darrylgulp

G'day Raiders,

Went for a fish last Saturday at my favorite spot in Kurnell. Arrived around 4pm just as the storm hit. I must have been on the edge of it, because It was actually quite pleasant. Wind was mild, rain was falling steady but softly, double rainbows... etc, etc. From my groyne, I had a kick ass view of the storm rolling over Sydney to the North. Thunder and lightening, very exciting.

I was flicking a few lures rounds, when I started to get electric shocks from my rod. At first I figured that the graphite had somehow picked up some static from rubbing on the car seat, or my jersey, but the shocks kept coming steady. Some were quite painful. I figured It must have had something to do with the weather because there was electricity in the air. You could smell it!

Anyway. Has anyone else experienced this.... and is it dangerous to be holding a fishing rod when there is crazy lightening?

Besides the awesome nature on display, managed to land 6 flatties on the Z-man Crusteaz before it got dark. Pretty awesome little sesh.

Chur

Guest no one

Is it dangerous to be holding a 6foot + highly conductable piece of carbon in the air?

Bro... You know when parents tell their kids not to shove metal things in power sockets because it's the dumbest thing someone could do? This is next on the list!!!

Its St Elmos Fire. It happened to me. Report called Zapped at Tarban Creek.

Static electricity in the atmosphere ahead of a storm.

In daylight its invisible, but in darkness it glows.

There can also be associated buzzing.

I typically happens in tapered structures, ship masts, church steples even blades of grass.

And fishing rods.

It doesnt mean you are in imminent danger of being struck, but danger is on the way.

The last place you want to be when lightening is about is out in the open, especially holding a long stick.

Take it as a sign to pa k it in.

Graphite is a conductor for electricity... so you know flicking a 6 foot long pole in the air during a lightning storm is pretty damn safe! Don't worry, you'll be fine. But in all seriousness... don't do that unless you want to get fried. SUPER DANGEROUS!

General rule for storms, don't be the tallest structure in the middle of open ground, especially if you're holding a highly conduct-able long pole. Stay safe.

I had a similar thing not a shock but a very odd feel I got caught in an electrical storm ( multiple bolts coming straight down )the other week in the georges one night and had to power throught it to get to the ramp I had my 135 tapped out! Never gotten from capt cooks to Oatley quicker ! First thing Rods on the ground no way was I touching them! And my aerials folded down and to the point I was questioning folding the Bimini down... Electrical storms on the water always seem to have a weird feel about them. Not a fan of testing Mother Nature.

Thanks for the replies, defo take heed in the future. Was so determined to fish on through the weather, and even more so after the first few hook ups. Had such a full on work week felt i needed the therapy!

Funny thing about kurnell and electricity, the last time I fished there i stood on a numb ray hah

Yep,

Same think happened to me on the golf course... a group of 4 of us literally had our hair standing on end. After the initial amusement we hightailed it back o the club house and watched the devastation as the stormed ripped through the course.

I tell you buddy, I would be awful careful of my groyne in conditions like that! :wacko:

Edited by fragmeister

Hey fella I am a sparkie from way back. Do you know what they put on cranes to pickup from the live rails. Yep carbon brushes. No better conductor, maybe have a glass rod as a backup. They are insulated but not against lightening......lol

I was in Port Neill (SA) many years ago during a storm, fishing with a bunch of blokes off the jetty. one bloke went nuts, screaming to all put our rods down and lie down, pushing over those who wouldn't. about 10 seconds later the jetty was hit by lightning, he had seen the corona (st elmos) on the railing and floodlight. about 8 blokes said in unison "Eff this, I'm off to the pub, via the dunny"