Short hacking session

SgtBundy

With the chores and lunch done and nothing else on the agenda I was given leave to go for a session. I was aware of the storm forecast but with nothing on the radar yet I took my chances. I headed to the hacking simply because I had no luck in the harbour of late.

Got to Salmon haul beach around 3:45 and in the car the reports of storms at Camden had me regreting the long drive but I was going to get in what I could. I had some left over squid and a few banana prawns and pillies. I set some squid out on my 12ft rod out far and used some prawn in close. No activity for about 45 minutes - the squid had been shredded by pickers so I replaced it with a pillie but it didnt get touched.

I prospected with the prawn and eventually got some taps but just managled bait. I switched to a small squid strip that happened to fall off the first big bait and set that out.

Right around 5pm with the storm now threatening I got a solid hit on my squid strip and the drag started screaming off. I had 10lb braid so I did the drag up a little but it was still giving me curry. The runs it gave me and the weight I thought I had a salmon on or maybe a small king. It was not keen to come in. In front of me I had about 5m of barnacle and weed covered rocks before a drop to sand and my braid was going straight into the rocks - I managed to lift it and bring it in some more and as it cleared the drop off I saw I had a good flathead.

I got it up and over the weeds and landed it on the rock I was standing on just as he wore through the leader (I think 15lb FC, dont think it was my 6lb). After a few escape attempts and desparate grabs to hang on I had it on the brag mat. At 54cm it was my new PB.

4fbf5c87b2ee4445f8343815c2e21385.jpg

I kept it for the table. I had time enough for another cast before thunder and my 12ft lightening magnet dictated it was time to go. I considered waiting out the storm and having another go but between the size of the cells and the time I opted to head home so I could have the catch back home for dinner.

Done in beer batter for my wife and I. Needed a little flavouring but was a good feed none the less.

aec7e57796c980406d021620eaaa6781.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk