NEW RADIO QUALIFICATION NOW LAUNCHED

mrsswordfisherman

Thanks for the update

I have some questions which weren't really clear from the video

1. I assume only those boaters using a radio are required to complete the course ( ie open waters)

2. Is there a transitional period? Does this take effect immediately ? Example if I want to visit the peak this weekend would I need to complete this course before heading out

See the below from the fact sheet - I have attached it below

Anyone operating a VHF marine radio without an appropriate qualification, or not under the supervision of an appropriately qualified person, may be breaching the Radiocommunications Act 1992. Significant penalties apply. So get qualified!

If you are using a 27 MHz not needed

AWQ fact sheet_final pdf.pdf

Thanks for the update...I am very confused at the moment.

Why would i have to do a course to go fishing? If I go outside, I sign in and sign out on return with my mobile.

I have a radio on board and i have never used it.

I guess the coarse is free?

Open communication on the water saves lives. A mobile phone is unreliable and any communication is between you and one other person.

If you are in trouble and you use your radio lots of people will hear and come to your aid quicker. If you are in an urgent situation you will be glad you have a radio and have done a course on how to use it.

It is law and for good reasons. You owe it to any people you have on your boat as the cappy too.

mrsswordfisherman

Open communication on the water saves lives. A mobile phone is unreliable and any communication is between you and one other person.

If you are in trouble and you use your radio lots of people will hear and come to your aid quicker. If you are in an urgent situation you will be glad you have a radio and have done a course on how to use it.

It is law and for good reasons. You owe it to any people you have on your boat as the cappy too.

mrsswordfisherman

I agree with Mrs Swordfisherman, the mobile phone you are talking to the base only with the radio everyone is listening, you may have a boat only 2mins away where the base could be 1hr with the rescue coming. I did the course at Marine Rescue this year for the low course.

This point about mobile phones was pointed out to the class.With all the sharks around lately I want help to come fast or even faster.

norm

Corect me if im wrong but looking at this new qualification, you wont be able to go to browns or anything further for that matter and still hold a valid qualification? (AWQ only applies to 12 nm out? according to info sheet)

Yea. That's correct. Not sure how it's different calling in an emergency from 11nm to 13 nm or further but it is good that the are making it easier for some to be legal.

200nm to see is the end of Aus waters. Now I dont think that anyone here will go that far as a rec to fish lol.

Regarding the new license. What I find a bit of a joke is that probably 90% of boaties that would fish outside have no radio quals, and nobody has ever been fined for using a VHF.

If you dont know how to call properly or what to do just get the sticker that tells you. If you want to pay to do a course then do it if you dont you dont its simple really. Besides they dont have the technology to tell what boat is and isnt transmitting so it is almost impossible to fine you.

One law that doesnt work.

Edited by finin

Guys, I believe you have got my question wrong. What I was trying to say, I have a radio and I dont get on it and chat, I would only use it if i had an emergency or there is an problem.

I usually call in when i head outside and when im back through my mobile.

I also carry a inmarsat sat phone.

Who gives out the fines?

King Paul. With due respect. Donna answered your question. I think everyone else is commenting on the original post.

Tbh I'm in the same position ad you. Have a vhf but no licence. It's on the boat for an emergency. Sign on and off with rescue via an app. I figure if I need to use it, a fine though unlikely is the least of me worries.

With regard to the course being free? What would make you think that? No other licence is!

I do believe a licence is worthwhile. I have never sat a course and not felt I've learnt something new. I will be taking mine in due course.

But Finin is also correct. It's not police able. Yet another set of unenforceable rules.

That said. It probably won't stop maritime police asking. Do you have a Vhf. Can I see your licence please.

Glad you've got the radio. That's the most important. Think about getting the licence.

Steve

Based on my understanding when I read the law surrounding it. You are legally permitted to use it without a licence for emergency use.

Additionally, no licence required to own or install, only to use (in non-emergency situations).

That being said, I'll be doing the course as I think there's some valuable information to be learnt in it, when it comes to an emergency and I need to get in the VHF id like to have some idea what I'm doing.

You do the course once in your lifetime and its worth every cent to get the MROCP and you covered for all circumstances.

THATS RIGHT !!!! ONCE IN YOUR LIFETIME

I have been studying for the MROCP for a while now (just haven't gotten off my lazy bum and rang an invigilator to book an exam). This new qualification sounds tempting but the 12 mile limit is a deal breaker for me... ill stick to the MROCP!

As Swordy mentioned, once in your lifetime and you have all the details rather than messing about hoping you have the info when an emergency comes along.

The names have changed but the quals are still recognised.

The ACMA’s internationally recognised marine radio qualifications—the Marine Radio Operator Certificate of Proficiency (MROCP) and Marine Radio Operator VHF Certificate of Proficiency (MROVCP) have had a name change.

Now known as the Long-Range Operator Certificate of Proficiency (now LROCP formerly MROCP) and Short-Range Operator Certificate of Proficiency (now SROCP formerly MROVCP), these certificates remain unchanged and are issued for life.

So, if you already have one of these qualifications, you don’t need to do anything.

However, if you’re looking to get qualified and you operate a VHF marine radio only within 12 nautical miles of the coast, this new domestic qualification may be easier, cheaper and quicker to obtain.

Getting the LROCP is the way to go - even I have it!

I can't find info about the costs of the AWQ. Anyone has the link to that?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

quochoy there is a list of RTO's (registered training organisations) that can provide training and assessment on that link and fact sheet.

It has only been released so they may not have costing and the training packages ready to go just yet. I am in negotiations with a large RTO and will report back here. If anyone has any other RTO who is ready please message me.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a read through the fact sheets and I too had a lot of stuff that I didn't understand. Rather than ask a bunch of questions just decided to PMFO and sign up for the SROCP last Saturday. Main reasons I did the course;

1. It's required by LAW
  2. Only need to do it ONCE
  3. The course fee went to Marine Rescue which is run by VOLUNTEERS giving up their time up to ensure OUR SAFETY
  4. I learnt the right PROTOCOLS for operating a VHF radio
  5. The tea and bickies were yummy!!!

Please do yourself a favour and sign up for your licence. If you're in Sydney contact details as follows;

Marine Rescue Terrey Hills

Helen Medhurst

Phone: 9876 2459

Cost: $220 (think of it as a very worthwhile donation!!)