Jewfish off the beach

Riley06

I don't think there is any "secret" beaches, if you put in the time, you will get one...eventually. I am not an expert, but have got a few over the years, I like a nice deep gutter, and a beach with some reef/rocks just offshore  or a creek/river running out on them seem to be the best.

Edited by noelm

As a kid we would fish for Jewies on Nobbys beach at Newcastle.  My Uncle would come around and tell us that the Jewies were on as he could smell them.  I do not know how but he was always correct.  We always caught more then a feed and they were god size fish.

Not claiming to be an expert, but here is a start.

Manly, Dee Why, Collaroy, Narrabeen, Long Reef, Curl Curl, Palm Beach. 

Jewfish hangout around rock and reef and venture into the beach gutters when the light gets low/dark. The end of a gutter/rip within 100m of the Nth or Sth end of a beach is good as the bigger ones can be lazy not venturing far from home.

I fish 3hrs before to 1 hour after the high tide.

The 4 days leading up to the New moon seem to most productive for me, but just get out any evening you can.

Live mullet (150mm), live yakkas, whole live worms and live/fresh caught squid are good baits. Spend the time to catch your own bait or find a good live bait shop.

Double snelled 4/0 or 5/0 hooks, with the top hook sliding to allow for different bait sizes. Star sinker on plastic slider eezy rig. Don't have to be shy with the leader, I use 50 to 80lb, also helps to land the duskies. You can go lighter of course.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2023 at 7:58 PM, noelm said:

I don't think there is any "secret" beaches, if you put in the time, you will get one...eventually. I am not an expert, but have got a few over the years, I like a nice deep gutter, and a beach with some reef/rocks just offshore  or a creek/river running out on them seem to be the best.

Same here, always seem to have a better chance in deep gutters close to structure and little creeks