Winter Cubing

Krispy !

Headed out this morning at 7 to fish the run out tide for some sashimi to cut up for dinner. Rugged up and arrived on location and began burleying up. Since the water is cooler and the fish are more timid, I just fished 4lb today to give me the best chance possible.

The usual nuisance fish turned up stealing baits but managed to pick off 4 bream in quick time ranging between 25-29 which were all released as I was after sashimi.

After ALOT of burl eying I finally started getting the distinctive Trev bites. A few baits later the line went tight and the drag was buzzing. Dodged around a couple of pylons and shortly after a nice Trev going 36 cm was in the esky.

The next trevally got me by surprise, I was curbing up some baits when the drag screamed off and I turned to see my rod off the ground and balanced on the railing. Ran over and it was another Trev going 36cm as well.

The Pickers were doing there thing and I was contemplating leaving when the line went tight again and another Trev came in going 34cm.

With the sashimi in the bag I burleyed up a lot of pillys and left 2 more to finish the session. On the very last cube, I casted it out and it Began sinking slowly when the line started flying off the reel. Closed the bail and at first I thought it was just another Trev, but then it really took off and my mind shifted to either salmon or king. I went very lightly on it to put minimal pressure on the 4lb leader and was trying to guide the fish, 5 minutes in to the fight I was pretty sure I was onto a king as it didn't come up in the water column once and kept going on blistering runs down deep. I was following it all over the place trying to keep it away from structure but eventually the leader gave way somehow.....would have been nice to get a look but that's fishing. Left right after that with 3 nice trevs for some sashimi later tonight.

post-11865-0-03464800-1435640897_thumb.jpg

Good job on the trevally man and bad luck on the kingy. Just wondering if you had any tips on how to prepare the fish for sashimi, I had a trev from the weekend in the oven and it was good, but I'm really keen to try one raw sometime.

Good job on the trevally man and bad luck on the kingy. Just wondering if you had any tips on how to prepare the fish for sashimi, I had a trev from the weekend in the oven and it was good, but I'm really keen to try one raw sometime.

Bleeding them is a must, keep them cool after you bleed them. Gill and gut them and I usually keep them in the fridge over night. This way the meat firms up really nicely and it's very easy to cut the fillets off

There's plenty of Trevs around this size in the harbour at the moment. Great fun on light gear!

Nice Trevs, congratulations

thanks tony & Harold, they sure are good fun, I love winter for trevally fishing, good numbers of them at the moment

Edited by Krispy !

• 4 weeks later...

Headed out this morning at 7 to fish the run out tide for some sashimi to cut up for dinner. Rugged up and arrived on location and began burleying up. Since the water is cooler and the fish are more timid, I just fished 4lb today to give me the best chance possible.

The usual nuisance fish turned up stealing baits but managed to pick off 4 bream in quick time ranging between 25-29 which were all released as I was after sashimi.

After ALOT of burl eying I finally started getting the distinctive Trev bites. A few baits later the line went tight and the drag was buzzing. Dodged around a couple of pylons and shortly after a nice Trev going 36 cm was in the esky.

The next trevally got me by surprise, I was curbing up some baits when the drag screamed off and I turned to see my rod off the ground and balanced on the railing. Ran over and it was another Trev going 36cm as well.

The Pickers were doing there thing and I was contemplating leaving when the line went tight again and another Trev came in going 34cm.

With the sashimi in the bag I burleyed up a lot of pillys and left 2 more to finish the session. On the very last cube, I casted it out and it Began sinking slowly when the line started flying off the reel. Closed the bail and at first I thought it was just another Trev, but then it really took off and my mind shifted to either salmon or king. I went very lightly on it to put minimal pressure on the 4lb leader and was trying to guide the fish, 5 minutes in to the fight I was pretty sure I was onto a king as it didn't come up in the water column once and kept going on blistering runs down deep. I was following it all over the place trying to keep it away from structure but eventually the leader gave way somehow.....would have been nice to get a look but that's fishing. Left right after that with 3 nice trevs for some sashimi later tonight.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Trevally sashimi is one of my favorite :1clap: . Well done Krispy .

Regards Kit

thats a nice feed of fish, have you tried it Sushi mi ?

I only eat them as sashimi :P

Trevally sashimi is one of my favorite :1clap: . Well done Krispy .

Regards Kit

Thanks cruise craft :) they are awesome as sashimi

Nice work mate. I only for the first time tried sashimi for the first time a few weeks back and thought it was fantastic.

Really good surprise!!!

Must bleed gut cool down to enhance the flavor.

Been chasing more trevs ever since!!

Yeah haha to me if there aren't any kings around trevs are just as good to have as sashimi

I also eat them sushimi style , love them

Can't beat fresh raw trevally

how do you prepare them for sushimi?

Bleed straight away, keep them cool or better on ice, gut & gill, keep them in the fridge for a few hours or even overnight for the meat to firm up then they are good to go. Also make sure you don't let any fresh water touch the meat.

I had them sashimi style the other day and TBH we thought they were a bit tasteless. All I could taste was the salt that I put on to accompany.

Filleted, egged, dipped in rice flour and fried on butter though... delicious!

We've been smashing them outside the harbour lately...

Edited by Smasher