Life Jackets Save Lives

Day's Fishin

Took the grand kids for a fish yesterday (Sat 12th) we were stopped at Dads cnr by a police officer on a wave runner and told they were searching for a body. I could see a houseboat with the state emergency service boat tied to it. There was a Christmas party on Friday night on board the houseboat and a 18 year old decided to go for a swim. He was seen in trouble but they lost sight of him. They recovered the body around lunch time.

If only he had a life jacket on!

The main message to come from this traguc death is not about wearing a life jacket. Yes very highly recommended when on the waterway regardless of what activity you participating in but the main message is do not go swimming when your drunk and then decide to jump off your house boat roof at 9pm!! Very silly mistake that someone could have tried to persuade him from doing. Very sad loss

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Do I swim with a life jacket on?

In an area at night that has massive currents and alcohol is involved, you would be an idiot if you didn't.

Living on the river for the last 40 odd years I have read about numerous drowning's. Majority of which have been people that have come to use the river without knowing the potential dangers of a fast flowing river with many underwater logs etc.

Dad's Cnr is between Webbs Creek and Lower Portland.

Has a big eddy that swirls enough to pull someone under without a life jacket on. (at Times)

It tends to collect a lot of rubbish before it shoots it back out into the current.

I was at Juno point Saturday for the first time.. I can not believe the tides ! The current is crazy around there

Juno has nothing on the upper Hawkesbury. If you pull your anchor before starting your motor you could be 100meters or more where you do not want to be.

The water can rise 2 meters where I live and the run out tide sometimes resembles rapids.

Do I swim with a life jacket on?

In an area at night that has massive currents and alcohol is involved, you would be an idiot if you didn't.

Living on the river for the last 40 odd years I have read about numerous drowning's. Majority of which have been people that have come to use the river without knowing the potential dangers of a fast flowing river with many underwater logs etc.

Dad's Cnr is between Webbs Creek and Lower Portland.

Has a big eddy that swirls enough to pull someone under without a life jacket on. (at Times)

It tends to collect a lot of rubbish before it shoots it back out into the current.

This is not a personal dig at you and please dont take it the wrong way but anyone who says their being safe by wearing a lift jacket at night in an area with current whilst under the influence isnt aw smart as they think they are as it is simple. Do not go swimmint if under the influence jacket or not. Current or not. Day or nighr!!! Simple

I have to agree. Life jackets are a wonderful invention and invaluable if you are doing something (e.g. Boating, water skiing, jetskiing, rock fishing etc) where you don't expect to end up in the drink.

If you intentionally dive in however and you cannot swim, or feel uncomfortable without a jacket, then you almost certainly should not be in the water in the first place. Exceptions obviously for young children or possibly older adults learning to swim, but even then it is safer in a pool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Juno has nothing on the upper Hawkesbury. If you pull your anchor before starting your motor you could be 100meters or more where you do not want to be.

The water can rise 2 meters where I live and the run out tide sometimes resembles rapids.

Where about is this? I fish spencer a lot when I get the chance.

This young fella was the grandson of friends my wife and I. From all reports he was like others enjoying festive cheer. Not normally a big drinker, a very good young bloke who worked hard and enjoyed life.

Just goes to show, make one poor decision and it's all over.

Probably should look at making class 2 life jackets mandatory on these boats that are hired by people/businesses that are obviously going to party while in board. Just a thought.

RIP

Edited by shakey55

This young fella was the grandson of friends my wife and I. From all reports he was like others enjoying festive cheer. Not normally a big drinker, a very good young bloke who worked hard and enjoyed life.

Probably should look at making class 2 life jackets mandatory on these boats that are hired by people/businesses that are obviously going to party while in board. Just a thought.

RIP

Mate i am so sorry for your loss and condolences to your friends and their fanily. I quite like that suggestion of making it mandatory however in this day and age kids wont follow those rules they will find a quiet spot and just take them off. Very unfortunate and as you said it only take one small mistake ; ( rip young man

RIP

I feel very sorry for this young blokes family and friends.

I have witnessed many near accidents and 1 accident from idiots that have no idea what they are doing.

The law needs to be changed so that you can not rent one of these boats unless you have a boat licence.

Partying on these boats is great but there is always a danger of something going wrong when alcohol and water mix.