Brake pedal depressor

Fab1

Hi guys, a neighbour had asked if I could make up a brake depressor to use on his car when launching/retrieving his behemoth after asking me what mine was for.

How many of you out there(especially with large boats or launching solo)thought about having something to depress the brakes while your out of the carso that 4 brakes are on instead of the 2 rears?

People have forgotten to apply handbrakes,handbrake cables can and have snapped when under load,automatic transmission park locking pawls have failed,etc,etc.

Anyway this little contraption that I've always used will hopefully aid someone in not loosing their vehicle at the ramp.

You can obviously use a piece of wood etc,etc to jam inbetween the pedal and seat or make one our of a caulking gun etc,I owned the caulking gun type before and think there hopeless.

These are a lot quicker to setup and use.

post-20199-0-80546400-1427237349_thumb.jpgpost-20199-0-89920100-1427237431_thumb.jpgpost-20199-0-98140200-1427237480_thumb.jpgpost-20199-0-34698200-1427237509_thumb.jpg This can be used on the seat or steering wheel as the caulking types I've used and seen only fit the steering wheel.

Thanks for looking.

post-20199-0-67219700-1427237395_thumb.jpg

Gee you have some practical ideas Fab1. Pretty handy for somebody using dodgy ramps or a bad hand brake.

It would also make checking the trailer lights solo easier.

How many of these things do you take on an average trip?

Gee you have some practical ideas Fab1. Pretty handy for somebody using dodgy ramps or a bad hand brake.

It would also make checking the trailer lights solo easier.

How many of these things do you take on an average trip?

Off the top of my head these are the things I carry at all times.

Some of these items are used in serviceable condition.

These things have saved that many people stranded on the side of the road I've lost count.

SPARES I CARRY:

1:Haynes work shop manual

2:Radiator&heater hoses/thermostat/radiator cap.

3:Vacuum/fuel line.

4:Drive belt/s.

5:Ignition leads/coil/plugs.

6:Map,Cam,Crank sensors.

7:Relays/bulbs/fuses.

8:Fuel injector/Fuel filter.

9:Oil filter/Air filter.

Tools/Miscellaneous

Hammer,pliers,side cutters,vise grips,shifter,socket set,Allen keys,Torx bits,air compressor,electrical tape,duct tape,electrical wire,cable ties,wire,paperclips,electrical terminals,multi meter,torch,gasket paper,scissors,sharpie,jumper leads,silicon,wd 40,engine oil,brake/clutch fluid,power steering fluid,coolant,electrical terminals Crimpers,hose clamps,chocks,spare hub/bearings,winch strap,brake pedal depressor,emery paper,bottle jack,wheel brace,axle stand,propane torch,solder,heat shrink,electrical wire,jumper leads,obd 2 scanner.

I'm sure I've left plenty of items out,but you get the idea.

All this lives in a plastic tote in my boot or in the ute.

Edited by Fab1

I carry a fair few things... but not as many as you - man you could almost service the car with all that - I'm in awe !

Also I love the brake pedal depressor - very neat - I now know my next welding project!

One thing that I do carry that I did not see on your list is a 2T hand puller. Several years ago, I lost about 1/3 of the teeth on my boat trailer winch. They just sheered off the main large cog as we started to retrieve the boat. Since then I have always carried a 2T hand puller that I can jury rig to the winch post and pull up the boat onto the trailer. Drive-on is not a fallback option at all times as my boat/trailer combo does not lend itself to drive-on when using the shallower ramps.

PS - In case anyone is wondering how I got the boat up with 1/3 of the cog teeth missing - I used some of the pther items I carry - many spare D-shackles, a length of chain etc etc. Anyway, after about 5min of head scratching at the ramp - I said to my self think positively - then I realised I still had 2/3 of the teeth on the cog that were good - I could use those !!!! So mucking around with a few D-shackles and a bit of spare chain in between the boat hook and the winch rope I was always able to lengthen or shorten the winch rope to position the cog on the good teeth - 2/3rd turn - repostion - 2/3rd turn...30min later the boat was up !

If I held up anyone at Parsley Bay Brooklyn boat ramp that day - my apologies.

• 3 weeks later...

I carry my NRMA road side assistance.

I heard you can age a few years relying on those guys,no thanks.

Personally in this day and age I don't understand how useless people are that can't even do as simple a task as change a flat tyre,and not just women mind you.

They'd rather sit there like a mushroom waiting for someone to help.