pre-xmas trailer check-up

jgrant666

Hi Raiders

Looking to take the new boat down to merimbula, then up to coffs harbour over our family christmas break, so a lot of K's on the cards!

It'll be by far the most we've towed the boat since we bought it a few months ago and the mrs is a bit worried about the long trips. We know the boat is ok but I haven't had much experience with trailers or what to look for (other than the very basics - rust, working lights, tyre pressure)

Any tips for a general safety check or can people recommend businesses that would give it a once over? I know a lot of boat places are flat-out this time of year, maybe tyre places or something?

Any specific businesses please send via PM as per the site rules

thanks in advance!

If our site sponsor can't help you,any good mechanic can give it the once over.God bless your wife for being concerned,as far to many once a year towers don't give their trailers the attention they deserve and pay the price.

Just make sure you have good tyres at the right pressure and electricals are all working properly with the boat properly secured to the trailer.

Stay attentive,drive at a safe speed and enjoy your holiday.

I rarely go on long trips,but when I do I go over the trailer with a fine tooth comb checking for loose/missing parts,cracked welds,Frayed wiring,etc,etc.

But good tyres,wheel bearings,electricals will get you there and back safely at a minimum.

Cheers.

Both of above is GOOD ADVICE

Your Mrs is right have concern if you have a bit of doubt about the running gear.

You see far to many road side disasters because of ignorance, so good for you to be looking into it now not after the fact

JD.

We have a trailer business as a site sponsor. Although Sean is located out of Sydney, I'm sure he'll be able to assist you.......just click here.

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=77208#entry550334

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks Scratchie!

If our site sponsor can't help you,any good mechanic can give it the once over.God bless your wife for being concerned,as far to many once a year towers don't give their trailers the attention they deserve and pay the price.

Just make sure you have good tyres at the right pressure and electricals are all working properly with the boat properly secured to the trailer.

Stay attentive,drive at a safe speed and enjoy your holiday.

I rarely go on long trips,but when I do I go over the trailer with a fine tooth comb checking for loose/missing parts,cracked welds,Frayed wiring,etc,etc.

But good tyres,wheel bearings,electricals will get you there and back safely at a minimum.

Cheers.

Thanks Fab1 - I generally give it a once over anyway and recently checked the tyre pressures, but I think given the amount of K's involved betterto have a professional cast their eye over it

Both of above is GOOD ADVICE

Your Mrs is right have concern if you have a bit of doubt about the running gear.

You see far to many road side disasters because of ignorance, so good for you to be looking into it now not after the fact

JD.

Too right! I definitely don't want to e a roadside casualty sitting next to a busted trailer. If nothing else the kids would drive me nuts with boredom while we waited for a tow or whatever, before you even think about safety or potential accident if we had a lowout or suspension failure

i would be replacing the Wheel Bearings, so you know where your at with them.........Where abouts are you located?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm in ermington, I believe you guys are right down south so could be tough to get down that way before christmas?

Hi unfortunately don't do labour (qualified yes, but shop only) as others have said Shadows Trailers, Sean is great, we have dealt together, but he is in Bathurst and its close to Christmas, he does travel down, so would be worth a phone call./message..........yarraone

If it was mine and I wasn't doing it myself, and I couldnt get hold of Sean, then I would check with a mechanic workshop, and I would be pricing, replace Wheel Bearings.....NOT, clean, inspect and repair, Bearings are under $20 per set to buy, just replace them yearly.

Then as everyone has said, inspect tyres, suspension, lights etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Ian Bat (Roadrunner Parts)

don't forget to check you winch and safety chain from post to bow. as I had my winch cable brake one night driving back from Qld. Only for the safety chain I would have lost the boat off the trailer, I also up graded my tie downs after that.

Cheers David

PS by the way enjoy your travels