Port Hacking - still quiet

Yowie

Fished off Lilli Pilli early. Picked up the tailor on the yakka line, lucky not to get bitten off - but no yakkas about. Nothing else about, was about to move when a small school of fish started splashing near the boat. Tossed out a small metal lure for the salmon, but the school disappeared after the hookup.

Pumped some nippers and drifted many places for the flatties, and dropped another one, but that was it.

The smallest flattie was going back in, but suffered some hook damage to the gills and did not seem as though it would survive. As it was just legal, kept it to go with the others.

The largest flattie had several very small prawns and a green nipper in it's stomach.

post-13153-0-45098400-1441162922_thumb.jpg

Atleast you got a feed there yowie, all the salmon seem to be small but they're around in good numbers in the 40-50cm bracket. Plenty of baitfish around though. The kingfish I got the other day spewed up some really tiny bait like the ones you pictured the other time so I think micro lures is the best option.

Atleast you got a feed there yowie, all the salmon seem to be small but they're around in good numbers in the 40-50cm bracket. Plenty of baitfish around though. The kingfish I got the other day spewed up some really tiny bait like the ones you pictured the other time so I think micro lures is the best option.

The salmon are a bit smaller than normal. They do fight well, but at least you are not spending a lot of time pulling them in like you do with the 60cm plus size. This one grabbed a 2 inch metal slice retrieved just under the surface at a bit of speed.

The cast before it was followed by a larger salmon, it kept smacking the surface hard but missed the lure every time, swimming right up to the boat before stopping. I slowed the retrieve a bit, but still no hookup.

There are some kingies, trevallys, tailor and as well as small snapper in port hacking i fish a spot on the last 2 hours of the run out and 2 hours run in, floating or pea size sinkers with pillie cubes. Have lost some big kingies recently so they are def out there, mainly lost cause i was fishing 6 pound line and got reefed :mad3: good fun none the less.

There are some kingies, trevallys, tailor and as well as small snapper in port hacking i fish a spot on the last 2 hours of the run out and 2 hours run in, floating or pea size sinkers with pillie cubes. Have lost some big kingies recently so they are def out there, mainly lost cause i was fishing 6 pound line and got reefed :mad3: good fun none the less.

There will be some fish somewhere, just a matter of finding them. Though I have fished Port Hacking for over 50 years, there are still some spots I have not yet tried !!

Probably worst time of year to fish IMO. But you still managed a feed yowie! Do you eat aust salmon? If so, how do you cook them? I've only ever made fish cakes of them! But anything can make fish cakes!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Gave the salmon to mum, as she eats them sometimes. This size is better than the bigger ones.

What she does is to cook up some rice, then add chopped bacon, capsicum, corn, peas (you can add what you like), stuff it into the cavity of the whole fish, wrap in foil and bake in the oven.

Tried it a number of times ( when not much else was biting) over the years. No complaints, the fish can dry out if not careful, and the various flavourings in the rice give it some flavour.

Hey yowie,

That yakka line sure has been productive for you!

Kingies in summer and tailor in winter.

Best not take it offshore!

Surprising what will take a small bait on a small hook. Have picked up a few small jewies as well. Even landed a large squid when I was a kid, the hook lodged in the mouth next to the beak.

As for offshore, a yakka handline probably won't stop a yellowfin. :074: