A little bit further 8-2-15

NaClH2OK9

Following a kind invite from Ian Bat to go chase Marlin a few weeks back I've been left feeling ( or needing) to up my game and get further out on my own. Managing some bigger seas last weekend and this weekend forecast for ideal conditions and the warmer water closer in. it was obvious to me today was going to be the day to head out to the fads.

Only having small lures I treated myself to a black Bart lumo sprocket to improve my chances of a bigger catch.

The plan was to try and get some slimeys. Troll to the Sydney south fad. Throw some sticks at it and drop a live bait if I had one.

I logged on with marine rescue at 6:30 and hit the bommie. there were a couple of boils around but I couldn't pick up a thing. After 20 mins and noticing all the other boats leaving middle ground I put out my new lure on a tld 25 and shimano beast master and a cheap silstar Christmas tress on a 10000 egg beater.

I started trolling straight away just to give myself a chance to familiarise with my routine. At about 40-50 M I could see a massive bust up. So headed for it. There were birds every where but by the time I got closer I realised it was a huge dolphin school. Heading for the edge I quickly found myself surrounded. With the water boiling and the dolphins barley breaking the surface and going nuts) I headed for the edge again ( which seemed quicker than bringing my lines in ( didn't want to catch or foul hook one)) and then they were suddenly a 100m away. Pushing on and at 70 M the Christmas tree goes.

I left in gear for a few seconds the backed off a little and cleared the 2 nd rod. Line peeling all the time and finaly grabbed the rod. I tightened the drag a little which slowed the fish and got some line back between more runs but after 5 minutes it was gone. I circled the mark but no second take.

At 100 M I stopped for a drink and to try a drop on one of the marks on my sounder but there was no way 1lb lead was going to get me to the bottom.

No more action untill the 120m mark and another take on the same line but this time I didn't even get rod 2 in before it was off. Another circle for nought.

I swung North heading for the fad ( first time) but it was surrounded by boats. I tried to tuck upstream of them thinking I'd get a drift past in turn but as the boats drifted away they just hit forward again leaving me to have to get out of there way. ( with my bimini I seemed to be drifting quicker) I tried casting a couple of lures but the the spear gun crew surrounded it.

Stuff this for trying it solo. And I started the slow troll aiming for south Botany head. Ch 21 was quiet for almost everyone and a while later I was back. I tried another drift in 60m but again couldn't hold bottom. tried a close in troll for bonito or king heading south to cronulla but still no takes.

Finaly tucking in by Greenhill for a flatty drift I found 4 at 30cm and four just over legal. And a surprise tailor on my last drift.

51d4e54b2f3ff18ec1add1e88e57e051.jpg

Thanks for listening.

Edited by NaClH2OK9

Must have been a great experience being able to spot dolphins! Well done on the flatties and tailor bud.

I've seen loads of boat-based raiders mention the FADs and decided to check out the DPI site to find out exactly what they are. The info on the site is interesting, but (and please forgive my non-boating newb question) I'm a bit confused- what's to stop some amateur with a buoy, a length of chain and an anchor/ concrete block from making their own one?

When you fish at the Fads you don't have to be on top of them anywhere within about 200m can produce fish.

We fished Sydney south fad on sat kept 8 dollies 70 - 80 cm released quite a few more.

there were two boats of divers there and we didn't get within casting range of the fad.

caught them on live baits and floating pillies.

start your drift up current of the Fad and a bit of burley helps

bruce

Thanks for all the replies, using the advice I've found on here and the coaching I've had from some generous members and friends it certainly feels that less then 12 months boating and its starting to come togeather

Don't worry about the dolphins, the big fish will hang with them and they always avoid anything with a hook. Their sonar keeps them out of trouble.

So you would troll the edges as long as possible steve ?

Stripie i'd bet Steve! Good running fish seem to be around at the moment.

Yea, That's what I called it for at the time (mainly due to the lure it took), I've had one of these before but this must have been a much BIGGER specimen.

Well done Steve. Good to see the confidence building!

I've had a taste and now I want MORE, what have you done ?? !! :P

When you fish at the Fads you don't have to be on top of them anywhere within about 200m can produce fish.

We fished Sydney south fad on sat kept 8 dollies 70 - 80 cm released quite a few more.

there were two boats of divers there and we didn't get within casting range of the fad.

caught them on live baits and floating pillies.

start your drift up current of the Fad and a bit of burley helps

bruce

Thanks Bruce, I though I had to be in close amongst it. Next time out I'll be better prepared.

Saw that same pod of dolphins yesterday as well - what a site! Shame the dollies weren't playing though, we hit the fad early and didnt see anyone hooking up, same story and the buoy a bit further north. Trolled every inbetween for just the one hit on a deep diver but no hookup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mate sounds like you still had a fun day out, we were at botany wide fad, divers were there too, I had spoken to these guys last time out there, they were pretty good about it they took there turn drifting past like everybody else, they even got out and starting fishing rod and reel for them, told me weren't to many big ones down there, told me bigger ones hanging wider, they ended up getting a good ons on the troll

Are you guys saying that it's worth trolling lures with the dolphins because fish hang out with them?

Marlin will hang with the dolphins and (big) tuna often travel with them, dolphins are better at finding the bait ang the gamefish take advantage.

As for trolling the edge, the boating guidelines state how far from them you need to be, unfortunately the dolphins haven't read the brief.

Bear in mind this is just one piece of the offshore puzzle along with birds and lines and breaks and everything else.

Great report saltwater dog! But when I first looked at the title, I thought shit he did well 8-2-15. Lol

Hooked 8

Fought 2

Landed 15????? Wowee, how did he do that!

Then I realised it was the date. But to my defence, I was up at 1am.

Well done all the same. Good to see the confidence growing!

Cheers scratchie!!!