Belmont Beach Whiting

RexSenior

Hi Raiders

Just a quick report with some success on Belmont Beach the other morning.

Arrived just before sunrise with light rain and an annoying onshore breeze. That said I've just had baby no. 2 and have not been fishing in 3 months so nothing was stopping me!

Using beach worms caught the day prior I threw out two rods in a deep gutter and within minutes both were going off - unfortunately Salmon which were thrown back.

After some consistent by-catch (Bream, small Flathead and many, many dinner plate sized Stingray) I moved on to the flats. I wouldn't usually try this with the waves dumping so hard in the knee-deep water and little room for the whiting to swim however this paid off for the next hour or so.

Ended up with my P.B. Whiting of 45cm and a few others. Just goes to show it pays to try everything and decent fish can be caught where you least expect it!

Cheers, James.

post-34486-0-02149500-1425721264_thumb.jpg

Guest 4myson

Well done , Great catch !! I remember a few years back taking my son who was 5 at the time fishing from our boat . I was casting all of our rods out the back of the boat towards a nice deep hole with strips of fresh squid chasing the Elusive Jew in Georges River . My son insisted I put on a pilchard on his rod & cast towards the shoreline which was no deeper than 1/2 a meter ! I did as he told me & cast away towards the shoreline thinking he might get a nice bream , as soon as I placed it in the rod holder his little 3ft rod buckled over & the line was Screaming of his reel & after a good 10 min session he had his first Jew on board ! Measured in at 73cm !!! Like you said never underestimate any body of water no matter what the depth !

Cheers Guys.

I usually take a photo with a ruler or phone however chose the dinner plate this time.

The below pic is from last Monday 8th March, still on Belmont Beach (didn't post these as there didn't seem to be much interest).

Not the largest Whiting by measure but I'm sure they would give the PB a run for it's money in weight!

Cheers, James.

post-34486-0-46094800-1425980576_thumb.jpg