artificial weekend

Guest hawkesbass

Guest hawkesbass

On sat hit up inside south head with royce,reg,jacob and myself.

Scrounged up enough weed for burly only as we all fished with weed flies.

The three others used fly rods and i used conventional tackle.

The bites cam thick and fast on the flies and stayed consistant for the next three hours with the fish not mucking about and hitting the flies hard.

We put twenty in the bag combined with quite a few more dropped and a couple of throwbacks each.

On sunday went back with royce and paul.

Royce armed with his fly rod and paul and i on conventional gear but still using weed flies.

Royce departed for a seperate ledge getting a hookup first drift and paul getting one on his first drift.

My second drift got my first in the bag for the day.

I joined royce after about a hour on his ledge with him having seven in the bag i had a crack at the fly rod getting my first fish on proper fly gear third cast in and landed him a few minutes later.

Next cast i got another hit but missed the hookup.

I had one last cast and got a cracker fish taking the fly and playing up nicely and landed soon after.

Meanwhile paul was into them on his ledge.

Royce and i joined paul again pulling a couple more out each.

Pulled plenty of hooks between all of us.

Put twenty in the bag with royce getting his bag limit for the day.

All fish both days taken on weed flies only with no bait used at all.

post-18046-0-41947200-1440301904_thumb.jpg

post-18046-0-92631700-1440301951_thumb.jpg

post-18046-0-66002700-1440301980_thumb.jpgpost-18046-0-90301500-1440302050_thumb.jpg

It was a good weekends fishing.

Cheers trevor.

I have a curious and newbb question but before asking would like to premise this question with the following statement.

I have never fished for, or known anyone who has fished for blackfish or luderick.

Question- what makes blackfishing so enjoyable compared to your regular lure/bait type fishing for flathead/bream/trevally etc

I've personally never been interested but have come to realise that close to 40% of the posts on this forum are fishing blacks with weed, so there must be something special there? I just haven't experienced it :( ?

For me blackfishing is just a winter time fling but there's just something enjoyable/addictive about staring at the float waiting for a down, they fight hard and dirty and i target them in a family friendly location. It also helps its one of my wife's favorite fish to eat " ok sweetie I'll go and catch you a feed of blackfish if you want "

For me blackfishing is just a winter time fling but there's just something enjoyable/addictive about staring at the float waiting for a down, they fight hard and dirty and i target them in a family friendly location. It also helps its one of my wife's favorite fish to eat " ok sweetie I'll go and catch you a feed of blackfish if you want "

I agree with the above. Its fun and family friendly plus its a rush seeing the float vanish. It started as a winter filler and has now become an addiction. I love the fight of these little demons and watching the rod bend.

Ps- great bag of fish there :)

Think you answered your own question right there.

For those who know the basics they are a fairly reliable, land based, bread and butter fishing option. Also, they are at their best in winter when many other species really shut down.

Cheers,

R

Sorry if this is a stupid question but what's subbing? Is that the layer of material under the green fly material as in sub or below?

Could you just trim off some of the tail of the bought ones to get a higher hook up rate?

I think I'll just have to go buy some and try them for myself :)

• 2 weeks later...

And dubbing is the material you either wrap around the tying thread which is then wrapped around the hook and ties off or the materii is attached to the hook and spinning it around the shank near the eye for the weed flies which is the method I use somewhere there is step by step how to tie weed flies I did on the site.

Edited by luderick -angler