Buying Hooks what type and where from

jeffb5.8

Ok

So i left one of my Tackle boxes (Containing my Hooks) on the beach at Shoal-bay the other day, while taking the kids fishing. After topping it up and sorting them into sizes and getting rid of any suspect ones, i am spewing.

I only found out today when i took the boat out in Syd Harbour to take the Nephew and Brother out for a day today. Only had the hooks on the lines and two i found in the boat.

So i need to replace my hook as i don't have any. I mainly target Flathead, Bream, Whiting and Snapper but have caught a Jew fish as well. I do like to catch and release but also take a feed as well.

I fish Syd Harbour, Hawkesbury, Jarvis Bay and St Georges Basin.

1. What type of hook should i purchase (Long Shank, Circle, Bait holder, Beak,)

2. Is one brand better than another

3. is the a site sponsor who sells Tackle and will post or is in Sydney

4. What size range min to max, i am not into deep see or game.

Thanks for any replies

Jeff.

Edited by jeffb5.8

mustad wide gap hooks are good for flathead if you are drifting

with the kids. they tend to hook themselves.

Bream have a hard mouth so I try with some of the red mustad 3/0

suicide.

I've always liked the black magic circle 3/0 and 4/0 too.

Caveat, I'm a bit hot and cold when it comes to catching so YMMV

I figure that hooks are probably the cheapest bit of the whole rig so I buy a few packets

of everything and I'm prepared to change. One thing I look for is to see which hooks

there are fewest of on the shelves. They are the more popular ones

Good luck, sorry about your tacklebox

Ok

So i left one of my Tackle boxes (Containing my Hooks) on the beach at Shoal-bay the other day, while taking the kids fishing. After topping it up and sorting them into sizes and getting rid of any suspect ones, i am spewing.

I only found out today when i took the boat out in Syd Harbour to take the Nephew and Brother out for a day today. Only had the hooks on the lines and two i found in the boat.

So i need to replace my hook as i don't have any. I mainly target Flathead, Bream, Whiting and Snapper but have caught a Jew fish as well. I do like to catch and release but also take a feed as well.

I fish Syd Harbour, Hawkesbury, Jarvis Bay and St Georges Basin.

1. What type of hook should i purchase (Long Shank, Circle, Bait holder, Beak,)

2. Is one brand better than another

3. is the a site sponsor who sells Tackle and will post or is in Sydney

4. What size range min to max, i am not into deep see or game.

Thanks for any replies

Jeff.

Hooks need to be reliable so don't necessarily buy the cheapest. I like to hook the fish myself so I avoid circle hooks. Flatties and whiting you need long shank hooks. Large for flatties and smaller for whiting. Baitholder hooks in size 2/0 or 3/0 are good for bream and many other species. Hope you find this helpful.