How close is TOO CLOSE ?

Guest 4myson

Guest 4myson

Just thought I'd put this bad experience that I had today out there .. Curious to hear your thoughts on this topic . I was out in Botany today fishing with my son who's 8 . Anchored up at the end of third runway & started a nice Burley trail going & after a good 30 min we finally started getting hook ups , shortly after this ASS #%£ ! Decides that the only place he could find to fish in the whole of Botany was 40 meters behind my boat !! Right in my casting range !!! He looked at me like an IDIOT after dropping his anchor & asked if he was too close which I kindly replied WHAT DO YOU THINK ???? He then gave me the middle finger Salute & ignored me . Now he's LUCKY my son was with me so I chose to restrain myself & what got under my skin the most this was not a young kid but an older bloke in his 60's with 2 other blokes the same age ! So after all the time spent burlying getting fish to the back of my boat he drops his anchor in the middle of my trail & spooks all the fish off !!! So I decided to pack it in & go elsewhere . So what's happened to COMMON SENSE these days ????

You guys in Sydney seem to get this all the time. IMO, if I can read the writing on your tshirt then your to close. You will get these situations from time to time but not matter what in life, you can't teach common sense!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Mate unfortunately common sense went out the window years ago. I replied to an earlier post this week about there being a Knuckle Head on every corner. I've just started catching trains again and I don't know if it's just me but every time there is a loudmouth or a group of annoying D@#KH&/DS in the same carriage i get. I feel your pain 4myson but in this day and age its more smarter to turn the other cheek

Edited by ambrose607

Guest 4myson

Hey ambrose , I don't think it's just us .... I think we need to follow Scratchie & move to Port Stephens to get away from all these DIPSH%£S !!!!

Unfortunately, like Bessel said commonsense isn't all that common any more . . .

At the same time there's been a large increase in 'I don't give a fck about you' attitude.

Well done on demonstrating 'civil' behaviour for your son.

cheers, stu.

If you are going to the Hairtail weekend get use to it.

About two weeks ago went to Waratah Bay at about 2pm in the afternoon set for hairtail cut up all of my burley ready for the night.

At about 5pm in they came in this small bay there was 10 boats.

I stopped the burley trail for a while for the same reason as you as a boat went straight through it.

Boats were close enough to hear all of their conversations, no anchor light on, so boats were coming in an not seeing a boat till the last minute.

It was chaos, you did the right thing don't get into a conversation as it only gets worse.

At about 9pm they were all gone, burleyed again and got 4 trevally at 32cm but no hairtail, not one boat got any hairtail so they spent a cold night.

Crawled into the sleeping bag (-10 sleeping bag) and went to sleep.

I feel your pain buddy, this has happened to me on a number of occasions. I've even had boats drive so close that they cross my lines!

As like you, I want to let them know how exactly how I feel about it, but I'll give you some advice... I apply the same theory I have with driving on the road.

"You can't beat them all" As in, there's always going to be another d!ckhead on the road\on the water. Unfortunately not everyone is courteous like we are.

The most responsible thing to do is just move on, which is exactly what you did, onya mate =)

I found fishing in Panama weird. This is just accepted, with smiles and laughter. I guess some of it, because all the skippers and deckies are related, even across all the lodges.

We had a few occasions where a boat from another lodge would be held up against a floating log catching live bait, and we would just pull up beside them, I'm talking 6'!

Same when on a tuna school, they would just call each other

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guest 4myson

Thanks for your thoughts guys , I can understand guys all chasing the same fish in a school or fishing in a in a small bay but when you only have 8 boats fishing in Botany & the only place he could find to fish was directly behind my boat !!! I hope no one gets a BAD impression of me thinking I'm a water HOG as I'm really looking forward to the Hairtail social & if you do see me & my son please stop by & say Hello or anchor up alongside As It would be great to meet in person fellow minded Fishraiders who know what Common sense is all about .

Cheers Guys .....

He saw that you were catching and he wasn't and hence why the doofis decided to anchor up in your burley trail. He probably thought that you had your quota of fish and its about time he catches some!

Its becoming more and more common, the world is becoming a "me me me" place, look out for numbero uno and who cares about the others, i am not responsible for any of my actions and will always blame it on something else.

Idiots like that cannot be reasoned with unfortunately.

