Sydney heads wedding cake, no bait no kingfish fish?

The_King_Hunter

Hi guys,

My mate and I fished two full mornings down sydney harbour between xmas and new years. Went to our usual bait spots, clifton, tarronga and back up middle harbour and couldn't find any lives.landed a few squid at clifton another day and put them out looking for. Kings at south head and wedding cake. No love.. my question is where where is all the bait nd kings at the moment? Usually see heaps of yaks but didn't see 1! Any one else having same trouble?

i was out last week on a sat. went to Clifton and around the cakes. but couldn't get any kingie. we did manage a few yellow tails. but no kingie were hitting it and also had a squid out also no hit. just small snapper chewing on it.

no big flattie, or bream or snapper! especially KING, but did manage one big fat taylor. so i dont know what happening with the harbour at the moment. a year ago, on my 1st trip to the harbour. we caught like 4king, salmon and bonito and flatty.. i was like " Damn the harbour are good!!" but as each time we went out, the # got smaller and smaller, as i said we only managed 1 keeper last week. im scare the next trip out might be a BIG DONUT" 0 0 0 lol.

Mate they are defiantly there. Caught 5 rats In 2 sessions this week. All 63cm. This was off the rocks, all on sunrise, spinning gars, poppers and stick baits. Had follows from multiple kings nearly every retrieve. Try targeting the edges with a medium slow retrieve or down rig some gars. I would even send out a gar on a lightly weighted skip bait rig ( try to get the bait running just under the surface ) maybe throw poppers and stick baits while doing this. I assume u in a boat. Good luck

I was actually going to ask the same question. whats causing the general slow down of the fish this season? is it the rains, the heat, the cold, the water temp? is it just a late season? does anyone know?

in saying that i think its about to get better. I had 4 sessions between mid to late December and struggled to get livies and spoke to a lot of boaties and no one was catching anything. everyone was saying it was just slow. I went out earlier this week and caught a dozen livies in 20 minutes and there was a few schools of fish busting in teh harbour. I have mates who ducked outside and they picked up 6 kings just outside the heads. I am assuming this rain and murky water has pushed them out, but hoping they'll come in agian soon. figers crossed.

can anyone shed light on the behavior of kingfish in regard to weather, water temp and water murkiness and if they go in and out of the harbour due to these? always trying to learn so we can beat them one day.

Jay Kay

I found the production not that stable around these months. Back to October 2015, I could get 3 hook ups every afternoon just land based around harbour bridge. Now I've been there for 5 days ain't got nothing.

The cakes have been quiet in my last few outings. There are kings in large numbers and size on the southern side of sydney head. The colours Im sure its called. We got busted off a couple of times and got alot of smaller kings. There are alot of bonito around to.

There was a lot of birds (~200) about 200 m south of the cake about 3-5 pm yesterday. They buzzed around for more than one hour. There must be something happening underneath. No boat around that area at that time though.

Back into it today, got a king! Lots of boiling water today around the marker. Tried flicking poppers and metal lures thought they would get smashed with the way the way the water was bubbling. But not so.. Got the one king on yakka and made the last few trips worth it! :)

Guy at the ramp said he was getting monsters last few days but wouldn't say where... possibly long reef?