Ocean swimming: afraid of sharks?

Mike89

Hi all - I wanted to start this topic to discuss how everyone here feels about the danger of sharks or other sea creatures, or even just the squirm factor of knowing what you're sharing the waters with when swimming at the beach.

We've all seen the media coverage of the increased shark presence along the NSW coast recently, along with the attacks and fatalities that have occurred. How safe do you feel swimming at the beach? Do you feel secure knowing that you could brush up against a big fish, ray or shark?

I've been fishing only since around March and haven't taken a swim in any ocean waters during that time. I usually love a good dip in the surf during summer though, and as it's coming around I'm wondering how game I will be now that I know what's actually swimming around in the water with me!

I've caught a couple of gummy sharks at my local beach off the wharf and have seen countless numbers of big critters such as 7ft wobbegongs, PJ sharks and rays nearly 2m across hauled from the depths this year.

Just recently a mate sent me a picture of a jewfish pulled from the wharf by another guy I fish with. It was a 60-70cm fish and something had chomped right into it on the reel in. With teeth like that, in my limited experience I could only think it would have been a bull shark. I've attached the pic if anyone with more knowledge has a better suggestion as to what it could have been.

post-36711-0-64452200-1443306813_thumb.jpg

To be honest, I don't think I'll ever look at the ocean the same way again. The thought of swimming alongside big sharks makes me quiver, even if there is 99.9% chance that I won't have a run in with one.

Any spearfishers or divers here - do you feel safe swimming knowing that there could be sharks about? I know the chances of an attack are slim, but doesn't it ruffle your feathers a bit seeing them and knowing that they are there?

Edited by Mike89

It has been said that the return in numbers of sharks is an indication that our waterways are improving from the toxic dumping grounds that they once were. But, not being a marine biologist, there's plenty I don't know, so that theory could be rubbish. You're right, though, when you believe that 99% of the time, you won't have a direct encounter with a shark in the vicinity that you're swimming, but you should carefully weigh that 1% chance that you will.

I'll never deny anybody the opportunity to have a swim in our wonderful ocean beaches. Just be sensible about it. Have someone stand lookout, if possible,

Surfers in the vicinity are a great source of information about what is swimming out there. If they report lots of bait fish, mullet, etc. then there's a very good chance that a predator is nearby.

Personally, the only species of shark that really concerns me is the bull shark. Nasty creatures. And they are equally at home in salt or fresh water.

I love beach fishing and while I don't go in past my waist, I remain very alert for the presence of sharks. It's good to be concerned. just don't let concern prevent you from doing things sensibly.

Interesting post, I always have a debate with my fisho buddy regarding this topic. My mate is ABSOLUTELY and I mean, pay him and he won't do it, does not like going into the water! One sole reason, sharks. Especially, Bull Sharks.

An experienced fisho from Fish raiders actually told me, that on average 10 sharks go past a surfer (not sure about the validity of this).

What I have come to understand, is the more I spent my time around the water, I started connecting with what could really be down there. And the amount of sharks on the rise is pretty alarming. My team leader at work is someone with marine education and dived with sharks for 20 years of his life before he came into finance.

Even he had told me, he would happily swim openly with a great white, but a bull shark, maybe not so. I think I am more uncomfortable getting into the water after I started fishing haha...

Another thing that freaks me out is when Im at the beach and some fisho on the beach is chucking out barley and/or using live bait...who knows what it might attract :P

Jay

I live on the beach. Many sharks are in the water just as there are many snakes in the bush. You have more chances of dying from a hotdog than you do then being attacked by a shark!

Just like you wouldn't walk down the back alleys of kings cross at 3am, I wouldn't go swimming in miles of bait fish. Commonsense!

Is that right? Why are bull sharks seen as more dangerous that great whites? Is it to do with their behaviour then?

I do know that the last shark fatality in Sydney was in Sugarloaf Bay in the 1960s - a well-known actress was mauled by a group of bull sharks in waist-deep water. Scary! If anyone has seen the video of a bull shark cruising around Sugarloaf Bay on youtube, that is right where I fish! My 'secret' spot (one of the flat rocks along the ledge) can be clearly seen in the video!

For me it's not so much being alert and concerned about an attack, it's just the psychological impact of being in the water (unnatural environment), not being able to swim as fast and get away quickly, and knowing there are some big fish out there. Even if it is just a large wobbegong or something harmless, the thought of big creatures swimming around beneath me just cramps me up and makes me want to dash as fast as I can for the shore.

That feeling is why I don't know if I'll be swimming at the beach this summer!

