refueling at sea

antonywardle

Ideally you don't want to run out, but say you are getting low, whats your preference to refueling?

Pour fuel from a jerry can in to your tank, or would you have a second tank and then just move the

the connector over?

I have a permanent tank in mine and was wondering about refueling if for some reason

I run out.

Guest 4myson

I would definetly go for the second tank option . The last thing I would be wanting to do is pour fuel from a jerry can out at sea with swell around . You definetly do not want to have fuel spilling every where that could easily ignite !!

Not always possible to move the fuel hose over. The second tank option is ok providing that you have some means of syphoning the fuel from the spare tank into the main tank. That way you can stand the spare tank on the gunwale or similar elevated spot, get your deckie to hold it and using the syphon hose just transfer the spare fuel. Trying to pour it in at sea is difficult, needs a big funnel and often leads to fuel being spilled. No t a good smell when you are out and not a safe thing to have slopping around the bilge.

BTW try to avoid using a plain hose by sucking the fuel up. Used to do that until I got a charge of fuel down my throat whilst filling my Kevlacat using a 4 gallon drum from its marina pontoon mooring and nearly fell in the water. Had I fallen in there is no way that I would have come up again, I was gasping for breath and would have sucked in a lot of water. Don't chance it!

Cheers

Paikea

Guest no one

I have 4 tanks, 2 connect to the motor and the others are just 25 ltr tanks I siphon using a siphon hose.

thanks guys

a couple of good options there

I'll see about getting the main tank connector lengthened a bit so it would make it easier

for attaching to a second tank. I was in a shop today and they had a little thing that looked like

a fuel pump (that shape) and it looked like pulling the tripper would pump the liquid from one place to another.

I've used a jiggle stick too. My filler hole is at the back by the rear seat so there's no leaning over anything to deal

with, but it wouldn't be much fun in a swell.

Edited by antonywardle

I have that fuel pump siphon it works marvellous no more sucking up fuel.

It was on special when I bought they are not cheap.It has on the hose 2 caps (they are a push in type) that fit into your drum so that the pipe is held in. You have to hold the trigger and fills a 7litres per min.

I now have a Etec motor and use straight fuel, when I come home I transfer the last 20lt or so into the wifes cars (I have a diesel) so no more stale fuel.

I have that fuel pump siphon it works marvellous no more sucking up fuel.

It was on special when I bought they are not cheap.It has on the hose 2 caps (they are a push in type) that fit into your drum so that the pipe is held in. You have to hold the trigger and fills a 7litres per min.

I now have a Etec motor and use straight fuel, when I come home I transfer the last 20lt or so into the wifes cars (I have a diesel) so no more stale fuel.

Do you have a pic of your siphon set up?

Cheers

Paikea

Keep it simple I reckon.

have a second portable tank.

I have an underfloor tank & a portable tank.

Both tanks are plumbed into a manual three way valve.

I run on the underfloor tank first (just in case the fuel gauge stops working) then switch over to the portable if required.

I generally use the thirds rule - third out, third back & a third for the mower when I get home!

Good luck.

My tank is a 50 litre stainless and I'm getting a new (second hand) etec 90 put on this week So I'm guessing it won't be as thirsty. The question is mostly hypothetical as I can't see a time when I'll actually run out because I'm a bit paranoid about that, so I'm always topping up, but if I have a go outside then it would be prudent to have a plan They Scepter Flo N' Go Maxflow Universal Fuel Siphon Pump was the one i saw I think

Edited by antonywardle

my 5.2 viking has two tanks both are plumbed to the back of the boat into a two way stainless tap turn the tap left the tank at the back of the boat is in use turn the tap to the right and the under floor tank is in use i have an 80lt cruse tank in the floor in the middle of the boat i keep this full as it helps with the way the boat handles in the back i put 20lts everytime i go out on top of the 80ltrs in the floor.never run out of fuel

If the spare tank is fixed or under floor it is probably worth plumbing both. If the main tank is fixed and spares are mobile or jerry cans like my setup you can either use a jiggle siphon or a screw on flexible nozzle on the jerry can which I use and doesn't spill. We use a 20l jerry can, put the end of the nozzle in the tank then invert the jerry can so there is no opportunity for spillage. If you do use a jiggle siphon I recommend a reinforced hose with the nylon thread through it to make it stiffer because it is really frustrating with the standard clear hose that can get kinked and obstruct flow when it goes around bends which is it's job.