Day on the Hawkesbury

seasponge

On Sunday we took the boat out for it's first run with a new motor, and our first run in almost 6 weeks. We hit the water early from Deerubbin at about 6:30 in the morning and headed straight up river to Spencer where high tide was due to peak at 7:30. Set a couple of mud crab traps then anchored up to try catch some bream on the start of the run out tide. It was such a glorious still morning. The first cast was sent out and before the misses could finish knocking up a plate of pancakes I got the first hit. A good strong tussle with a big bream which gave plenty of good runs before he was in the boat. He was a nice 37cms :thumbup:, and the ugliest looking bream i've ever caught. He'd obviously had a few tussles with something bigger in his younger years.

The excitement settled down for us to enjoy our breakfast and I got another nice bream not long afterwards. This one was 32cms. Nothing else after that, so once the tide was flowing more, we pulled anchor to go check the traps and do a bit of drifting for flathead. Bummed out when we got to the traps and one of them was missing, and the other one was empty. Drifted around spencer for a bit but no luck. We then headed up Mangrove Creek towards the caravan park and drifted back down towards Spencer but still no flathead. :mad3:

After lunch we then headed back to Brooklyn to fish the incoming tide around Dangar Island. Met up with my sister-in-law out with her boyfriend in their boat and fished around the south-eastern side of Dangar. They picked up a nice flatty around the 46cm mark.

Around 3 o'clock we could see the storm was coming across. Checked the radar and decided to stay out in it trying to pick up some flathead from a spot that has never failed us before. Got hit by the storm just as something good took my line. This thing was putting in a good fight on the 1-3kg set up, but by this time we were also fighting the wind and the waves and trying to avoid the pylons and rocks around the island. Was stoked when it came to the surface and it was a nice 32cms snapper :) My first legal snapper, and a nice dinner plate size, perfect dinner for one! We normally only get harrassed by the bloody 20cm versions which seem to be in plague proportions around there.

Once he was in the net, we hightailed it out of there to shelter around the northern side of Dangar till the storm passed. Put some lines out around there but nothing and we called it a day not long after that.

Overall, a great day spent relaxing on the water. No flathead or crabs, but a couple of nice big bream and a snapper meal :)

post-34194-0-25355300-1425329116_thumb.jpg

post-34194-0-16792500-1425329131_thumb.jpg

post-34194-0-60999700-1425329147_thumb.jpg