@ Harry: did it scare the bejeezers out of you? Where you snorkeling from the shore or a boat? I would not have been able to remain calm in a situation like that, I'd completely freak out.

If every sea and land creature scared you, you would never ever leave your house !!

I swim most of the year at Wanda Beach, but sometimes the best waves for body surfing are a hundred yards or so out from the beach. so it means a swim out there to catch those waves. Yes, I think of the sharks that could be swimming about, but there is no point worrying about it. Enjoy life while you can, because when you die, you will be dead for a long time !

If every sea and land creature scared you, you would never ever leave your house !!

I swim most of the year at Wanda Beach, but sometimes the best waves for body surfing are a hundred yards or so out from the beach. so it means a swim out there to catch those waves. Yes, I think of the sharks that could be swimming about, but there is no point worrying about it. Enjoy life while you can, because when you die, you will be dead for a long time !

I like my sleep and you sound just like my father in-law.He says you can sleep as much as you want when your dead.As for sharks or any other creature that's the risk you have to weigh up before you venture into the animals domain I guess.

Grown up at Avoca Beach and have surfed/fished my whole life. A bit of common sense is required, was spinning just the other day at Wamberal as the sun was setting and had a solid five foot bronzie cruise to the surface where legit five minutes earlier there was two blokes surfing. Key feeding times for the Sharks is well documented is dawn/dusk so you won't see me out in the line up around these times. Have had a few scary encounters with sharks over the years but touch wood I've never been bitten yet.

Is that right? Why are bull sharks seen as more dangerous that great whites? Is it to do with their behaviour then?

I do know that the last shark fatality in Sydney was in Sugarloaf Bay in the 1960s - a well-known actress was mauled by a group of bull sharks in waist-deep water. Scary! If anyone has seen the video of a bull shark cruising around Sugarloaf Bay on youtube, that is right where I fish! My 'secret' spot (one of the flat rocks along the ledge) can be clearly seen in the video!

For me it's not so much being alert and concerned about an attack, it's just the psychological impact of being in the water (unnatural environment), not being able to swim as fast and get away quickly, and knowing there are some big fish out there. Even if it is just a large wobbegong or something harmless, the thought of big creatures swimming around beneath me just cramps me up and makes me want to dash as fast as I can for the shore.

@ Harry: did it scare the bejeezers out of you? Where you snorkeling from the shore or a boat? I would not have been able to remain calm in a situation like that, I'd completely freak out.

It was at la perouse, the rocky out crop at the end of the beach with the breakwall. I was 40m out in about 6m of water looking for octopus. The water was a bit murky, couldn't see the sea floor, so I had to cruise along about 2m under the surface with regular visits to the top for air.

After taking a gulp of air went down to my cruising depth, and I saw it...I hadn't felt that kind of fear since I was a child, not like the fear you had because you knew you were gonna cop a belting from dad because you got suspended from school, I mean the fear that you needed to act to save your life from death, an all consuming panic takes over your body,and every action seems involuntary...

In no time flat I was kicking so hard my flippers were propelling me above the waters surface. I finally got back in what was the scariest half minute of my life, but it didn't end there, my mate was also in the water. I eventually got his attention and signalled him to come in...

So I have not gone back snorkelling since.

It was at la perouse, the rocky out crop at the end of the beach with the breakwall. I was 40m out in about 6m of water looking for octopus. The water was a bit murky, couldn't see the sea floor, so I had to cruise along about 2m under the surface with regular visits to the top for air.

After taking a gulp of air went down to my cruising depth, and I saw it...I hadn't felt that kind of fear since I was a child, not like the fear you had because you knew you were gonna cop a belting from dad because you got suspended from school, I mean the fear that you needed to act to save your life from death, an all consuming panic takes over your body,and every action seems involuntary...

In no time flat I was kicking so hard my flippers were propelling me above the waters surface. I finally got back in what was the scariest half minute of my life, but it didn't end there, my mate was also in the water. I eventually got his attention and signalled him to come in...

So I have not gone back snorkelling since.

Mate that seems like a very scary situation to be in. Ive also seen bulsharks while fishing and I can tell you the one system I would never swim in is port hacking, it is chokkas with big and small bullsharks, ive also seen hammerheads in there. The thing that gets me most is the parents who let their kids swim away from the nets, if they've seen what I have I doubt they would let them anywhere near the water.

I live on the beach. Many sharks are in the water just as there are many snakes in the bush. You have more chances of dying from a hotdog than you do then being attacked by a shark!

