P.S I love you xxx

Scratchie

G'day raiders,

Sorry about the title but for all of those that travel up here it is our slogan!

Anyway, headed out this morning with the new young apprentice from work and I thought I'd give little scratchie jnr a day off school and he came to! We set off from shoal bay about 630 and rounded the corner to less than 1m swell and no wind, agh perfect! Went to cabbage tree and picked up a heap of livies in no time. There was plenty of boats collecting bait, so I didn't want to waste time and headed straight to the sisters. We got there and there was no one there.???? So I started by trolling livies whilst I was sounding out the bottom. No luck on the troll but managed to find a few nice marks. So the drift was set and we began to throw a few sp's and baited hooks. It wasn't long before we had a few little pannies and a heap of reef fish. In fact, jnr probably could have started his own aquarium. So there was a bit of action but not what I wanted. So I changed to my secret weapon of prawn on a jighead. I casted out waited and felt tap tap, damn another picker but then all of a sudden zzzzzzzzzzzzz and this thing took off like a rocket. A 10min fight ensured which included us chasing this fish and then a great netting effort by jnr and it was all over!

post-24974-0-79607200-1447130606_thumb.jpg

The young apprentice had never heard line scream off the reel like that before and he wanted some action. Unfortunately, there were no more big boys to come and play but he still managed a couple of pannies and nice sized tarwhine.

post-24974-0-82498400-1447131001_thumb.jpg

We changed a few locations like north rock, cod rock and west head but the same result at each with undersized snapper and reefies. The sun was too high so we headed deep but by now the wind had kicked in and made drifting a bit difficult. We decided to head for home and were shown the way by a pod of dolphins playing in the bow waves. So I thought I'd charge the apprentice a little more for the dolphin watch tour! :)

So we arrived back at the islands out the headlands and with a bit of time to spare I thought we'd have a bit of a troll with some deep divers. The water is still showing only 20.0deg so I didn't think there would be much about but one rod goes off and jnr was the quickest to it. A great little fight for the young fella and what did he catch??? Well to my surprise, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure its an amberjack!

post-24974-0-32230000-1447131576_thumb.jpg

We called it a day after that and was back at home with the boat and gear washed down by 2pm. What a great day on the water! How good is Port Stephens and we haven't even got to the marlin season yet!

Thanks for reading,

Cheers scratchie!!!

Nice one mate! Prawn on a jig head?? If you don't mind me asking what weight jig head were you using and were you jigging the prawn or just letting it drift? Congrats again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't give away all my secrets! Yes I can, I don't care. Mate, 1/4oz jig same as throwing sp's in 15-20m of ocean water. A peeled large banana prawn. Cast out and let it drift down. Once you hit the bottom work it back towards you like an sp but in long loops and slowly wind in the slack. I've caught more snapper using that technique than any other! Hope that helps!

Just got home after the usual daily Sydney traffic dance and read this, you got it made Jeff , good fish for this time of year....I'll be up over Christmas, we'll hook up for a beer and a session... Keep the reports coming bud!

Just got home after the usual daily Sydney traffic dance and read this, you got it made Jeff , good fish for this time of year....I'll be up over Christmas, we'll hook up for a beer and a session... Keep the reports coming bud!

Cheers Craig! I was quiet happy. November is probably the worst time of year up here. But add that to the twenty whiting and few flatty I caught yesterday, tonight gunna be a good feed.

Let me know when your up here next!

JESUS your a bad Example mate , first your taking SICKIES now you got your apprentice in on it as well !!!! I might have to close up shop & work for you as an apprentice ... ( I'd settle for less pay & more Fishing) Congrats on that Snapper & Well done to Jnr on the Amberjack !

Nice one scratchie. Living the dream. PS I love you. A Beatles song ?

Who's the Beatles? Must have been before my time. Lol :)

No Steve, it's the slogan for our area! I'll post a pic soon! Pretty tacky I know but I like an attractive heading!

Living the dream,

Yep amberjack, I released a bunch one day cos I thought they were undersized kings

never caught them at PS before especially while trolling.

Smashing them as always Jeff! Well done mate.

cheers pete! time on the water=fish

A nice reddie, amongst the other fish, BUT, the title makes me wonder if you have spent too much time living where you do. :074:

p.s I love you too yowie! I was a product of the seventies! lol. mate, you could never live here long enough!

JESUS your a bad Example mate , first your taking SICKIES now you got your apprentice in on it as well !!!! I might have to close up shop & work for you as an apprentice ... ( I'd settle for less pay & more Fishing) Congrats on that Snapper & Well done to Jnr on the Amberjack !

I don't think I've had a sickie in 20 years. I wanted to get to know the young bloke better, so what a great way to do it! he's not a bad kid, after all he made it back to the ramp :)

Well done Jeff and thanks for the tip. Sounds like the young guys had a cracker day!

Cheers

Pete

thanks mate. 'twas a good day

Right. I'll definitely give it a go! Cheers for the advice. Too effort once again [emoji106][emoji3]

Nice one!

Im tempted to book a holiday up there in Feb, its a toss up between PS and JB!

in your boat I'd be choosing PS. a lot of options available to you!

Well done mate! Good to see you taking out others! Nice snapper indeed. And interesting style for the prawn on the jighead. LOL I actually thought you meant a SP that looks like a prawn at first :P

thanks jay. mate I'm always taking people out. It's great catching up with fellow raiders or teaching keen young fishos. it's a technique I swear by, try it!

in your boat I'd be choosing PS. a lot of options available to you!

The other half likes the idea of camping on broughton island.

Might come up for 3 or 4 days and do an overnighter at the island. Just trying to work out how much fuel and fishing I can do with a trip to the island and back!

The other half likes the idea of camping on broughton island.

Might come up for 3 or 4 days and do an overnighter at the island. Just trying to work out how much fuel and fishing I can do with a trip to the island and back!

The island is only 14km from the headland. Camping on broughton is fairly primitive. Yesterday, I used 30lt to travel there and back, moved 6 locations and spent probably 1.5hrs trolling. It just depends how far offshore you want to go once your up there. The other thing to consider is that if your camping up there and the weather turns to shit, there's every chance you'll get stuck there until it improves!

The island is only 14km from the headland. Camping on broughton is fairly primitive. Yesterday, I used 30lt to travel there and back, moved 6 locations and spent probably 1.5hrs trolling. It just depends how far offshore you want to go once your up there. The other thing to consider is that if your camping up there and the weather turns to shit, there's every chance you'll get stuck there until it improves!

We'd probably be cruising around the east of the island for a bit of a troll and throwing some bait around. Good to hear the fuel isn't too bad - gives us some more options to play with!.

We're looking at Feb so hopefully the weather wont go too foul... if it does, whats the wildlife like on the island? edible? :P

Where did you launch from?

Looks like a magical part of the world, hopefully we can T it up for a trip, we're both keen on hiking and camping so it'll be awesome to combine 2 hobbies!

We'd probably be cruising around the east of the island for a bit of a troll and throwing some bait around. Good to hear the fuel isn't too bad - gives us some more options to play with!.

We're looking at Feb so hopefully the weather wont go too foul... if it does, whats the wildlife like on the island? edible? :P

Where did you launch from?

Looks like a magical part of the world, hopefully we can T it up for a trip, we're both keen on hiking and camping so it'll be awesome to combine 2 hobbies!

I wouldn't fish or troll just east of the island as it's a sanctuary zone. And as for hiking, I wouldn't know. I couldn't drag myself away from fishing up there to go for a walk! :)