Big swell for last week-end Jan '15

JimT

The starting point has to be your boat capabilities and your skipper experience.

Where I am it's set for 3.5m swell and 12 knt winds ( this can obviously change)

To me this says a Very uncomfortable ride!!!

No singular reading can be taken in isolation. With an easterly wind and incoming tide you may find this manageable. But when the tide turns against the wind it becomes a very different sea.

I've got a 5.2 alloy half cab and I'll be out in the mouth of the hacking practicing my boat handling skills. I've been on the water 12 months and see this as great practice time. I know at some point I will be caught out with the weather and I'd rather get a little more Road experience.

I'm not anticipating fishing. ( but will obviously have a couple of rods in case the weather is ok) I will be expecting it to be tough and radio with marine rescue and wearing a jacket.

In short I'm expecting it to be tough. Am prepared and organised for it and don't expect to fish.

Others will obviously have thier own opinion

This in my opinion will be an oppertunity to test my boat and skills in a close environment with an easy run to safety option.

Edited by NaClH2OK9

we are all keen fisherman and we would all love to get out there and fish mate, but risking your life for a fish is not worth it. I am really keen to get outside and have a go this weekend, but i dont want to end up in the papers or on the news as it has been the case latley with people who just dont understand the forces involved here. Im not saying you dont know what your doing zanderman (or anyone else here for that matter), its just that murphys law tends to take on especially in these sorts of conditions.

NaCIH20K9 I like your reasoning about having a run in adverse conditions and can understand that one day we may get caught out by the conditions. So to have experienced a taste of how you and your boat perform does give more confidence and experience, as long as we keep things under control.

Sorry but what is considered big swell. I had a look at sea breeze but don't have a frame of reference.

Anything over 2m for wave height on seabreeze I consider to be rough - particularly when I want to go out rock fishing. Of course it depends on the spot.

If you are land based and fishing estuaries, then the wave height doesn't really matter much (if well away from the ocean) - but the wind may make it less enjoyable.

I find winds of less than 10 knots favourable and up to 15 knots is ok. Beyond that, and it becomes unpleasant.

If you look up willy weather and look at the graphs for Swell at South Head on Friday of this week - you will see it is up at 4m. That is BIG. Another way to look at it, is that boat hire places won't allow you out into open waters if the swell is more than 2m.

So took the boat out for practice. This morning. Hit the water 6 am. Logged on with marine rescue and gritted my teeth. Round the corner out of gunamatta and into a 2 M swell. . Headed straight out of the heads noticing lots if other bigger boats heading out wide. Clear of the heads the sea mixed. Between 2.5 and 10 M ( I kid you not in one trough I looked up and the peak of the next wave was 30' up BUT it was a long way between waves and with nothing breaking was easy sailing. I drove to boat harbour and decided to chuck a couple of lures out then headed back to the bommies. Tide broke at 7:30 and it all flattened off a little ( I imagined it would have got choppier tide against wave) . Pushed further south for a bit and turned round but thought better of crossing between the bommies and mainland. Unfortunately although I'd taken a couple of rods I'd forgotten my sinkers :(

SOG was 2.5km but the current was strong so no chance with the 3oz leads in my tray of holding bottom.

The biggest thing I noticed was how much he easier handling was when being aggressive with the wheel. I'll be getting one of the spinner wheels to go on my steering now.

Edited by NaClH2OK9

When I headed along Gunnamatta Bay in the dark early Friday to fish the deep water west of Lilli Pilli, the waves sweeping across the sand bank in the mouth of Gunnamatta Bay were around the half to three-quarter metre mark. Don't normally see them that big over the bank.

Once out of Gunnamatta Bay and heading towards Burraneer Bay, the bay waves were breaking with some force.

When I headed back on the falling tide, there were some good bay waves, the place had quite a few people on stand-up paddle boards and surf skis. Some of them were getting a long ride, would be a good place for a body surf as well (so long as you were not scared of the sharks)

When the bay waves are breaking like that, it is not a good time to head outside.

Well done Salty Dog, great idea to get some practice up, when you can do it in close to shore, and duck for cover when your bravado starts to drop.

We were up in Qld, inspecting boats, went for a run yesterday hoping for some conditions to suitably test the hull, but had to make do with a 1m swell!

Yowie. They were surfing all the way to mainbar on my way in but great fun timing the waves and spinning her round heading out and in.

I've stated before this is my first boat and at mid 40s it an old dog new tricks scenario. The biggest thing is understanding the boat.

I've spent hours today trying different trim and speeds in different directions.

I've a shallow front v and light boat so bull on a China shop just dosen't work.

I'm now pretty confident that with a reasonable forecast I can weather it if it turns south.

Now onto doing it in the dark!!!! Bugger!

Edited by NaClH2OK9