Snake at Seven Hills

locodave

Yesterday, sunday morning went to my father's workshop only to be greeted by a red belly snake... I think!

I called a snake catcher and while we were on the phone the snake decided to make it's way into the shrub. He advised to just leave it as is. Now I know they hate noise, so I went and got the lawn mower to cut the grass nearby. As I was leaving I think the snake was leaving too, but turned around as the Magpies were going crazy. Think he was scared of the magpies and went back into the shrub!

post-2301-0-70446000-1430700126_thumb.jpg

post-2301-0-16694000-1430700132_thumb.jpg

Edited by locodave

Yea I backed away first and when it went into the shrub I made noise hoping it would scare it away. It did work until the magpies scared him.

Has anyone here encountered a snake and handled it?

Nowhere near as bad as Brown Snakes, now they are scary, and fast!

Cheers

Paikea

I guess that is double trouble there. More venomous and faster. Yes this snake moved quite slow, but I just heard from the neighbour that two weeks ago there was a brown snake near the bin. Baby snake, got taken by the Magpie though.

I had an encounter with a brown snake, some years back. My brother was visiting from Pommieland and we were driving near Armidale when I ran over this brown snake. My brother insisted that we stop and take a picture of it so I turned around and drove back to where it was lying on the road. I held it up while he took a picture and I asked him did he want to hold it while I got his photo...he declined. I put it back down near the edge of the road and to our astonishment it slithered away, off the road. When he got back to the UK I asked him what people thought of the photo, with a poisonous snake, only to find that he hadn't any film in his camera since he left Singapore, in transit to Sydney. One day I was fishing at the channel and a red belly swam across and vanished right at my feet. I had a quick look for it but it couldn't spot it, so decided it was safer to move than have it come up the bank and surprise me.

Leave the snake alone, and it will normally slither away (brown's can be cranky at any time)

A lot of people who get bitten by snakes are trying to kill it, and a snake is faster than you. Leave them alone and they will do their thing, usually by disappearing without causing any trouble.

Pop used to have the old 410 shotty handy for them so he didn't have to get to close. He lived on a property and the laws weren't as strict back then haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had been having rat issues due to the chooks and the chook food, we also back onto a reserve. Went into the shed about 6 months ago and there was a red belly sitting there with a lump in the middle, no more rat problem. But does there poop stink. He Took off pretty quick luckily so far he has not come back.

The first part was a bit of a joke. I grew up with encountering them regularly where I used to live.

It's funny, I'm scared of them. Don't like touching them even if they are dead or non poisonous but I am fascinated by them and like watching the documentaries.. I've even gone out with my mate to purposely find and see one.

They are like fish actually. You will most likely find them where there is food and shelter. More so the food. Where ever there is rats, mice, frogs and those small lizards. A nest of any of those animals is a hot spot for a snake to also live.

Red Bellies like going near water. On the edges of dams, creeks and rivers.

Be thankful that it was a Red Belly. Cause whilst their around, you won't find any browns.

And you don't want any of those crazy things anywhere near you!!

When i used to train horses, I could always tell if there was a snake around and what kind of snake it was.

If there was a Red Belly around, especially when i was working them on the track, the horses would just %%%%% their ears, give a little snort and carry on.

If there was a brown somewhere close, the horses would just stop in their tracks, try and turn around, rear up, and carry on a real treat........

Animal instinct i guess.

Oh, and the last thing you should do if you see a brown crossing a road or something is run over it, unless you can guarantee you'll run over its head!!

Seen to many rap themselves around axles and stuff and survive......

And if you do happen to run over one, look in the rear vision mirror to make sure it's still there!! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I grew up in glenfield, we moved there some 55 years ago and we had to walk through paddocks to get to school or the shops. In those days we would come across snakes every other day. We carried a piece of heavy duty wire embedded in the end of a stick and if the snake didn't go as we approached, we would whip it with the wire. I lived across from an old digger who used to grab the things by the tail out of holes in the bank and crack them like a whip. Their heads would fly off. Never did try that as I was too scared of them. These days Glenfield is a vastly different place and probably the snakes have all left for further afield.

I agree with the comments re Browns, you just don't mess with those, they have no sense of humour.

I lived across from an old digger who used to grab the things by the tail out of holes in the bank and crack them like a whip.

I heard a story once about an old fisherman who liked to do that. He was fishing with a small group when he came across a snake (of some variety...). His mates took off to the other side of the stream they were fishing while this guy went about showing them his trick. He grabbed the snake by the tail and as he flicked it the snake went flying across the stream straight into his group of mates. Turns out the snake was shedding its skin, so all he was left holding was the skin while the snake flew free.

I've come across brown snakes on dirt tracks on my bike. You can be traveling at 90km/hr and come up on them 30 metres in front of you over a rise, and they've crossed the road out of the way before you hit them. They're extremely fast when they want to be!

Well guess what guys. I just moved into a new place in Windsor Downs. Taking the wheel burrow down the driveway, I just had a feeling. I looked to the left and behind the shrubs on a bed of leaves I could spot that texture! I could clearly see it was a snake 100% but I kept walking down the driveway. I came back around the other side of the house and went to check up on the snake to get a better look. As I was walking towards it, I could see it move....great, it's moving away from my house...hang on WTF... it's going into my bricks!! WTF...hehe the snake now resides behind my bedroom between the bricks and the gyprock. At first this was a bit scary. For once I didn't know what breed it was, new house, does it have any holes? I quickly went into my room...all sealed. Great!

3 days later I saw him again sunbaking, this time I got a better look as I was in the car. Was a brown snake and wow it moved quick. I called my new friend, Sydney Snake Catcher to come and have a look. We could see the snake behind the bricks. We couldn't get it out though. But after a long chat, I am not worried about the snake anymore. Just another animal. It's not out there to kill me, it won't chase me. We just have to stay away from each others way.

post-2301-0-00544700-1433288601_thumb.jpg

post-2301-0-14650900-1433288616_thumb.jpg

According to the snake guy at the CC reptile park, people most likely to biten are boys and their dads.

Its because they find a snake and try and deal with them. Best bet is to leave them alone

I've had Red Bellys, Browns and Diamond pythons. If you are really worried then call a snake catcher

and they'll come and get it, although usually by the time they get the snake has left.

Avoid leaving sheets of corrugated iron lying around in the sun, they like to lie under them

and remember, if you do get bitten, you need to stay calm and apply a compression bandage

and head off to hospital or call an ambo!

http://stjohn.org.au/assets/uploads/fact%20sheets/english/FS_snakebite.pdf

My wife finds the snakes at my place, I'm amazed you haven't heard her scream ;-)

Edited by antonywardle