Sydney South Fad tues 3/3/15

hookerbruce

Wanted to go for a fish out to the Fad yesterday but prefer to have someone with me.

So posted on fishing trips for a crew. sebcox replied and we arranged to meet at Grays Pt ramp at 6.

Drove in to the carpark at 6 and he was waiting, good start. We got underway and found him boat savvy and he had the advantage of putting the rods in the rocket launcher, and didn't even have to stand on the esky.

Gave him a hook and asked him to tie it onto my bait line to catch livies, 10mins later it was finally ready as with any deckie he was full of excuses The hook was to small ok it was a no 14 the line was to thin ok it was 2 lb it was too dark ok it was. the line was badly twisted ok catching salmon on 1 kilo the week before does that

Caught yakkas and kept a few sweep as emergency baits and headed off he asked how I rig for the dollies I showed him my rig and suggested when we get to the fad he watch me cast our the first couple of livies to see how it was done. Not sure why but he was a little uncertain.

Got to the fad and only 1 boat there I had the first bait in the water and hooked up in about 10 secs his line hit the water as I hooked up and Seb was on. Both fish were around the 60-65 mark and healthy so went back. Had a steady flow of fish but all around the same size and smaller.

Eventually Seb hooked a better fish which was 78 cm without flattening the tail. Only decent sized fish.

Under the fad were some darker fish about 30 cm we both caught one and on return home I.D ed as cottonmouth trevally. We were surprised how hard they went for their size. So anew species for us both.

Had a troll around then ran towards shore and trolled from the 100m mark managed 1 nice bonito which became sashimi.

We had a good morning at sea, fished well together even with my sarcastic coments.

Seb caught the biggest yakka, he caught the biggest dollie and he kept catching the mutton birds to keep them away from my line.

bruce

I tried that last year with a 50cm rainbow runner I caught next to the fad, Had a couple of good dollies grabbing it but it was just a lttle big for them they lost interest when they had killed it.

The fad was on the quite side yesterday.

Glad ! didn't hook up on that 100kg blue you got last week. It could have been an uneven battle on my little 19 or 15 kg outfits.

bruce

Thanks again for the trip out Bruce. I had an awesome day and learnt heaps!

Heres a photo of the 78cm fish, one of the cottonmouth trevs and my first bonito sashimi which was surprisingly tasty!

post-35940-0-10746200-1425454269_thumb.jpg

post-35940-0-76749600-1425454285_thumb.jpg

post-35940-0-47993600-1425454299_thumb.jpg