Just like you wouldn't walk down the back alleys of kings cross at 3am, I wouldn't go swimming in miles of bait fish. Commonsense!

Scary a way to go!

Eating one of Scratchies Hot dogs......LOL

JD

Edited by Johndory

Mate that seems like a very scary situation to be in. Ive also seen bulsharks while fishing and I can tell you the one system I would never swim in is port hacking, it is chokkas with big and small bullsharks, ive also seen hammerheads in there. The thing that gets me most is the parents who let their kids swim away from the nets, if they've seen what I have I doubt they would let them anywhere near the water.

A couple of years ago, a scuba diver was outside the Gymea Bay bathes doing a net inspection for damage and large holes. He was aware that something was swimming past his back, turned around and saw a bull shark about 10 feet long, just cruising along. He jumped out rather quickly and continued the net inspection from inside the bathes.

A couple of years ago, a scuba diver was outside the Gymea Bay bathes doing a net inspection for damage and large holes. He was aware that something was swimming past his back, turned around and saw a bull shark about 10 feet long, just cruising along. He jumped out rather quickly and continued the net inspection from inside the bathes.

Yeah those nuts of steel everyone has BEFORE they see a real killer up close shrivel up real quick...

I should know hahaa

There's a good documentary that was on ABC not to long about about all the Bull Sharks in Sydney Harbour, and how they were catching quiet few each night and tracking their movements. A navy clearance diver was very lucky to also survive an attack in the harbour from a Bullshark.

Must admit on our trips out to oz have only swam within the netted areas because I do have a fear of sharks. The only occasion I did not swim in a netted area was when my daughter persuaded me to go snorkling at Shelly Beach,Manly.. I did not really enjoy it as I was too busy on the lookout for sharks.

I have heard that sharks do prefer pommie flavour :sun:

John

More chance of being murdered than attacked by a shark, pretty good odds to me, jump in and have swim!

If

You think that you have been swimming in te beach before and there hasn't been a shark within 1 km of you your kidding yourself.

One thing to see a shark it's another for that shark to actually attack you.

I used to swim every Sunday at Hermit Beach (just in side Rose Bay) but I have started to get a little

paranoid about it so I swim at Nielsen Park now which is enclosed with a net between September and May.

Interestingly, the woman who died at Sugarloaf bay may have recovered if the ambulance hadn't broken down requiring people push it up the road.

I watched that documentary on bull sharks and certainly all the tagged ones favor the western side of the harbour.... so swim at Camp Cove or Lady Bay!

You have a higher chance of dying when you get in a car, you dont see people scared of that. More people die each year by getting trampled by cows. It is the fact that they grow to 5 metres long and have teeth that is scary. I think culling is not the answer, we have to accept when we go to the beach it is their territory and there is always a chance of a shark.

Bull Sharks are a very aggressive species. Whatever body part or limb they hit... is gone. Some say they are just plain territorial and do not like anything/anyone near them. Great whites are not as dangerous as people or hollywood makes them to be. My team leader fed and swam with sharks for 20 years. There is videos (below), of people FREE swimming with great whites (no protection, no chain mail)...they do not hit unless water is murky or hungry. Bull sharks.. (also see video below)...are VERY unpredictable...

Swimming with Great White

Bull shark behaviour

Just always respect the Ocean...we are its guest.

Jay

I'm sure some of you would've seen this the other day - Selfies cause more deaths now than shark attacks.

http://mobile.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/you-are-now-at-more-risk-of-dying-while-taking-a-selfie-than-being-killed-by-a-shark/story-fnq2oad4-1227539800134

No point living in fear and letting it control whether or not you go for a swim. Just enjoy the water

I do a bit of snorkelling here and there.

It's one of those things that sticks I. Your head, especially as visibility gets worse. I'm always slightly panicked in ocean water I can't stand in, not because I can't swim - just because I assume there's a shark under my feet :P

Doesn't stop me swimming or having fun, just sticks in the back of my mind.

Did anyone see the newspaper article on the scuba instructor that was inside the shark net taking photos of his group? Loaded the photos on the computer and there was a giant great white just off to the side... Inside the net...

Nobody in the group even saw it until the photo - just goes to show how easy it is to miss them too I spose.

Guest Guest123456789

Check out this link:

https://taronga.org.au/conservation/conservation-science-research/australian-shark-attack-file/2015

On average 3 million people each year are killed by shark attacks and 20 people are injured. The odds of getting attacked are less than 1%. Being afraid of a shark attack is as silly as being afraid of getting shot by a lunatic at a cafe. Sure it can happen but the odds are ridiculously low.