Third time lucky...

adamski

Hiya Raiders!

After two hook-ups in about a year, both of which got busted off on my lighter gear, I finally got my first kingfish today! What an awesome fighting fish they are, 3 huge runs before it was finally tired, and plenty of heart-in-mouth moments where I thought it might break me off on the wooden pylons.

post-33473-0-02632900-1438489197_thumb.jpgpost-33473-0-91232100-1438489223_thumb.jpg

It was taken at pier 2 on a squidgy flickbait, 1/4 jig head (which got absolutely crunched!) and 10 lb braid with 8 lb leader. The fish came in at 63 cm, so it was tagged and went back in the drink.

post-33473-0-17242400-1438489303_thumb.jpg

A huge thanks and shout out goes to the guy who was stood next to me, who gave me advice about where best to stand to keep the fish out of structure and went down a ladder to net it. If he hadn't been there, I wouldn't have landed it.

Have a great Sunday arvo, I'm having a cheeky wee beer to celebrate ;)

Thanks gents! Yeah, I'm stoked Scratchie- I'd been at Double Bay in the morning for nowt, so it was just a shot in the dark as I was heading back through Circular Quay. I was there for about 20-30 mins before the hook up- the guy who gave me a hand with the netting was in the middle of packing up, so yeah- huge hats off to him for staying for a wee bit!

Such light tackle - people would get busted off on braid 10 x heavier !!! Really quite impressive

Thanks mate, I think I got really lucky- if it'd taken a run at the pylons I'd have been up the brown creek without a paddle. I was on Power Pro too, which breaks way above its line rating. I was told the trick is to keep them out in the open and let them tire themselves out first, then lock up when they're spent in near structure. It was good to see that the FG held absolutely rock-solid the whole way through again though- what a useful knot that's turned out to be!

Top job adamski,

Now it's time to upgrade, one for the dinner table.

Next hook up I hope. There buggers

JD

Cheers JD! Here's hoping the next one's a keeper!

What size flick bait were you using ? Did it spit any fish out on the pier? Im just interested to what they're eating at the moment.. Also I'll never go back from the FG - a little bit of practice and it always works

It was 110 mm Pro flickbait in pilchard. The fish didn't seem to spit anything, but one of the guys further along had a live well full of squid, so I imagine they'd been feeding on that.

Well done Adam. You can tell by your post that your a wee bit excited by that first kingy and so you should be! Congrats :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Baha mate I got a text at work that just said "kiiinnggggiiieee!!!"

Excited is an understatement. Epic catch mate! Had to happen glad it happened so soon after blooding the new outfit! how good is that fight! Hope there was some blistering runs!

Awesome work mate,

Now it's about getting one for the plate

The overwhelming temptation is to go back tomorrow (I have the day off work) and try again, though the huge pile of washing and lack of food in the fridge here suggest that might be a bad idea... ;)

The overwhelming temptation is to go back tomorrow (I have the day off work) and try again, though the huge pile of washing and lack of food in the fridge here suggest that might be a bad idea... ;)

Lack of food.

You would be providing?

King fish dinner! Can i come.

JD