Getting my boat, motor and self set up

jeffb5.8

Here is my Novel

This story actually starts 7 weeks earlier, after thinking my old 81 Johnson 25hp was on its last legs, (it isn't) I checked Gumtree and bought a 2007 mercury 25hp with my tax cheque.

Brought the so called low hours motor home to find it pumps water with ear muffs but not when in a tanks.

Organised to get it serviced which was quoted $320 including water pump, which turned into $550 after it was found not to have a thermostat and missing bolt in the tiller handle.

So I get the outboard home, head to Fiji for 2 weeks holiday and then with 2 of the kids back at school and one day left of my holidays, I take the 3.5yr old out for a cruise and fish.

The motor was very hard to start, took ages and I pulled a muscle in my shoulder, finally started and we putted up the river from wharf rd ramp.

Got to Ryde bridge and went full throttle and off she went for 150mtrs, then the motor died, checked the fuel bulb it was soft and I though low fuel, I added 10ltrs from my spare and primed the motor it started and again we set off went full throttle and made 300mtrs then it died again.

The fuel line from the tank to motor looked new but the primer bulb was collapsing, so I waved down a nice bloke in a bar crusher who towed us back. Thanks again

Changed fuel line and the motor started better and ran well in the tank.

Waited another week and wrangled a mate to come and help me set up the new outboard on Sunday we launched the boat and set off, opened to full throttle and excellent we were still going only it had a rooster tail spraying about 1 mtr high and 1 mtr wide.

Googled it and then I changed the pin locations and bingo no rooster tail and it went a lot faster and steering was lighter.

Now I am super happy it was running well, So we pulled up on the eastern side of the Gladesville bridge and put some burley out, cut up some sea mullet and had a fish.

Caught plenty of pinkies and then my light rod gets smashed by a 33cm bream which was fun on 4lb line, while I am bringing the bream in, my other rod with 6lb braid and 8lb leader starts screaming, being new to fishing I was trying to reel it with one hand and hold my other rod with the other, which I soon realised was silly so my mate grabs it an then fight starts, Pete did really well and soon we had a 72cm fish in the net, look at our fish chart and it's a mulloway.

Quick photo and it's back in the water as we were not really prepare for large fish and both did not want to take a fish if we could not keep it in good condition to eat.

So after a great day on the water, motor goes well, boat is set up well and we had a PB Jew and the first I have ever seen.

Bring on more days out, just have to install the Bimini cover to the Tinnie.

Thanks if you made it this far.

Jeff

7CA29343-4879-459A-B0C2-BDBFCE14280D.jpg

The kids love it and cannot wait to go again

98FD0551-4BB0-4835-BAC0-43E5A76F39F8.jpg

Edited by jeffb5.8