Favourite Sashimi?

Krispy !

Would like to see a poll of what everyones favourite fish are to have as sashimi?

Personally I almost exclusively eat fish as sashimi so ive tried a fair few fish including sweep and sergeant baker both of which were pretty good.

Here's my top 5

1. Amberjack

2. Bonito

3. Kingfish

4. Trevally/Samsonfish

5. Surgeonfish

Interested to see everyone else's choices :)

Dog Toothed Tuna still twitching. The best ever.

The worst, cuttlefish with sea urchin roe, pooh!

I've tried squid and prawn...not a fan.

Give me atlantic salmon any day - could eat it by the tonne.

It was at a Japanese restaurant.

Not sure how risky it is, I didn't get sick but flavour wise, I'd never do it again. The prawn just tasted like cooked prawn but in custard consistency....very gross.

Raw squid, tasted like mushy rubber!

Man I've never even tried most of these fish cooked, let alone raw :P

Japanese unagi, I think it's freshwater but I'm not 100% sure what species. If you get it smoked it tastes like the most delicious bacon you've ever tasted. Had it in Tassie once and Sydney a few times as sashimi- it's meatier and fattier than a lot of other species. Honestly, try it!

Boys,

Favourite way to eat fish for me is sashimi and I am a bit of a nut/nazi over keeping it in primo condition. Favourites in order of preference are as follows:

1. Lobster, albeit only had it twice
  2. Snapper (small ones are outstanding)
  3. YFT (haven't tried SBFT but heard it is better)
  4. Kingie
  5. Bonito
  6. Albacore
  7. Trevally
  8. Salmon

Surprisingly, even the humble yakka (yellowtail) isn't bad. I've had it in several Japanese restaurants and is actually quite good. The flesh of course is white and so doesnt have the depth of flavour of the blood-rich tunas but when combined with soy, ginger and wasabi it is good - and we can all catch yellowtail. Since sashimi is usually sliced quite thin anyway, you can get quite a bit off a yakka and you can keep them alive until you get home - that is fresh!