Float Fishing with Live Bait

Fishing_Maniac

Hi guys, has anyone had any experience float fishing with live bait? I am planning to use live yakkas and want to have a trace of about 3-5 meters from the float. I am going to fish for kingfish off wharfs and rocks inside the harbour.

The thing is, how am I going to cast a float which is 3-5 meters from the hook? Also, what type of float am I best of using?

Cheers, James

Edited by Fishing_Maniac

I think you may be asking to get taken round the warf pilons like that. When the live bait ducks for cover.

But

You could use a float stop and attach your balloon to a sinker slider on your main line and run a shorter leader just for the abrasion.

post-18418-0-27015900-1434509818_thumb.jpg

use a free running float where the hole in the tube running through the float is very fine ie just bigger than your line and the what I use to act as a stop is a small piece of wool tied onto the main line( able to slide along for depth) so it is thick enough to act as a stop at the float but still run through your rod guides for casting.

The rig is

hook.....leader(1-2 m)......swivel....small ball sinker.....main line........float...........wool stopper........

You' be better off with a balloon rather than a float.

Put an open loop in the line and then tie the balloon around the open loop. When a fish hits the bait it pulls the loop through knot on the balloon and it drifts off

Edited by Crossfire63

Thanks for the input guys. But won't it be difficult to cast a decent distance with a balloon?

I think you may be asking to get taken round the warf pilons like that. When the live bait ducks for cover.
But
You could use a float stop and attach your balloon to a sinker slider on your main line and run a shorter leader just for the abrasion.

Sounds like an idea, what sort of float stop would you use considering that the sinker slider holes are so large.

attachicon.giflive bait rig.jpg

use a free running float where the hole in the tube running through the float is very fine ie just bigger than your line and the what I use to act as a stop is a small piece of wool tied onto the main line( able to slide along for depth) so it is thick enough to act as a stop at the float but still run through your rod guides for casting.

The rig is

hook.....leader(1-2 m)......swivel....small ball sinker.....main line........float...........wool stopper........

Have you tried using a float stopper knot mate? http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/bobber-stopper-knot/

Sounds like an idea, what sort of float stop would you use considering that the sinker slider holes are so large.

That's why I suggested a sinker slider. Much thinner diameter. And something to tie the balloon too.

I use Rubber float stops. Purchase at any tackle store.

Edited by NaClH2OK9

That's why I suggested a sinker slider. Much thinner diameter. And something to tie the balloon too.

I use Rubber float stops. Purchase at any tackle store.

I'll be heading off to buy some sinker sliders in the next few days. Only thing is, will the balloon breaks off once I'm hooked onto a fish? Is there anyway to make sure it does break off? Cheers

If the hole in the float is too big for the stopper knot you just need to use a small bead above it with a smaller diameter hole. I use fishing maniacs knot with a bobby cork. It's probably the simplest land based. What length rod do you use?

For the balloon I use cross fires method as well. You tie the knot in the balloon and just push a loop of line through the knot before you pull it tight. This won't help you cast out from rocks or a wharf.

So from a boat I put my livey in the water beside the boat drop it down a few metres ( I have a small sinker above the livey usually). Than inflate the balloon and connect to the line and let the wind do the rest. If the wind is in your favour you can float it way off the boat. That way you can drop another weighted livey near the bottom under the boat. You can float a pillie out in your trail lightly or unweighted. You can keep plenty of distance between your rigs so there is no tangles.

Edited by welst

Hi guys, has anyone had any experience float fishing with live bait? I am planning to use live yakkas and want to have a trace of about 3-5 meters from the float. I am going to fish for kingfish off wharfs and rocks inside the harbour.

The thing is, how am I going to cast a float which is 3-5 meters from the hook? Also, what type of float am I best of using?

Cheers, James

Hey champ, i haven't been fishing in about a month due to uni exams, but beforehand i was really getting into what youve described above.

I had tried alot in the past with no sucess, but i found that keeping it simply worked the best. Use 8m or so of leader (i use braid, so 10m of 20lb mono just gives my line i little stretch) and place a float stopper on this mono. Then just add to the end a bead, float, bead and 7/0 J hook (or circle hook)

This rig worked fine against everything up to just legal kings. If i was fishing bigger baits i added about 1.5m of 60lb leader to the end of the 20lb, and used a ballon float. Casting was almost imposible due to the weight, so i found the wind and let the wind take it out (might not ba an option on harbor wharf)

Hopefully other raiders can add to this/tell you what i did wrong. And hopefully the kings are still around? I would've thought they'd be gone by now. I was surprised to catch them a month ago.... any ones thoughts on that?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Hey champ, i haven't been fishing in about a month due to uni exams, but beforehand i was really getting into what youve described above.

I had tried alot in the past with no sucess, but i found that keeping it simply worked the best. Use 8m or so of leader (i use braid, so 10m of 20lb mono just gives my line i little stretch) and place a float stopper on this mono. Then just add to the end a bead, float, bead and 7/0 J hook (or circle hook)

This rig worked fine against everything up to just legal kings. If i was fishing bigger baits i added about 1.5m of 60lb leader to the end of the 20lb, and used a ballon float. Casting was almost imposible due to the weight, so i found the wind and let the wind take it out (might not ba an option on harbor wharf)

Hopefully other raiders can add to this/tell you what i did wrong. And hopefully the kings are still around? I would've thought they'd be gone by now. I was surprised to catch them a month ago.... any ones thoughts on that?

Cheers

Haha sorry guys, i cant use tapatalk. Didn't know there were previous posts... what they said^^

Cheers

Sounds good mate, do you know if you are able to use a baitrunner reel when using a balloon float?

We use weighted squid float for casting distance

Typical rig we use

60lb/2m trace

30lb main

6/0 circle hook

Float stopper/bead to adjust length of drop up to 5m

Bait we use are yakkas squid pillys

Goodluck

Sounds good mate, do you know if you are able to use a baitrunner reel when using a balloon float?

I use my bait runner with the ballon rig. Also i sould add that i use a large swivel with a bead either side. I tie my balloon to the swivel using 10lb line. This way the balloon can run up the line to the float stop loke a normal float. However you may need to use 3 or so float stoppers in a row, other wise big live bait will move the float stopper if they cant sink the balloon. I really only use this for big baits though (yet to catch something with such a bait), yakkas i dont really think need it....

I use my bait runner with the ballon rig. Also i sould add that i use a large swivel with a bead either side. I tie my balloon to the swivel using 10lb line. This way the balloon can run up the line to the float stop loke a normal float. However you may need to use 3 or so float stoppers in a row, other wise big live bait will move the float stopper if they cant sink the balloon. I really only use this for big baits though (yet to catch something with such a bait), yakkas i dont really think need it....

Do you use one of the shimano baitunners mate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Fishing_Maniac

6000 OC but it isn't necessary to have a bait runner. Just what your line and let it out as it wants to go

When you use a float is there any point in using a baitunner? Won't the Kings feel resistance from the float in the first place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Id oly suggest using the bait runner under supervision only! And let the livie take the balloon/float where ever it wants. If the bait is swiming freely in the water collumn, any decent fish should swallow the bait with out feeling the float, but you've still got to be quick and keep tension on.

They stay on the hook in free spool mode if they keep swimming, but if they stop or turn their head they're likely to spit it