Brooklyn trip 3/2/15

Ojay Samson

Hey all, been lazy with the reports as of late, better late than never I guess.

Booked a little getaway with the girlfriend from the 3rd till the 6th of Feb staying in a holiday house for the duration. Took the boat down too for some fishing too.

We arrived that day when the moon was at 100%, little did I realise how much havoc that would play when fishing there as the current was out of control for the duration of our trip. Didn't catch as many fish as I was hoping, based on the previous day trip I went a few weeks before with some of my mates. Caught fish nonetheless so it was still ok.

Day 1

Arrived in Brooklyn and made a day of it, fished on the boat from 7am till 430pm for only 2 bream, nice bream though as the gf caught them both and got her new PB for bream. Almost lost the anchor at the last stop around the road bridge but luckily managed to free it while gf was on the phone with the owner of the house we were staying at asking if there was a place to buy a replacement anchor. The 2 bream were fat and healthy while being caught in quick succession during the turn of the tides, where our baits could actually reach bottom and not floating on the surface due to the 50km/h current lol. They went 32cm and 35cm. post-13877-14243286036856_thumb.jpg 35cm

post-13877-14243286522964_thumb.jpg32cm

Decided to explore later that night for the boat ramp down the road, stumbled on a local catching mullet in plague proportions from a wharf using bread so quickly convinced the girly to go back home and grab 2 rods and a loaf of bread. Had a ball catching mullet for about 45 minutes, now armed with fresh bait for the next day.

Day 2

We started lateish that day trying to fish the change of tides that day but was still a hard day due to the crazy current. Deployed a crab trap at the start, using a mullet frame from last night.

Current was still so crazy and feared the trap would be carried away never to be seen again.

Went off to fish the rest of the day and once again the gf was the only one to catch a fish. Broke another PB for herself catching a nice flatty that through some miracle didn't fall off the hook even after smashing itself into the boat a few times and doing acrobatics as she mistakenly thought she caught nothing but dead weight until it was boat side and lifted it's head out of the water, and I didn't have the net ready. Anyways netted it and fell off the hook as soon as it was in the net. I got a bit worried thinking she just beat my PB of 70 but luckily it was only in the 60's [emoji16] post-13877-1424329529328_thumb.jpg

Went to go check the trap after this and to my surprise had a nice blue swimmer, thinking my bad luck would continue after only getting a few stinky catfish for the day.

post-13877-14243297258162_thumb.jpg never using a crab trap before I was quite pleased with the result.

Day 3

Started late this day to but there wasn't really anything to report on. Decided to stay out extra late compared to the previous days and ended up with 1 nice fish. I caught a soapy jewie on a strip of fresh mullet while on the drift going towards the hms Parramatta wreck.

After a few scary minutes reviving the fish with my hand in the water and my head torch beaming into the water, it finally kicked strong and swum to the depths. Called it quits after that. The jewie went 55cm. post-13877-14243303715889_thumb.jpg

All in all was a good trip away for a few days, with the Mrs enjoying it. Only let down was the high expectations going in. Oh well, can't win everytime.

If you're all still reading, hope you enjoyed and cheers for your attention.

tl;dr

Went for a 4 day fishing trip, caught some fish, current was crazy.

Edited by Ojay Samson

Great report Ojay, and looks like a good weekend. Looks like you made the most of the tought conditions (those tides run fast down there on the full moon). I do all my fishing down there at Brooklyn, but haven't caught a nice big bream like those near the bridge for some time. What were you using to catch the bream?

Thanks seasponge, glad you enjoyed it. The bait I was using was my specially prepared chicken breast cut into strip's and then marinated in minced garlic with extra virgin olive oil for at least 4 days... Very stinky, that's why I prefer to wear gloves. The marinate manages to impregnate itself and you'll have stinky fingers for days otherwise.

Great report Ojay, and looks like a good weekend. Looks like you made the most of the tought conditions (those tides run fast down there on the full moon). I do all my fishing down there at Brooklyn, but haven't caught a nice big bream like those near the bridge for some time. What were you using to catch the bream?

Thanks Jim. Yeah the photos are from my Samsung galaxy s3 lol.

Hi Ojay,

Good effort again!

Also some very clear photos with the bridge in the background... if that's a phone camera I would be a little surprised.

Cheers

Jim