fish were there but kept stealing the bait. Now, when should I strike? When I first feel a nibble? When I feel 100% a fish is on the line? When I get a strong down? Not exactly sure.

What hook types ( and sizes ) do you use in what situation?

There are so many different hooks when you go to bcf. I normally use long shanks. But am wondering if I should work out what else to use and how to use them. Point me in the right direction please.

I see people some times prop their rods in the rod holders and wait. All I get when I try that is stolen bait. What am it doing wrong.

When do you strike? If I'm holding my rod when bait fishing I rest the line in between the tip and first joint of my index finger to feel the bites.(you should trap the line in this area and not in the first Join of the finger for casting also,but not many people do.)

I hold my rod up at about an 45deg angle and when feel a bite I drop the rod tip down to give the fish slack to take the bait down,then swiftly lift the rod to set the hook.

Depending on the firmness and size of the bait depends on how quickly you need to strike.

Sometimes the fish will take the baits aggressively,other times more timidly that in all honestly there's to many variables.

During the weekend I went for a couple of hours fishing at Spencer while the family was asleep. The fish were there but kept stealing the bait. Now, when should I strike? When I first feel a nibble? When I feel 100% a fish is on the line? When I get a strong down? Not exactly sure. If the fish are stealing your baits without you feeling anything,either you have too much slack in your line,your not feeling the bites through the line or your baits are being eaten by a thousand nibbles.(Tiny Fish)

What hook types ( and sizes ) do you use in what situation? I use mainly long shanks bait holder in suicides in size #4 to #2 for all my estuary species.

Regardless of what brand of hook or pattern you use I strongly recommend chemically sharpened.

There are so many different hooks when you go to bcf. I normally use long shanks. But am wondering if I should work out what else to use and how to use them. Point me in the right direction please.

I see people some times prop their rods in the rod holders and wait. All I get when I try that is stolen bait. What am it doing wrong.

When I drift fish in my boat I cast out,set the drag moderately and kick back with an eye on the rid tip.

When I see the oscillating rod tip I simply lift it out of the holder and strike as above.

Sometimes the drag goes nuts and you simply lift the rod from the holder and fight the fish.

Having said all that the real answer is it DEPENDS on the situation.

Baits used,areas fished,fish mood,fish species,etc...etc.

When you fish a while you get a feel for it and pretty much instinctively know when to strike.

Hope this helps you somewhat.

Is your drag set correctly? What fish are you trying to target?

Well I was looking for bream and flat head. It is very likely that drag was set incorrectly. Ie. I have no idea how to set drag. My only measure is set it a little under line strength. And I am using relatively heavy line.

Ps, I was land based at the time.

Edited by Rami

there are you tube tut's on how to set drag correctly, but ive never set them like this, I just make judgement on the situation I am in like fab1 said. If your only fishing for bream and flathead landbased you wouldnt need much drag unless it is really snaggy where you fish.

You mentioned your gear is heavy, what line rating are you using and what rod and reel??

there are you tube tut's on how to set drag correctly, but ive never set them like this, I just make judgement on the situation I am in like fab1 said. If your only fishing for bream and flathead landbased you wouldnt need much drag unless it is really snaggy where you fish.

You mentioned your gear is heavy, what line rating are you using and what rod and reel??

15 pound mono.

Fin nor 4500

Shimano 1 piece 8-10 kilo rod.

I have a much lighter combo I am using to learn soft plastics.

that is some large gear for bream mate, no wonder you cant feel anything, try getting a rod 2-5kg and 6-8 pound mainline with maybe 8-10lb leader and a 2500 size reel. Or try using your plastics rod, which is what gear by the way???

What size sinker are you using? Use the lightest possible to get the bait down to the fish.

They will pick up a bait and drop it when they feel something's not right.

Bream are touchy, they will pick up an run, strike when you feel weight.

Flathead strike on the bite, they just inhale baits and lures.

I was shocked on the weekend by what my nephew did with the plastics rod I got him for his birthday.

He had a ball sinker about the size of a 10 cent attached to a wire trace.

He gets a few, but misses heaps more I'm sure.

Hey man, for bream, I'd drop the hook size down to a 10 or 8 and try chemically sharpened. Use the plastics rod you mentioned and tie on a length of 3 or 4lb leader (preferably fluoro). Try casting unweighted baits, and if you're finding casting impossible, add a small piece of shot or two just above the line to give you a little more weight. Berley hard, use small bait sizes and cast into structure and around wharves. You'll get plenty of by-catch in the form of smaller fish, but the odd big bream, leather jacket or trev might show up.

Yes, after casting close the bail arm - this is the time to set the drag.

You can test the drag by simply trying to pull the line out yourself - after you have cast it out.

If fishing for bream, and wanting to leave the rod by the wharf, set the drag so that it is easy to pull line out - meaning requires very little effort. Once the fish takes line, lift the rod with your finger on the reel to set the hook and then tighten the drag and bring in the fish. Try this a few times, to work out the drag setting you want to use. Just be mindful that if you set the drag very tight, and you have a big fish on the line, there is a chance that your rod/reel will fly into the water - so you need to secure it.

If you go for a smaller sized hook, the bream will catch itself - you will see the rod tip move and stay in the bent position.

If you are fishing in a spot and the current takes your unweighted baits, then try somewhere else, or use a running sinker rig - although as mentioned by others, you need to go as light as possible with the sinker.

Hope this helps.

If fishing unweighted and there is current, you may struggle to get the bait down to where the fish are... I usually leave the bail arm open, and gradually feed line so the bait continues to sink and you have a controlled amount of slack in the line. So you cast up-current, feed line to keep controlled slack... After it has drifted past you and we'll beyond, close the bail arm and wind it up and start again.

The beauty of this is the bait is drifting and sinking naturally through the current, and bream tend to smash it rather than nibble at it. If you see the slack suddenly start tightening up, close the bail arm, wind half a rotation and raise your rod top firmly and you should be on.

Hi Rami,

Sounds to me your mainly getting your baits picked apart from smaller fish, down size the hook and see what happens, guarantee youll star hooking whatever they are.

Remember this,

"big hook catches big fish, but small hook catches all fish."

Just make sure to release any undersize and if they swallow the whole hook with the bait its better to cut the line as short as possible and leave the hook in there instead of trying to get it out which will probably cause more damage.

Hi Rami,

Sounds to me your mainly getting your baits picked apart from smaller fish, down size the hook and see what happens, guarantee youll star hooking whatever they are.

Remember this,

"big hook catches big fish, but small hook catches all fish."

Just make sure to release any undersize and if they swallow the whole hook with the bait its better to cut the line as short as possible and leave the hook in there instead of trying to get it out which will probably cause more damage.

Well I used a smallish hook. Will go even smaller.