Is there such a thing?

tryhard

Hi all,

looking for some ideas.

I want to install some small LED illuminated rocker switches (12v).

The thing is, I want them illuminated when in the "OFF" position. (so they can be easily located in the dark)

Does anyone know if such a switch exists?

I have googled & I have spoken to a couple of suppliers, but have not yet had any success.

I've not seen any thing like what yr looking for but is it possible to reverse wire a switch pannel so they illuminate when OFF or when in the ON position they are actually OFF ?

Or , what about a switch pannel which has background lighting the type they fit to large cruisers so u can see the gauges , switches at night

Edited by Geoff

Hi. I get what your looking for. But won't that just make it hard finding the switch when the light is off and circuit on?

I've previously used illuminated switches in cars that you can rig to the lighting circuit so the light up when the headlamps go on. But I'm not sure about marine quality availability.

Give Ian from road runner a pm. He stocks quality gear.

They are available.

Presently in Australia in a brand I don't personally like.

I believe we have the Carling units coming out, not sure how far away though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by Ian Bat

Thanks guys,

I will be powering these switches off a central switch panel, So that when I first power up the central switch panel, the idea is to have all the individual switches illuminate.

that way they are easily seen in the dark.

But being fussy, I dont want bulky switches, just smallish rocker switches.

Hi mate I think this is possible as clipsal have a range of domestic light switches that do this. I don't know how much you understand about electrical principles but the led is wired in parallel with the switch. When the switch is off current will flow through the led, Through the load eg nav lights and back through there neutral to the battery. Once the switch is on the current will take the path of least resistance which is through the switch and the led will be off.

For this to work you need to be able to access both the active and neutral cables for the inbuilt led of the switch panel which might be a problem as it might be hard wired to the switch.

Also if you forget to turn off your main isolating switch after a days fishing or you don't have one either way your battery is going to be drained by what every the switch controls if the switch is on or the led if the switch is off.

With this way also the leds are going to be on when ever the switch is off even in day light hours and could maybe burn them out quicker. I don't know how long they will last. To get around this you could wire the actives for the LEDs through there own switch.

In saying all this I haven't done this my self and this is based on my electrical understanding.

Cheers

Burnsie

Burnsie Thanks,

My electrical knowledge is poor!

I am not concened about the possibility of leaving the LED's in the individual switches powered because I will only be swithing the main switch on when its dark & the main switch is illuminated when in the "on" position, PLUS, I always switch the main panel off as soon as the boat is on the trailer. (famous last words!)

I may sacrifice a LED "on when on" switch & see if I can modify it, if I cant get what I want - Fuses are Cheap!

If I'm reading this correctly you want the switch on when it's off and vice versa. It's possible to use a relay to do this I think. ( I'm a chippie not a sparkie and it's been over 20 years).

On a relay there is a 87 and 87a terminal. When the switch is on power will come from the 87. When it's off from the 87a. Effectively reversing the switching.

I think the less connections the better but it should do what I think you want. Guys if what I'm saying above is wrong or off the mark correct me.

Abecedarian,

I eventually found the Narva switches - I was looking for something a little less "automotive" if thats the right word. something a little understated, but effective - Yeah, I know, I'm fussy!!

But thanks anyway - I appreciate any help.

I will keep fiddling / looking - see what turns up.

I had another look and they have a Narva LED rocket switch series that don't have the writing and logos on the lights, just a plain switch. They're apparently sealed units, but doubtfully marine grade. Still, for lack of anything else they may be useful.

• 2 weeks later...

The narva ones is the only style i have seen in rocker switches. If you are not fussed by that, then you can now get the standard marine switch panels with LED lights that should be enough to light up the switch name.

The first image is your typical switch panel. Only lights up when switch selected.

The second one, i am pretty sure the panel lights up the whole time. I had it on my boat but didnt keep it for long and cant remember. Sure someone here can confirm.

post-2301-0-74372700-1433456163_thumb.jpg

post-2301-0-97178500-1433456173_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have then fitted on my boat, they are lit up red in the off position. You can buy whole range of them from marine use at Whitworths marine supplies. They are waterproof. When installed do not forget to spray lanolin on the back of the switched to stop corrosion.

appreciate the input - thank guys.

What I am after is a single switch.

The way I have my lighting set up is that the individual lights are powered from one switch on the main switch panel - each light then has a seperate single switch - I want to be able to see those seperate single switches in the dark at a glance.