Its a sad state of affairs that this world is going like it is but we can always try and lead by example

Its a sad state of affairs that this world is going like it is but we can always try and lead by example. . .

There are many that do, although it's hard to show your appreciation to the bloke that didn't park next to you or took the wide line to give you some room.

The one that kills me is people that drive right past close at speed when there is no need, like 4 miles offshore!

Or thinking a downrigger lets them go within 5m of anyone.

I'm surprised this post even got aired

I posted the same about the traffic at the FAD and got taken off the Raider

Your right i had a guy off nth botany on Sunday with all the water in the pacific had to pass with in 10m of the boat

Name and shame i say

dogbox

I'm surprised this post even got aired

I posted the same about the traffic at the FAD and got taken off the Raider

Your right i had a guy off nth botany on Sunday with all the water in the pacific had to pass with in 10m of the boat

Name and shame i say

dogbox

Moderation of a post will be made on content and responses. We do not encourage bad behaviour nor will we allow it to be posted.

We've all had people coming to close to our vessel, which poses the question. "How close, is too close?"

IMO, it depends in the area (reef, offshore, estuary etc). You will also get most fishos showing etiquette but it doesn't happen all the time.

Leading by example is the key!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Just wait until the hairtail social....I've had a boat do circles around mine and then just tie off on my boat. Not mentioning any names swordy!

Cheers scratchie!!!

If you need a witness to confirm that, let me know.

By the way, I will take a spare tank of fuel this year with your name on it, just in case!

As another aspect, some years ago in my mates boat, we sounded fish on the sounder and anchored over the reef. There was another boat at least 60m away. As it turned out we ended up in being his burley trail - no way deliberate - but he made it quite clear he was not happy (and I don't blame him). But what is a respectable distance? We see fish on the sounder and decide to anchor. Never want to upset others but if we see the fish, are they his, because of his burley or were they there anyway? It's like being married......whatever you do or say next is wrong!

There are definitely some stupid people out there.

Just this weekend I was tied up to the public moorings in Port Hacking and had a group of older guys cruise up and start tieing their boat up to the mooring...

Obviously I asked them what the hell he was doing to which the driver replied (quite agressively), 'I dont see your name on the mooring, do you? You cant just hog the mooring, you fish that side of the mooring and i'll set my boat up this side'

I had to double take, trying to work out if there was any sense to this moronic statement but nope.. This guy seemed to think the currents didn't affect his boat.

I ended up going with it saying yeah fair enough mate, aslong as you keep the boat over that side we should be fine (with a huge grin on my face)

Watching him realise just how much of an idiot he had made of himself when his boat swang around was priceless.

They were very quick to untie and drive as far away as they could after this hahahah.

Guest 4myson

As another aspect, some years ago in my mates boat, we sounded fish on the sounder and anchored over the reef. There was another boat at least 60m away. As it turned out we ended up in being his burley trail - no way deliberate - but he made it quite clear he was not happy (and I don't blame him). But what is a respectable distance? We see fish on the sounder and decide to anchor. Never want to upset others but if we see the fish, are they his, because of his burley or were they there anyway? It's like being married......whatever you do or say next is wrong!

I wouldn't have bothered me if he pulled up along side me & cast into my Burley trail , But to actually drop anchor in my burley & prevent me & my son from fishing is where it is just STUPID !!!!

There are definitely some stupid people out there.

Just this weekend I was tied up to the public moorings in Port Hacking and had a group of older guys cruise up and start tieing their boat up to the mooring...

Obviously I asked them what the hell he was doing to which the driver replied (quite agressively), 'I dont see your name on the mooring, do you? You cant just hog the mooring, you fish that side of the mooring and i'll set my boat up this side'

I had to double take, trying to work out if there was any sense to this moronic statement but nope.. This guy seemed to think the currents didn't affect his boat.

I ended up going with it saying yeah fair enough mate, aslong as you keep the boat over that side we should be fine (with a huge grin on my face)

Watching him realise just how much of an idiot he had made of himself when his boat swang around was priceless.

They were very quick to untie and drive as far away as they could after this hahahah.

That's Hilarious. :074:

I think it depends who is on the boat and their mood. I really don't care if they come near me as long as they are sensible. 40 metres is pretty far, 20 metres is still a fair distance I think.

You go to Juno Point, or any hotspot when it is busy, there is no way you get more than 20 metres in some cases.