Surface action to finish the morning off Nth Head

saltrix

Headed out this morning after finding no one on Tunks ramp at daybreak, everyone must have been home for father's day.

The harbour was nice and calm, and we quickly picked up some livies, yellowtail and a mackeral just past the spit.

post-3961-0-50827000-1441532673_thumb.jpg

As soon as we cleared the heads it was obvious that it was a bit jiggly outside, and although it got better once clear of Manly headland it was pretty rough all morning until it was time to go home.

We tried at Long Reef for a king with the live bait, but the swell was too big to get in close so we gave that away and returned to DY wide to try for flathead. There were heaps of small spiky flathead that kept taking the bait and getting hooked. They were all returned but the larger fish were mature and had reached near maximum size and as there is no legal length for this species and they could be kept if you were short of a feed.

We were visited by several albatross, the dark one is a sooty albatross, but the light one may be a shy albatross but I find them hard to identify.

post-3961-0-76177600-1441535178_thumb.jpg

post-3961-0-81722200-1441535215_thumb.jpg

Almost home we came across birds working and schools of fish chopping up bait. They appeared to be small fish and the albatross that followed us home dived several time into the school and came up with fish. I had never seen that before. We rigged with small whitebait type plastic lures and had fun catching some bait for next trip. They were a mixture of mackeral and yellowtail ( or cowanyoung?) around 22cm long.

Finished with a some reasonable fish, but not from this school, but the sea could have been smoother, I am still rocking tonight.

post-3961-0-19678400-1441534894_thumb.jpg

Edited by saltrix

Hi All

I think the dark bird is a type of Skua or Petrol.

The white one is probably a dark browed albatross.

Also .... there is no such species as spiky flathead....

They are either baby blue spot sand flathead or tiger flathead.

Both of which have a 33cm minimum legal length.

The only commonly caught flathead with no minimum length is the Marbled flathead.

Tight lines

Reference " Sea Fishes of Southern Australia". By Hutchins and Swanson

Long-spiked Flathead

Common in weed and sand areas of Australia's East coast preferring offshore waters. Easily recognised by the very long spine on the side of the head.................. Also known as Western sand flathead and Spikey.

Max length 34cm.

If you consult this reference there is detailed pictures and descriptions of all flathead, 20 different varieties of which 11 are found in our area.

As the maximum length is 34cm compared to 65cm for the tiger and 68cm for the Eastern blue spot these small flathead are mature.

I find the Sea Fishes of Southern Australia a good reference and carry a copy of the flathead ID sheet in my boat.

Even though there is no legal size limit there is still a number limit on all flathead.

The spiky flatties are only small, can be a bloody nuisance at times, and have a large spike on the side of their heads, and a small amount of poison on the tips of the dorsal spines. Get spiked and your finger will sting for up to half an hour. No size limit on them. The small ones are eaten by the large blue spots and tigers, as I have had a few of the smallest spikeys attacked after hookup.

They are also called Long Spined Flathead, Platycephalus longispinnus.

In relation to the birds, I think The Producer is right, the first one is an albatross, but its called a black browed albatross. The darker bird is either a shearwater of some sort, possibly the common short tailed shearwater (aka mutton bird) or a great-winged petrel. Its hard to tell from the photo given there is no scale or sense of size to work off.