greenwich kingfish

chevvyy

post-31318-0-06986600-1447409087_thumb.jpgpost-31318-0-99664500-1447409125_thumb.jpgpost-31318-0-17756500-1447409159_thumb.jpg

After what was a difficult week for me due to my father ending up in hospital ,i decided to hook up the boat and spent a few hours enjoying the beautiful waters of the harbour and hopefully bag a fish or two..

The weather report was not filling me with confidence ,but the morning looked good so i decided to go for it . Stopped at the gladesville bridge for a quick drift in hope of a jewfish but didn't get any love today so decided to keep going east .

As i got to cockatoo island i noticed a large number of seagulls swooping and hovering .Lots of surface action so i cast out and hooked up a decent size taylor ( Great fun to catch IMO ) . With my next hook up to another taylor i noticed somethnig following which i recognised as a few kingfish that were a health size !!!! WELL this changes everything i said to myself ( I've been trying to catch a legal kingfish for about a year now.)

I rigg up my go to lure the squid vicious ,let it drop and start to jig then i feel a pull the rod buckles over and line is peeling off like I've never felt before .My heart is pumping and the fight is on with me getting line back and then loosing it to another run . Back and forth we go and just when i thought i had the upper hand it screams off and SNAPS my leader about a foot behind the hook.

At this point I'm gutted but not defeated . I proceed to hook up two more what feel like big fish only to suffer the same fate !@!!## . BTW I'm using 8lb braid and leader with a stradic 2500 and at this point decide to up the leader to 20b in hope of holding on to what ever is laughing at me from bellow .

This proves to help and lands me a healthy 68cm

kingfish after a five min war ,tripping over and breaking my tackle box wrestling with the net and trying to avoid the nearby moorings. Ahh the joys of the solo fish!!!! With a smile from ear to ear i let out a WOO HOOO that was loud enough to catch the attention of a passing ferry passengers .

i go on to catch a 55cm JEWFISH and release ,more taylor and good size Flathead .

The best part of the day was that all this took place close to Greenwich were i spent many a night with my dad as he was a very committed fisherman in his day . Due to his declining health fishing with him is no longer a possibility but will always be some of my best memories growing up !!!!!

Top read mate ... Sorry to hear about your fathers health & Hopefully he gets better soon.. I'm sure he'll be proud to hear of all those times he spent in training you to be a fisherman has paid off !! Well done mate !!!!