Cleaning Your Rods & Reels

Guest Sea Jay

I was just wondering what method you other fisho's use to clean and maintain your rods after each trip to get the most life out of the gear????????

It depends what I'm doing at the time.

If I'm housing down the tinnie I'll hose down the rods, reels etc at the same time.

If not, it's in the shower or I just throw the lot in the bath tub and swish them about for a bit. :biggrin2:

cheers

Hooky

Not always done the same day as fishing trip but always within 24hrs.

I take reels off rods and wash all the rods with mild detergent and rinse with clear water I then dry with soft cloth (surgical sponge) I pull the corner of the sponge through the runner when possible or use a cotton bud on smaller runners.

The reels I remove the spool and emerse in clear tap water the real is then wiped over with cloth soacked in H20 and mild detergent the rinsed in a bucket of clear water (not whilst the spool is in there) the real is then dried with cloth and if needed handles and any parts that need it are lubed spool is put back on and all drags are left loose.

Takes a while but then I don't need to replace gear very often and have almost zero gear failure when in use.

I was told never to hose gear down as this can force salt H2O into the reel or crevices in rods.

Yep my wife often thinks I love my fishing gear more than her.......... She is wrong

Cheers

Trev

Like swoffa, a hose down as I wash the boat, tighten drags to prevent water getting in and tighten up the hose nozzle so you get a fine mist.

then I have some stuff called SaltX that I bought at the boat show a couple of years ago, its supposed to be a salt neutraliser, I give the rods and reels a spray with it from a spray bottle and shake off excess.

Also drop all used lures, hooks, swivels etc in a little bucket with some of that stuff in it as well.

Seems to work, no corrosion on reels, and I havent had to replace rusted trebles for ages,

I am the same as Swoffa,hose them down and let them dry with the drags backed off.

Incidentally,I have just finished off cleaning my last reel.They all got the complete strip down ,keroseine bath/ hot water treatment and I am glad to say that of all the reels that needed bits ,the only ones that needed nothing was the Penns and the alveys.The rest required new bearings or Bail arm springs.Maybe I am to hard on the things?

Simon

I put the rods in the garage and shut the door - simple and effective!

I try not to get salt water on the reels. They will get a little wet from reeling in wet line and spray, but as long as you don't get salt water into the internals, they should be fine. I give them a light wipe over every now and then, and some WD40 on some of the moving parts. Service once a year.

I've been told not to wash or soak your reels and chance pushing in salt. just wipe the excess salt off. Soaking your spool might be alright to remove salt from the line.

I think SAND is the reel killer (excuse pun)

Hey Trev - I really admire your committment to caring for your gear - but your MAD!!!! (in a nice way of course)

K

I put the rods in the garage and shut the door - simple and effective!

I try not to get salt water on the reels. They will get a little wet from reeling in wet line and spray, but as long as you don't get salt water into the internals, they should be fine. I give them a light wipe over every now and then, and some WD40 on some of the moving parts. Service once a year.

I've been told not to wash or soak your reels and chance pushing in salt. just wipe the excess salt off. Soaking your spool might be alright to remove salt from the line.

I think SAND is the reel killer (excuse pun)

Hey Trev - I really admire your committment to caring for your gear - but your MAD!!!! (in a nice way of course)

K

69008[/snapback]

Kingy I am a complete nutter I never deny it and am real happy in my own little mad world :074::074::074:

You want to be carefull using WD 40 as it acts as a solvent on a lot of lubricants, but having said that if you find that your gear is lasting and not getting worn out then I wouldn't change what you are doing at all. The old saying if it aint broke don't fix it!

CHeers

Trev :1prop: the loony one