Just Sold a Car - Interesting Moral Dilema

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

Here an interesting one for you.

What would you do in this situation...

Just sold a car and got probably 2k less than market value which was about 2k above most speculative offers.

Guy inspects the car.

Takes if for a test drive.

Says he wants it.

Comes back the next day with the cash.

We do the paperwork, count the cash and shake hands.

He drives off and half an hour later he calls me to tell me there is an engine warning light on.

I tell him that it wasn't there before and he agrees.

I suggest he checks the manual to see what the light means and lets me know.

So what would you do fellow raiders?

G'day Jim. I know that you would feel less than good about the situation. Had this "warning light" ever come on whilst you had driven the car? If it hadn't, I would point that out to the guy and remind him that he got the car for a bargain price, then leave him with it. If it was a recurring problem though, that could be a bit different. Cheers.

G'day Jim. I know that you would feel less than good about the situation. Had this "warning light" ever come on whilst you had driven the car? If it hadn't, I would point that out to the guy and remind him that he got the car for a bargain price, then leave him with it. If it was a recurring problem though, that could be a bit different. Cheers.

Hi Neil,

The warning light did come on about 2 years ago and from memory it was something to do with the pollution control and the dealer replaced a sensor.

It hasn't lit up since then. It has been sitting around for 5 months so perhaps that has something to do with it.

Edited by fragmeister

Neil, it could be an O2 sensor (most likely) or, because it hasn't been used in 5 months, may have had a glitch in the computer. If he takes it to a servo or auto electrician, it can be reset on the scanner and then if it comes back, it may need attention. Also, the scanner should indicate just where the problem lies, if anywhere at all. Just advise him to get the error code reset.

Neil, it could be an O2 sensor (most likely) or, because it hasn't been used in 5 months, may have had a glitch in the computer. If he takes it to a servo or auto electrician, it can be reset on the scanner and then if it comes back, it may need attention. Also, the scanner should indicate just where the problem lies, if anywhere at all. Just advise him to get the error code reset.

If the car is in the NRMA roadside assistance they can scan the error code and reset it if necessary

Thanks boys,

Neil's assessment that I am uncomfortable about this is spot on so I want to help the buyer out.

I'll text him that advice.

Cheers

Jim

Funny that this happen to me also.. Brought a car , test drove it paid the cash the next day.. One week later the engine like light came one and it was the o2 sensor , replaced for $150 and all fixed now..

Now I wouldn't call the old owner and tell them that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Jim , Good on you for trying to do the right thing ... I'm a Mobile Mechanic & I'll be more than happy to hook up my scanner to it (free of charge) . At least that way you'll know exactly what your dealing with & it will put your mind at ease ..... Glad to help out a fellow Raider .... Just PM me ."

Thanks for your offers, suggestions and kind words boys.

I have just come back from a few days camping at Bonnievale on the Hacking ( trying to muscle in on Yowie's fish!)

I have been in communication with the buyer of the car (Captiva 2008) and the error code was reset but came back and was indicating a timing chain/belt issue.

This was replaced at around 60,000 ks at just over 5 years under Holden's assisted warranty scheme and cost me $480.

The car now has 105,000ks. I didn't know this was a recurring problem... I though I was just unlucky.

Apparently the buyer has been told that it may respond to some computer tweaking otherwise its a $3,500 repair.

I told the buyer that I want to help him but not if he takes it to Holden and their inflated repair costs.

It seems a search on the web turns up a lot of instances of this model with timing chain issues. Pity, otherwise it was a reliable car.

Waiting for the result of the computer tweaking.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

Thanks for your offers, suggestions and kind words boys.

I have just come back from a few days camping at Bonnievale on the Hacking ( trying to muscle in on Yowie's fish!)

I have been in communication with the buyer of the car (Captiva 2008) and the error code was reset but came back and was indicating a timing chain/belt issue.

This was replaced at around 60,000 ks at just over 5 years under Holden's assisted warranty scheme and cost me $480.

The car now has 105,000ks. I didn't know this was a recurring problem... I though I was just unlucky.

Apparently the buyer has been told that it may respond to some computer tweaking otherwise its a $3,500 repair.

I told the buyer that I want to help him but not if he takes it to Holden and their inflated repair costs.

It seems a search on the web turns up a lot of instances of this model with timing chain issues. Pity, otherwise it was a reliable car.

Waiting for the result of the computer tweaking.

Cheers

Jim

Those captivas are known for having electrical gremlins Jim as you have just found out,and it won't be the first or last to have its PCM replaced if that's the case.The Captivas are based on the Korean Daewoos that GM took over that have ceased operation a long time ago in Australia.I laugh when people who drive Captivas,Barinas and cruzes say why do you drive a Daewoo.Little do they know their driving around in rebadged Daewoos also.

I thought the timing belt change intervals where 90k on them.

Edited by Fab1

In our Mechanical trade there known as CRAPTIVA !!!!!

Yes... I believe it!.

I originally bought it based on having a Holden credit card with a lot of points on it.

Got me a $6,000 discount and at the time I started a new business and cashflow was a bit of a problem.

Generally the car was reliable but I never really liked it.

The final straw was getting the boat stuck in the mud at the Silverwater boat ramp ... the Captiva just

wouldn't pull it out.

I've been a Jeep owner of many years ... had three of them and never had a single problem.

So I went back to a Jeep. I bought Grand Cherokee Overland with 5.7 V8 earlier this year.

I have a fair amount of exposure to clients and it presents well but also has no problems pulling the boat.