Past two days.

mitchie18092

Headed out early yesterday on a mates boat. Long day for little reward unfortunately but nice being out in the water.

Loaded up on yakkas and squid - and off to test my mates new downrigger around north head. Started harbour side and worked our way right round to bluefish point for not a touch. Nothing of note popping up on the sounder either. (Did see a 3-4m bronzie or bull shark out there though)

Headed down to the colours and back into the harbour for not a touch.

Tried for some more squid to wait for the next tide change. Managed a few cuttles and an occi.

Anchored up amongst some deep moorings and was pretty slow going as well. Few red rock cod, a salmon, trev, bream and an eel.

12fca552b0361d49068a12c26041a5c0.jpg

Did the octopus last night and boy did it come up a treat. Tenderized over my mail box, braised for an hour and a half, straight into a marinade and then chargrilled on the barbie. Yum!

(Pre bbq)

a1d022ef735f7e2eff2561a34f99dd50.jpg

Just popped out for an hour for a plastic sesh at rose bay. 2 flatties in 5 casts (just legal so threw them back) and that was that on the flattie front.

Moved up the other end of the beach to try for whiting and managed this guy.

c211b09544860b0ddd115993f3448a7b.jpg

Certainly gave me some curry - was fat as. The school spooked and wind picked up so home I went, lunch in hand.

77cf7c23905ef56b4e69cea1b57eafeb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok,

i'll ask, what does tenderizing over the letter box mean?

BELTING the HELL out of it !!! Feel sorry for the mail man ....LOL.... Concrete slab is my preffered option ...

ok,

i'll ask, what does tenderizing over the letter box mean?

ha, as mentioned, just beating it for a good 20 minutes and rubbing it really firmly into the ground - just softens up the meat. needless to say, I got a few funny looks from the dog walkers!!

Nice occy! High underrated IMO. Prepared and cooked right make a bloody fantastic meal. I often order it in restaurants when I get the chance but not many do it well. Sounds like a good couple of days fishing. Well done! :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Ok, so you lay it across the top of your letterbox

and hit it with a mallet or something like that?

Not quite. Literally pick it up by head, and slam it into the ground/rock/letterbox/hard place over and over. (Keep in mind, my letterbox is attached to the front fence so it's essentially beating it over bricks).

For reference:

Then prepare it - cut out the eyes, ink sack, beak and 'guts' inside the head, and then I like to cut it up into individual tentacles plus the head.

Then I whack it into a simmering pot of water with aromatics (whatever you like really - celery, carrot, onion, garlic, ginger, spice and seasoning etc.) and let it braise for an hour to an hour and a half over minimal heat.

Just before you take it out, have a marinade ready. A basic one of olive oil, lemon and lime juice, zest, garlic, chilli and salt will do.

Take it straight out of the water and into the marinade while it's still hot, then let it cool and soak it all up - preferably over night but an hour will do.

Finish it off over some hot coals or on the BBQ for a bit of char and colour. Well worth the effort I can assure you!!

Yeah that whiting looks like it's got some good muscle round the tail section, he would've given you a bit of grief on light gear.

Sure did mate. Few better sights in fishing than watching a little surface lure getting followed by a school of stud whiting! Did have a few more hits and momentary hook ups, unfortunately he was the only one that stuck.

Hi, nice catch.

Whiting & octopus, 2 of my 3 most wanted species, the other being calamari.

Have you ever tried a meat tenderizer, wood or metal, works a treat for me.

Just gently beat the occy or calamari with it for about 5 min. on a cutting board.

Then cook as you like.

Cheers.