Port Hacking

Yowie

post-13153-0-33559600-1424912718_thumb.jpgpost-13153-0-64160700-1424912744_thumb.jpgpost-13153-0-29405800-1424912766_thumb.jpgpost-13153-0-15437600-1424912794_thumb.jpg

Fished the deep water off Lilli Pilli from first light. Hooked the tailor on pillies and fish strips, and had a couple of bite offs, even with the ganged hooks.

Also pulled out 4 jewies, but the biggest was between 55 and 60cm (not measured) so released. They took a liking to salted frigate strips. Plenty of reddies but all just missed the size limit.

Put out a live yakka, thinking that the tailor had disappeared, but the yakka had it's tail bitten off after a few minutes, so I killed it, re-hooked it and tossed it back out. It sat on the bottom for a while then the salmon grabbed it, took me around the boat on the surface then headed to the bottom for a while. Photo taken and released.

I up anchored and was heading off, when the water started boiling near the sandbank at Lilli Pilli. The fish stayed for a while, taken on small lures. They are small mackerel tuna, must be dozens of them about, as well as a mixture of tailor, small kings, salmon and bonnies. Dropped a few also with the small hook on the small lure. Will be salted for bait.

The bird is a sea eagle, taken a few weeks ago. I threw back a small reddie which floated to the surface after half a minute (to the far right of photo) so the eagle flew down and I managed to take a camera photo just before it scooped out the reddie.

The shell in the photo is a scallop, found it in the water at Gunnamatta Bay when putting the boat away, picked it up and found a live scallop inside, first time I have seen one in such shallow water.

Hooking up the caravan next week and heading to W.A. for a couple of months (not a good time to go as the surface fish are coming good) so don't catch all the fish, leave me some for when I return. Will be packing a few rods in as well.

Edited by yowie

Looks like a great morning on the hacking.

Are the rat kingies still hanging around lilli pilli? Had been getting them consistently there until a day I went out last week and couldnt find any, even on live squid

Still there, there are a few bigger ones about as well.

Fished the deep water off Lilli Pilli from first light. Hooked the tailor on pillies and fish strips, and had a couple of bite offs, even with the ganged hooks.

Lost a couple of minnow lures recently trolling SW arm, on for a second then the line came back bitten off with a curl on the end, didn't look like a tailer bite, don't know what's going on but some very toothy critters about at the moment.

Regards Charles

Lost a couple of minnow lures recently trolling SW arm, on for a second then the line came back bitten off with a curl on the end, didn't look like a tailer bite, don't know what's going on but some very toothy critters about at the moment.

Regards Charles

Tailor bite off, sometimes a clean cut, other times can leave a bit of curl on the line.

Last week, watched a tailor grab the lure just out from the boat, chew it straight off, shake his head (as you would do with a piece of metal down your throat) then swim off. The line had a curly bit near the end.

Nice tailor.

What part of WA are you heading to ?

We went across the top as far as Broome 2 yrs ago

Know what you mean about missing the season last year I spent the whole winter blackfish season in Qld. I think the warm weather and tropical fishing was almost worth it.

bruce

Nice tailor.

What part of WA are you heading to ?

We went across the top as far as Broome 2 yrs ago

Know what you mean about missing the season last year I spent the whole winter blackfish season in Qld. I think the warm weather and tropical fishing was almost worth it.

bruce

Down the south west corner, around Perth for a little bit, north of Perth if any time left.

Dave.

and with out knowing with the basic gear I bet

Good rods n reels basic boat I bet.

Is that true Yowie?

A 14 foot tinnie has enough room for a couple of lines.

Most fish were caught on handlines, except when spinning with a lure. Still have a couple of lines wound on cork reels. The cork reels are good for bream fishing, but many years ago, a ban was placed on using cork (don't know why), so I bought the last couple I could find in the shops.

The reels are mostly Okuma brand (only buy them at a discount price), the rods are mostly cheapies, some from Woollies for less than $30.

Need to spend a bit of money on a good reel, but most rods are reasonably well built (never spent many dollars on a rod ever)

Edited by yowie

Top stuff as always Yowie. With a two month let up from your fishing pressures the Hacking should be going off by the time you're back haha.

Look forward to some reports from your adventures in WA. Have a great trip!!

Cheers,

R

Thank you, hopefully will have a good time.