my first shortbill spearfish 14/2/15

fisholb

hi all. took the boat for the 2015 nswgfc comp starting on 21/2/15.

left the marina at 5am. got to soldiers pt around 7pm. trolled from norah head. put 5x 24kg rod hoping for a marlin or two. got our first hit around 12pm. landed two stripe tuna in 5mins. got our 3rd hit around 2pm on the long corner. this thing took alot of line. cleared the deck and i grab the rod.. took around 10mins to land the beast. while i was reeling the beast, one of the crew called it for a blue marlin. my heart was pumping so hard. my mind was asking my body if i can handle it. my mind was saying i can but my body said maybe not. maybe i can last maximum 30mins. its like when i go to bed with my wife. how long will i last? anyway back tp the report.

after 5mins my muscles were starting to hurt my thumb was hurting because of the amount of heat the line was making. had to wear a glove. was also barefoot and no hat. its like going to war with no protection. lucky the deck wasnt hot. after another 5 mins we can see the trace. gave me some sort of relief. wont be long now, thats what my mind was telling my body. my body was saying i got 5mins max before my body will explode. got this thing on the surface and everyone was stunned specially me. why you ask??? because i havent got a clue what it was. took another 5mins to bring it inside the boat. high fives all round. first shortbill spearfish for the crew. measured around 1.7m and estimated weight at 25kgs.

i would like to enter it for the February COTM. can one of the admin please enter it for me. thanks.

7cd45128fe0f507f061250593a26ca1e.jpg

b7373c50cbc037c781beb246c6dc02c5.jpg

d1c9225d74039d3a07987bbd519b0c5d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice catch, the rarest. Billfish to grace our waters. Hopefully, you'll get the grand slam - black , blue, and stripe at port in the comp!

thanks mate

were hoping to catch one or two during the comp

we didnt tag one last year

plenty of marlin here at port atm

caught my first black last month in the bill heyward comp hosted by bbfc

Congrats fisholb, I'm pretty sure I heard that on the radio. Also heard a few sailfish being caught too! Hard bloody work gamefishing ay? Thought I was going to get pulled out the boat yesterday. Good luck for the rest of the tourno!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Congrats fisholb, I'm pretty sure I heard that on the radio. Also heard a few sailfish being caught too! Hard bloody work gamefishing ay? Thought I was going to get pulled out the boat yesterday. Good luck for the rest of the tourno!

Cheers scratchie!!!

thanks jeff

hunting marlin is very hard

landing one is even harder

took me over a year to tag one

hope we can tag more during the comp next week