boat set up for night use

reese

hi there,

ill be heading to tuross lake - (only on the lake in the dark) next month and wanted to make the most of my fishing, so i would like to do some evening/ night fishing only from 5pm - 10pm times, not all night but it will be dark,

my boat has all saftey lghts and gear, and enough lights to light the deck and cab, i am more concerned about driving in the dark, so i am looking at wats a good light set up for travel.

can be wired through fuse and switch - or 12v plug or batteries

i wont be going far and wide, i will mark a few spots on my gps so i go straight the and stay put.

as said all saftey gear all boat lighting, anchor lights cab lights ect just nothing to see where i am going.

and assistance or advice would be appreciated

thanks Reese

When I use to fish at night I had a rechargeable spotlight that I would use periodically when navigating.

The key is take it slow and stay alert.

Avoid being blinded by light shining in to your eyes taking away your night vision.

Remember GPS doesn't see logs,boats,kayaks,dead people floating etc,you get my drift.

Cheers.

You can get an app to track if you don't have a plotter. I also carry a 12v spotlight, 500 lumens is good enough. Then make yourself as familiar as possible during the day!

Maybe first night, just travel back as the sun goes down, next night you should be fine!

yeah not watching my gps ( i ment find the holes ect during the day then mark)

yeah always slow, mainly just after a good enough light just like a head light on a car to see whats infront on me ect

If a clear night, you will be surprised how much natural light there is to see by. Water also reflects any ambient light and this helps. After a little while when your pupils dilate, your night vision will kick in - the most critical thing is to preserve it - don't look at bright lights etc. Set your GPS/Sounder to dim. I cover my backlit gauges with a cloth - and glance at them occasionaly - you will not be going fast. I also have a red light setting on my cabin and deck working lights - they preserve night vision but allow you to see quite well - to locate gear, bait up etc. If you have any white deck lights now, you might consider taping a bit of red celophane over them for the trip - just a suggestion.

So while underway on MOST occasions I use no lights to see ahead - being on water at night is not like driving a car with headlights. In my early boating days thinking of the car analogy I had mounted a 200W remote control spotter on my bow sprit but just found it a nuisance - the angle of your bow changes as you apply or come off throttle, its not a flat road out there - you go over waves - light shines up, shines down, I was forever adjusting the remote - it was all too hard. Rely on your night vision, get familiar with the area, keep a good lookout (or TWO) and take it slow. As others have said, I also do carry both a 12V spotlight and several powerful torches - comes in handy mostly when you are landing or mooring up and for signalling - but try and keep the light and reflection out of your eyes - it will dazzle your sight for a while.

If its foggy or overcast be prepared for a "real" adventure - it will be deep dark and all torches and lights do is reflect back off the fog or mist. I recall a partcular winter morning, launched at Apple Tree bay heading up Cowan to Pitwatter and out wide past Barrenjoey. What is usually a 20-30min trip took almost 2hrs in pea soup fog, running on the GPS and falling back to compass when the GPS lost satellite - straining to see 20ft ahead. All landmarks and even the banks of the river invisible. Dead slow all the way on a waterway familiar to 3 experience boaties on board !

Leave all your cabin lights off and take it easy. Around Sydney you get enough reflective light to see reasonably even on a new moon.

At Tuross though might be a bit darker.

Remember GPS doesn't see logs,boats,kayaks,dead people floating etc,you get my drift.

Cheers.

Have you ever hit a dead body Fab?

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Leave all your cabin lights off and take it easy. Around Sydney you get enough reflective light to see reasonably even on a new moon.

At Tuross though might be a bit darker.

Have you ever hit a dead body Fab?

Dave

I hit a pig floating in the Shoalhaven river years back,I honestly thought it was a human.