Replacing trailer winch

latindog

I have a quick question with advice to the more experience...

I'm looking to replace my belt winch to an electric one, I have found a Trex 5000, I was wondering if 5000lbs of pulling is a bit much or should I go for a 2000lbs (cheaper)

My boat is a 1992 BFG 18.5 sea imp. (Heavy glass) I have no idea its weight, I calculate a ton more or less but I could be way out, I'm attaching some pictures at the bottom to see if anyone can tell me these types of winch bolts on the same holes as the old winch, looking at it it has the three bolts as the old one but not indicating the distance from each other.

Any advice if these are good and if not where I can looking for one in Sydney to install myself

The specifications of the winch are:

• 5,000 lbs. rated line pull, single line
  • 3 stage planetary gear train
  • Sealed Solenoid
  • Drum Diameter & Length: 33mm x 90mm
  • Steel Wire Rope: 7.2mm(D) x 10m (L)
  • Battery/Remote Cable Length: 3m
  • Gear Ratio: 717:1
  • Mounting Plate Dimension: 225mm x 125mm
  • Voltage: DC 12V
  • Loading Capacity
    Rolling: 15000 lbs.
    Marine: 12500 lbs.
    Pulling: 5000 lbs.

I'm happy with my actual winch, still as new as my trailer but the reason I need to change to electric is I've done my shoulder (tear) and there could be surgery if it won’t heal on its own , I'll appreciate your advice guys...!!!

post-36271-0-28055500-1439538508_thumb.jpg

post-36271-0-43732600-1439538509_thumb.jpg

post-36271-0-33896000-1439538510_thumb.jpg

Just a quick point about the weight, take the boat and trailer to your local weigh bridge. It shouldn't cost much, even your local tip should have a weigh bridge.

Is the wire replaceable because it is horrible stuff once it ages a bit, rust and broken strands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Ric001

Considering? I was in love with it when I saw it done in Botany Bay , i couldn't believe how quick these guys did it , I never tried driving it up I guess I need the practice on a quiet day coz I hate it when onlookers are having a lough on my account, lol ...what I like also it's so easy to install

I agree with the spectators, does intimidate a bit. A few factors involved - wind blowing your boat and tidal movement - these can be overcome with practice (in a secluded, private location). The other big one is your trailer - some are not that helpful for driving onto. I have a twin hull and I can easily get onto the trailer at a 45 degree angle. Once partially on, just let it settle and then power slowly forward and it locks into place. Have had trailer boats for over 40 years and only got onto this with my last boat 3 years ago. Oh, the wasted effort over those years, especially when you are single handed.

Just a quick point about the weight, take the boat and trailer to your local weigh bridge. It shouldn't cost much, even your local tip should have a weigh bridge.

Is the wire replaceable because it is horrible stuff once it ages a bit, rust and broken strands

You are correct that's something I had in the back of my mind but never got to do it, just found out in Minto there is a public weigh bridge 14 min away from me , will be paying it a visit one of these days ...!!!

A lot will depend on how deep the trailer is in the water , if water only up to the axle a lot of power will be required , at the other end of the scale if the trailer is deep in the water & the boat basically floats on then it will require very little power .

Then there is all the variations in between